XPS 8500 very slow after upgrade to Windows 8

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 8500 very slow after upgrade to Windows 8

This question is not answered

Hi,

Last year I bought my XPS 8500 with Windows 7 preinstalled. After upgrading to Windows 8 my pc is extremely slow ! This is not what Windows 8 -experience should be like. Often applications like Spotify crashes, iTunes is slow and giving an unknown error, Chrome is extreme slow, Excel hangs sometimes when copying data. McAfee gets disables or is unable to update itself. And so on and on...

I'm sick and tired of this and would like to downgrade if I cannot fix this. Unfortunately I do not have a disc with the original image.

I've tried Dell System Diagnostic but every test passes without a problem. Also all my drivers are up to date and my Bios firmware has been upgraded.

Please help !

All Replies
  • Hi,

Welcome to the community

To what Windows 8 version did you upgrade? Can you provide the specifications of your computer please? Thank you.

Regards,

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• I've upgraded tot Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (64-bit) on a Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770 CPY @3,40 GHz with 8 GB RAM. Do you need more specifciations ?

• I suggest a 120gb SSD for use as a boot drive and installing Windows 8 on it.

• Your 8500 should not be slow with Win 8.  Did you upgrade or do a clean install? Did you upgrade to the Win 8 drivers on the Dell site. I would suggest that you reinstall Win 8 or do a Repair. Something isn't right. You also could disable Mcafee and use Windows Defender to see what happens.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 32 bit

• Heck, my OptiPlex GX620 is responsive with Windows 8 Professional. An 8500 should fly.

• Thanks for your suggestion, but I want it to work on my existing configuration with a 1 TB Seagate  harddrive that was built in when I ordered my XPS 8500 last year.

• It should fly that's what everybody is telling me, but it doesn't. Unfortunately, it's hardly as fast as my previous pc with Windows XP

• Any idea how I can do a reinstall without the Win 8 or original image on DVD ? I did not order the original Dell configuration when I ordered my pc and I downloaded the Win 8 upgrade afterwards, I do not have discs for this.

Any suggestion is welcome.

• Check this link

windows.microsoft.com/.../restore-refresh-reset-pc

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• If you paid and downloaded Win 8 for the initial installation, why don't you have disks? You can download the upgrade again and use it with the original Activation Code for a refresh or complete reinstallation.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 32 bit