XPS One 24 won't power on

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS One 24 won't power on

This question is not answered

Hey folks, 

I have a Dell XPS One 24, that is currently not doing so well.

The other day, I put it to sleep and went to bed, when I got up the next morning, it wouldn't do anything. 

It would not turn on, no lights or sounds. Nothing at all.

I have no idea what the problem could be. 

Any suggestions, or advice would be great!

All Replies
  • If you're in the US, call Dell Spare Parts. Give them your Service Tag number and ask for part numbers and prices on a new motherboard and power supply. That'll give you worst case parts costs.

Then look on the web at some of the vendors who sell Dell OEM parts to see if any of them have those exact parts available. Note that some of them sell used or refurbished parts so be sure to consider that and the warranty they and/or Dell offer on replacement parts.  

You can then ask around at reliable local PC shops for their diagnosis fees, etc. You can compare their estimated charges with the prices you can get the parts to see if they're being fair. And maybe ask what they'd charge just to swap those parts if you order them yourself once they determine what's at fault.

The Service Manual for this model makes no mention of replacing the power supply. Does this model use an external power brick or is it an internal power supply?

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Thanks again for all the information, this is great.

I'll try to contact some of the local shops and see what they say about diagnosing & fees.

The power brick is internal.

Everything is crammed in the machine. Hardly any space at all.

• RoHe

Does this model use an external power brick or is it an internal power supply?

Would be good to know, but either way, there is likely some kind of power supply sub-assembly in there ... either AC-to-DC or DC-to-DC (like a laptop, x51, etc.)

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• This is a really common problem with this Dell machine. I'm still working through the same issue, I started with the power supply, then ruled out the mother board, and am now waiting for a cable that runs from MB to power switch board on front of machine. If you Google your issue you'll find masses of posts about what to do & try.

If my new cable doesn't work then I'm stuck because the next part I need is only available in America ????

Unless anybody else can tell me where in the UK to get -

DELL XPS 420 USB FIREWIRE AUDIO BOARD XK488 CN-0XK488

Doesn't seem right to supply the machine but no spares support??

Try this link here, copy & paste  -

en.community.dell.com/.../19650960.aspx

• stewarta13wsb

This is a really common problem with this Dell machine. I'm still working through the same issue, I started with the power supply, then ruled out the mother board, and am now waiting for a cable that runs from MB to power switch board on front of machine. If you Google your issue you'll find masses of posts about what to do & try.

Yes, as I suggested to OP ... test power switch. If it's attached to a digital board, sometimes you can only replace assembly and see if it works. But even then, it's usually the actual soldered-in switch.

Actually, this is an All-In-One ... a pretty different machine than an XPS-420.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• I am able to power on the computer and am not able to get the display; the status of power LED and media control buttons appears to be OK.

Problem seemed to happen after I downloaded some Microsoft updates; since then I power on and get the Microsoft Windows logo and then within 30 seconds I hear a "click" and the screem goes dark.

I tried some of the steps ( disconnect and hold the start button for >30 seconds; and change the wall outlet).  One time I received an error message giving me a list of restarting the computer in the "safe mode" etc or restart  normally.  I one time had the option of six things (like change password, etc) Since then I have a dark screen again.Help

• I am able to power on the computer and am not able to get the display; the status of power LED and media control buttons appears to be OK. XPS One 24 <ADMIN NOTE: Srvice tag removed per privacy policy>

Problem seemed to happen after I downloaded some Microsoft updates; since then I power on and get the Microsoft Windows logo and then within 30 seconds I hear a "click" and the screem goes dark.

I tried some of the steps ( disconnect and hold the start button for >30 seconds; and change the wall outlet).  One time I received an error message giving me a list of restarting the computer in the "safe mode" etc or restart  normally.  I one time had the option of six things (like change password, etc) Since then I have a dark screen again.Help

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

XPS One 24 Edit tags

• Hi Tesla1856,

I am having the same issue as described in this thread. I am very tech savvy, and willing to do the work myself if I can properly diagnose the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Freakoufan

Hi Tesla1856,

I am having the same issue as described in this thread. I am very tech savvy, and willing to do the work myself if I can properly diagnose the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You've resurrected an old thread.

Which problem (please repeat or start new thread). Also repeat exact model.

Not sure if it's built like a laptop or desktop. Troubleshoot like a normal desktop. If it won't power-on ... check voltage from AC-Adapter (if it has one), check voltage of power supply (desktop Digital Power Supply Tester might fit), power switch, etc.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.