Power supply failure

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Power supply failure

This question is answered

I got an XPS8100 about 2 years ago in Canada (110V) and brought it
to Sweden (220V) recently. Unfortunately I was too careless to plug in the power cord
without checking the voltage. Of course the PC doesn't work anymore. But I
still hope that it's only the power box that was destroyed and nothing else.

Please help:

- What really happened to the CPU? Was it only the power
that was burnt, or all the CPU is damaged now?

- If it's only the power is destroyed, what can I do now,
can I buy the new power supply part from Dell, and where/how to buy it?

- Any other suggestions that you can help.

Thank you.

Verified Answer
  • Ctmap

Hopefully it's only the power supply is toast, but you will not know for sure until the power supply is replaced.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and EPS/ATX12V 8/4-pin connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is needed.

The procedure for replacing the power supply, is HERE

The only minor problem you might have, the retail power supply wiring harness is longer and has more connectors than the Dell OEM unit, is finding the space to put the cables in, to avoid this, you could use a modular power supply.

As you are replacing the PSU, look for a unit that has more wattage than the Dell OEM power supply.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• OUCH!

Hard to know for certain if anything else fried before the PSU failed until you replace it.

If Dell used a 'generic' power supply in this system, you can probably find one at a local PC shop in Sweden or at an on-line vendor who can sell/ship to Sweden.

You might also find the original PSU at eBay or at any of the vendors who sell OEM Dell parts . I don't know if Dell Spare Parts in the USA can sell/ship to Sweden, but there's probably Dell Support contact for Sweden.

Specs from the manual:

1. DC Power Supply
    2. Wattage 350 W
    3. Maximum heat dissipation 1836 BTU/hr
    4. Input voltage 115/230 VAC
    5. Input frequency 50/60 Hz
    6. Rated output current 8 A/4 A

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

All Replies
  • Ctmap

Hopefully it's only the power supply is toast, but you will not know for sure until the power supply is replaced.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and EPS/ATX12V 8/4-pin connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is needed.

The procedure for replacing the power supply, is HERE

The only minor problem you might have, the retail power supply wiring harness is longer and has more connectors than the Dell OEM unit, is finding the space to put the cables in, to avoid this, you could use a modular power supply.

As you are replacing the PSU, look for a unit that has more wattage than the Dell OEM power supply.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• OUCH!

Hard to know for certain if anything else fried before the PSU failed until you replace it.

If Dell used a 'generic' power supply in this system, you can probably find one at a local PC shop in Sweden or at an on-line vendor who can sell/ship to Sweden.

You might also find the original PSU at eBay or at any of the vendors who sell OEM Dell parts . I don't know if Dell Spare Parts in the USA can sell/ship to Sweden, but there's probably Dell Support contact for Sweden.

Specs from the manual:

1. DC Power Supply
    2. Wattage 350 W
    3. Maximum heat dissipation 1836 BTU/hr
    4. Input voltage 115/230 VAC
    5. Input frequency 50/60 Hz
    6. Rated output current 8 A/4 A

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Bev typed faster than me...again...  Embarrassed

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Ron,

Sorry about that,  Stick out tongue

It's probably because I've recently been trying to improve my typing skills.LOL

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Hi Bev and Ron,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check your suggestions carefully in order to fully understand them :-), will contact Dell Sweden too.

As you can guess, i'm totally a newbie (to did such a dumb thing).

• Ctmap

You are welcome.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Hopefully the fuse blew before it did much damage.  That would mean just replacing the power supply.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.