Dual monitors with AMD RADEON HD 7470

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dual monitors with AMD RADEON HD 7470

This question is not answered

I'm looking at buying some Optiplex 3010's. But I cannot tell what I need for dual monitors.

I am looking at the radeon 7470 option. Does anyone know if this includes the "Y" cables for both VGA and DVI?

AMD RADEON™ HD 7470 1GB DDR3 DP/DVI w/VGA & DVI
Adapters,FH, for Windows® 8 [Included in Price]
All Replies
  • bnordberg

I'm looking at buying some Optiplex 3010's. But I cannot tell what I need for dual monitors.

I am looking at the radeon 7470 option. Does anyone know if this includes the "Y" cables for both VGA and DVI?

AMD RADEON™ HD 7470 1GB DDR3 DP/DVI w/VGA & DVI
    Adapters,FH, for Windows® 8 [Included in Price]

accessories.euro.dell.com/.../productdetail.aspx

The answer is NO and NO.

It has 1 DVI and 1 Display port it does NOT USE LFH. A low-force helix (LFH) is a 60-pin  (four rows of 15 pins) with signals for two DVI and VGA connectors.

The AMD Radeon HD7470 (OUGA9) is a mainstream add-on graphics card targeted at selected Dell business client desktop platforms (OptiPlex), replacing AMD Radeon HD 6350 (OUGA8). AMD Radeon HD7470 (OUGA9) is a PCI Express 2.1 x16 half-length card that can be installed on ATX/BTX system chassis. It features a low profile PCB that can be mounted on either standard height (Desktop, MiniTower) or low profile (Small Form Factor) systems, with appropriate I/O brackets.

Manufacturer Part : DFKYM
    Dell Part : 490-13853

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• So what is my best option for dual monitors??

Here's what I can choose from.

Intel® Integrated Graphics VGA/HDMI w/o Adapter [subtract $50.73]

Intel® Integrated Graphics w/Single HDMI/VGA [subtract $47.71]

AMD RADEON™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 DP/DVI w/o Adapters,FH [add $24.76]

AMD RADEON™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 DP/DVI w/VGA & DVI Adapters,FH [add $30.80]

AMD RADEON™ HD 7470 1GB DDR3 DP/DVI w/o Adapters,FH [subtract $6.04]

AMD RADEON™ HD 7470 1GB DDR3 DP/DVI w/VGA & DVI Adapters,FH add $0.00

Dell Recommended

Microsoft Windows 8

AMD RADEON™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 DP/DVI w/o Adapters,FH, for Windows® 8 [add $24.76]

AMD RADEON™ HD 7470 1GB DDR3 DP/DVI w/o Adapters,FH, for Windows® 8 [subtract $6.04]

AMD RADEON™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 DP/DVI w/VGA & DVI Adapters,FH, for Windows® 8 [add $30.80]

AMD RADEON™ HD 7470 1GB DDR3 DP/DVI w/VGA & DVI Adapters,FH, for Windows® 8 [Included in Price]

• NONE.  None have LFH.  You want an LFH Card for Dual VGA or DVI.

The Best Card would be the 6570  its better than any 74XX series.

Get a sales Rep that can sell you the DELL part you want for your system.

VisionTek Radeon HD 6570 SFF DMS59 - Graphics card - Radeon HD 6570 - 1 GB - PCI Express 2.1 x16 low profile - Mini DisplayPort, DMS-59
    Usually Ships Within 24 Hours
    Manufacturer Part# 900463
    Dell Part# A5690002
    VisionTEK
    Radeon HD4550 PCIe 512MB DMS59 dual monitor SFF-Short + Tall brackets

VisionTek Radeon HD 6350 DMS 59 DP - Graphics card - Radeon HD 6350 - 1 GB - PCI Express x16 low profile - Mini DisplayPort, DMS-59
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 DMS59 512 MB DDR2 PCIe 2.0 SFF Graphic Card

• I'm unfortunately dealing with Dell Premier - so no returned phone calls, emails ... So far the forumn is the only place I can get answers!

Looks like if I want a 3rd Gen Intel, I can't get dual monitor video cards. UUGH!

• bnordberg

I'm unfortunately dealing with Dell Premier - so no returned phone calls, emails ... So far the forumn is the only place I can get answers!

Looks like if I want a 3rd Gen Intel, I can't get dual monitor video cards. UUGH!

That's not right.   What country are you in?

What you can do is buy the system with the Cheapest Radeon HD and then Swap in a 6570 DMS 59 card also purchased from dell.

I have access to a real live dell sales person that DOES return my calls etc.

Windows index for 74XX card is 3.4

Windows index for 6570 card is 7.1

I'll ask someone on the Dell Sales team about it.

Will need to know how many you want and what country you are in and if you are business or home user etc.

Unfortunately there is no one stop shopping for the earth.

• I'm in the US - higher ED/Healthcare.

I guess my other option would be to order integrated graphics and then throw in a second cheap PCI-e x16 video card. Do you think I can use both integrated and a secondary simultaneously in the Optiplex 3010?

something like: accessories.us.dell.com/.../productdetail.aspx

These are for business use, so I don't care at all about graphics performance! But I would like a 3rd Gen i5.

• "US - higher ED/Healthcare."

Then you should be able to get an inside sales rep that

WILL Return calls and Emails and get you a quote for the exact spec with a DMS 59 video card in each one.

Chat      Contact Us

• Still no call back from my rep, but I talked to parts. They said to use the display port and adapt to VGA or DVI via Dongle to one monitor. And use the DVI to DVI on another monitor. That should give me Dual display - that will support extended desktop. I hope they are right!

• While that will it will cost considerably more for a lesser card.

The "adapter" costs $35 or more plus the card.

• Actually the 7450 is only a $50 add on. So when I buy 8 of these, it will be $200 less than doing the 6500 seperatly. But I agree it is inferior. And maddening that I had to spend half the day on it! I'm going to start looking for a different vendor that is a more wanting of my business! Dell seems to be going to be in serious decline.

• I completely agree with the "decline" comment.  I have been using Dell exclusively for about 7 years now.  I convince all of my clients to go with Dell, even when they fight me on it and want to go with HP instead.  I usually spend a lot of time putting together a very convincing spreadsheet as to why Dell is a better quality company, but I must say that the Sales department has gone WAY down hill in the last 7 months.  Support is still great, but Sales seems very messy now.  I used to be able to have my 1 rep that I called and got great support.  Now, I have to bug people to give me the quotes.  Also, now, once I buy software, it is like pulling teeth to get the codes.  I keep having to ask about it over and over.  As a Dell partner, I typically expect better.

• I also completely agree with the "decline" comment.  first of all,  I have just spent several hours figuring out that the "dual" monitor 7470 will not work with the professional series monitors dell sells.  don't get the 7470 unless you have a monitor with builtin dvi ports.  you can then convert from dvi-d to dvi-i.  that's beside the point. 

I have been buying dell for 15 years.  everything SLWTX1983 wrote is absolutely correct.  I am finding it easier to get in touch with HP support that with dell.  and god forbid that I want a quote from government sales.  They are non-existent.   I use my premier page to quote computers and then usualy get a quote from a rep for the actual customer who will be buying the computer.  It is terrible.   If morale is so low with sales that they can't even take 5 mintues to send me a quote, things are really bad.  I acutally spent half a day trying to figure out how to get signed up with HP to start buying HPs.  I really don't want to do that becuase their support sucks so bad. 

some examples.  One of my customers recieved a letter from a rep that the warranty on the server was about to expire.  I have spent 4 days trying to get that rep to contact me back.  nothing.  no call back. no email. I even emailed his boss.... nothing.  I just want to buy a warranty extension, but I can't do it becuase no sales rep will sell it to me.  amazing. 

Dell...... what the heck is going on??????

• The adapter will work for you, but you will need a DVI cable and a DisplayPort cable.  And you can connect a 3rd monitor with a VGA bracket kit.  Dell doesn't make this clear at all when ordering.

• The adapter came with a display port cable.  The display port cable has a DVI-D connection.  the DVI-D connection cannot transport analog to VGA.  only the DVI-I can transport analog to VGA. You can purchase a cable that will adapt DVI-D to DVI-I.  The will work provided your monitor has DVI-D or DVI-I ports.  The 1913S monitors we ordered with the computer only have VGA.  you cannot get from DVI-D to vga unless you buy a more expensive converter.  We learned our lesson and will know for ourselves how not to get in situation next time.  

The Dell premier quoting tool nor the Dell sales rep alerted us to the fact that the monitor we were ordering would not work with the video card we were ordering.  

As for Dell government sales.  I cannot get them to sell me anything.  I tried to buy a laptop last week.  I could not get a rep to respond at all.  I tried calling in to get the next available rep, only to be cut off.  

I have tried 7 days now to order a warranty extension for a poweredge T410 server from the government division.  nobody will answer an email or phone message.  when calling in and selecting government, the line just goes dead.  

I have this vision of the Dell offices being overgrown with weeds and climbing plants such as in some apocolyptic future movie.  

• Can you tell me more about this VGA bracket kit ?  Model number ?  Price ?  Installation dificulty ?  And any "side effect" to the pc/system that I would have to "live-with" ?  Thnx.