Computer not powering down after shutdown Window 7

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Computer not powering down after shutdown Window 7

This question is not answered

I just got my Dell XPS 8500 a few days ago, it comes with i7-3770, 12GB of SDRAM, Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.  I noticed that when I select shut down, Window 7 is going through the process of shutting down but the pc just doesn't cut the power off to the motherboard, fans, they are still going and power light is still on. I can only complete the shutdown by holding down the power button for a few seconds.  Does anyone have the same issue and how to fix this issue.  I am not sure if this is hardware or software problem. 

Thanks for the help in advance.

All Replies
  • Hi,

Welcome to the Community. I hereby understand that you are unable to turn of the computer when you click on start and then shutdown. The computer needs to be turned off manually by holding the power button.  

Please try to update the BIOS which should fix this issue.

Please click on the below link to find the BIOS drivers for this computer:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Once you update BIOS, you need to restart the computer. Please check and update us regarding this issue. We will try our best to get this issue fixed at the earliest.

Regards,

Santosh J

Certified Dell Community Professional

• Thanks for the information. 

Just to clarify, when I click on Start and then Shutdown, Window did shut down (my screen gone blank, mouse and keyboard are inactive) but when

I looked at the computer at the back, fan is still on, power led is still on, the pc did not seem to be powered off unless I hold down the power button for a few second.

• Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. The information that you have given is very clear and easy to understand.

We have faced similar issue on other computer. This issue was fixed when we updated the BIOS. Hence, I request you to try updating the BIOS and check if you are able to completely turn off the computer.

Please click on the below link to find the BIOS drivers for this computer:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Please keep us updated if the issue is persist. We will be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Santosh J

• I just updated the BIOS, A06, but I am still not be able to completely turn off the computer.

Please suggest next step.

• Hi,

I am sorry as the issue did not get resolved from the troubleshooting steps that we provided. Since the issue is still not fixed, I request you to provide the service tag of the computer.

Please do not post any of your personal information or even the service tag of the computer on public forum. I request you to accept my friend request and send the service tag under private message. This would enable us to follow up further on this issue.

We will try our best to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Regards,

Santosh J

• Hi,

I have the same issue with my DELL Inspiron n311z which I bought last june 9.  This issue just started last week.  I did the bios update and even restoring my Windows 7 Premium 64bit to factory settings.  But problem still persist.

How can I send you a private message?  So that I could send to you my service tag number.   

Hope you can post a solution for this problem as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bryan B. 

• Hi, 

Just to update on my issue:  I ended up calling Dell support (since the PC is new and come with 1 year free support) and they dispatched a call to a local rep.

The local Dell rep. came and replaced the mother board and this fixed the issue.

Regards,

HN 

• Hi,

I called Dell support and they are dispatching local representative tomorrow.

Cheers,

BAB

• Hi Bryan,

I have sent a request to add you as a friend of Dell community forum. Please accept the friend request which will allow you to send a private message. You may then provide the service tag of the computer under private message so that we will be able to follow up further on it.

Regards,

Dell_Santosh_J

Dell  Social Media & Community