Optiplex 380 - USB drives not recognized

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Optiplex 380 - USB drives not recognized

This question is not answered

Situation is:

New installation of Win XP SP3, all Dell drivers downloaded & installed, all Windows updates applied.

USB hard drives and memory sticks give a 'Device not recognized' error in any USB port. Show as Unknown device in Device Manager.

USB mouse, keyboard, webcam all work fine in any USB port.

USB drives are recognized fine in Ubuntu after booting with a Live CD.

Already tried:

Uninstall Unknown device in Device Manager, remove usb stick, shut down, unplug computer, then restart

Reinstall chipset drivers (re-run setup with the -overall switch)

Registry edit as suggested at http://suport.microsoft.com/kb/925196 - remove UpperFilters and LowerFilters Registry values.

Suggestions for what to try next welcome...

Andy

All Replies
  • Update:

Just done a clean install of XP SP2 on a newly formatted HD using my Dell Reinstallation CD.

Still get the USB device not recognized message.

Installed the chipset drivers - no change...

• UPDATE:

I've fitted a replacement HD into this troublesome Optiplex 380 and installed Windows 7 Pro on it from a Dell re-installation disk.

The same problem with unrecognized USB memory sticks and HDs still occurs, even after updating the drivers and installing all the Windows updates.

However, if after plugging in a USB stick I go into Device Manager, go to View > Devices by Connection and open the tree down to  USB2 Enhanced Host Controller > USB Hub > Unknown device, then uninstall the USB Hub, I immediately get a popup saying 'This device can perform faster if connected to a USB2 port'. I can then access the stick contents normally. I can also use any other USB stick or HD in any other USB port

This only works until the computer is shut down, on a restart Windows detects USB Root Hubs and installs Device Drivers, and I'm back to the USB Device not recognised scenario again, when plugging in a USB stick.

So, I next disabled the USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - now all USB memory sticks and HDs work - except that I get the 'This device can perform faster...' popup.

Disabling the USB2 controller also works in XP.

So, it looks like there is a problem with the USB2 Enhanced Host Controller or the driver for it.

Any Dell technicians able to comment on this?

• Ok, the fact that both XP and Win 7 exhibit the same problem seems to point to a hardware issue. I would boot to the BIOS and see if there are any settings there that would impact this.

Let me also ask around and see if my buddies have any ideas.

• What other USB devices are connected to this PC? You mentioned the problem goes away if you use a USB hub. Does that hub have its own power brick?

What happens if you boot in Safe Mode?

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• @osprey4

Yes, I'm beginning to think that it's a hardware issue, a very odd one though.

I can't see anything in the BIOS that would be affecting this.

• @osprey4

Just to add that W7 and XP use the same chipset drivers...

• @RoHe

It seems that any USB1 device works fine, the mouse and keyboard are both USB (this system has no PS2 ports), webcam and card reader also work. The hub I used for testing is also USB1 and unpowered.

• There are Quite a few REQUIRED Drivers for XP.

"The hub I used for testing is also USB1 and unpowered"  Can't Do that for mass storage devices.ESPECIALLY IF they are USB 3.0 Devices and not USB 2.0.

You CANNOT GET 500MA power from unpowered Hubs.  You MUST USE a POWERED USB 2.0 HUB with this device.

Device Type: Mass Storage Device
    Protocal Version: USB 2.00
    Current Speed: High Speed
    Max Current: 500mA
    USB Device ID: VID = 090C PID = 1000   >>>>>PNY Attache 32 gb.

Description of the exFAT file system driver update package

Hotfix for Windows XP that adds support for SDHC cards that have a ...

Which Exactly USB Device is "unknown"?  If its a USB hard drive you likely need a USB Y cable to tap extra power OR a Powered USB 2.0 hub.

Chipset - Driver

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
    Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.9.1.1.1025, A02
    Intel Chipset Device Software
    Recommended 9.1.1.1025 2/15/2011 Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows XP x64
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit

Audio - Driver

Realtek ALC269 HD Audio, v.5876, A03
    Realtek ALC269 HD Audio
    Optional 5876 6/18/2010 Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows XP x64

BIOS - BIOS

OptiPlex 380 System BIOS
    OptiPlex 380 System BIOS
    Recommended A07 7/27/2012 BIOS

Security - Driver

ZTE IC Trusted Cryptography Module(TCM), v.05/04/2009,2.1.5.04, A01
    NationZ (ZTEIC) SSX44-B-D-T Driver for Windows OS, X32 and X64 architecture.
    Recommended 05/04/2009,2.1.5.04 9/6/2011 Windows XP x64
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Windows Vista 32-bit

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Are you installing the hardware drivers in the correct order after loading XP? And you selected XP as the OS on the Support page before downloading the drivers?

1. Desktop System Software (System Utilities)
    2. Chipset
    3. Video driver
    4. Audio driver
    5. Network driver
    6. Modem driver
    7. etc

DSS is usually where Dell fixes their "oops", and is frequently where they update USB support. And unless drivers are installed in the correct order (see above), some may not work.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• @SpeedStep

"The hub I used for testing is also USB1 and unpowered"  Can't Do that for mass storage devices.ESPECIALLY IF they are USB 3.0 Devices and not USB 2.0.

You CANNOT GET 500MA power from unpowered Hubs.  You MUST USE a POWERED USB 2.0 HUB with this device.

Well, you may say that, however all my USB2 memory sticks and USB2 HDs  DO work fine through my unpowered USB1 hub. The issue is that they do NOT work when plugged directly into the Optiplex's USB ports.

Which Exactly USB Device is "unknown"?  If its a USB hard drive you likely need a USB Y cable to tap extra power OR a Powered USB 2.0 hub.

The 'Unknown' devices are USB memory sticks and HDs - I have a USB Y cable, it makes no difference.

All the appropriate drivers have been installed.

• @RoHe

I installed the chipset drivers before the DSS.

I'll try a reinstall of W7 later today, installing the DSS first.

and yes, I have selected the correct OS when downloading the drivers!

Video, audio and network all work fine.

• Right - just wiped the HD and reinstalled W7.

I re-downloaded the drivers and installed in the order suggested.

Same as before. On initially inserting a USB stick I get the pop up 'Installing device driver software' followed by 'Device driver software was not successfully installed'. Unknown device is shown in Device Manager. Inserting the USB stick subsequently I get the 'USB device not recognized' popup.

As soon as I disable the USB2 controller in Device Manager (with the USB stick still inserted) I get the pop ups 'Installing device driver software ... successfully installed ...  device is ready to use ... this device can perform faster ... '

• Sounding like a motherboard failure in the USB controller...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Sounding like a motherboard failure in the USB controller...

That's the conclusion I'm coming to :(

As it's nearly a year after the original one year warranty period I guess there little chance of  getting a replacement motherboard out of Dell...

• If you plug in a USB 2.0 POWERED not Passive Hub they devices will work. IF you have installed all the patches and chipset etc.  And If the devices are formatted correctly.

USB 1.0 mode forces the devices to come up in USB 1.0 mode and therefore they use less power.

As you go up in USB aka 2.0 or even 3.0 the power REQUIRED goes up.  USB 3.0 requires 900Ma.  USB 2.0 requires 500MA per port.

The only exception to this and for 1 device only is a Semi Self powered Hub.A USB hub without power supply will typically refuse to provide power to any device that requires more than 100mA current. USB floppy, SuperDisk, ZIP drive, some USB flash drives and most USB ISDN adapters fit into this category.

RE: Dr. Bott T3 USB 2.0 hub - ZDNet

Linux formatted Sticks WILL NOT MOUNT in XP with EXTFS file system nor will MAC OS formatted Sticks.

FAT32 or NTFS are the ones that work with windows.  To write to NTFS formatted sticks requires Tuxera or NTFS3g Catacombe for Mac OS.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.