BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW F1 TO CONTINUE

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW F1 TO CONTINUE

• Hello, 

Here is my issue: When trying to startup my old Dell Optiplex GX620, my computer doesn't boot into WindowsXp Pro, but rather stays in BIOS and states, "BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW F1 TO CONTINUE.

Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt

\windows\system32\config\system

attempt to repair file using original setup CD-ROM

select r at the first screen to start repair."

Did some research, and many seemed to say that replacing my CMOS battery and reinstalling windows and drivers would do the trick; however this didn't work. I was never able to reinstall windows because when I attempted to boot from CDROM with Windows XP Dell OEM in the CD-ROM,  computer read something like, "CD ROM unable to be found - F1 to retry, F2 to run setup utility".

Now when I startup the computer, it reads "Floppy diskette seek failure  Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility".

Not sure how this can be, but it is. When I enter setup utility, my hard drive and then CD ROM are first, and then second in boot sequence. Onboard or USB Floppy is listed as "not present".

Any help out there?

Sincerely, Jaga

• Hi Jaga,

First, you may not need to reinstall Windows, so please don't try to do so before fixing the BIOS.

When you replaced the motherboard battery, all of your BIOS settings were lost. So you need to boot to the BIOS (F2), and check your drive settings. It might be necessary to turn your hard drive and CD drive on in DRIVES. Disable the floppy drive controller.

It is possible that your hard drive is bad. The missing or corrupt error indicates a possible problem there. The way to diagnose this is by booting to your Dell drivers and utilities disc and running the diagnostics.

• Hi Osprey,

OK. I think my BIOS settings are intact. HDD is booted 1st, then CD-ROM. I did run a Hard Drive Diagnostics in the Boot Device Menu. There is an option that can be selected called "Hard Drive Diagnostics". When I select it, CPU comes back: Hard Drive Diagnostics running, please wait...

Drive 0: WDC WD800JD-75MSA3 - Fail. Return Code: 7

--Reason Code: 56874C1GgaS

Drive 1: TSSTcorpCD-RW/DVD-ROM TSL462C - Diagnostics not supported

Test complete, Press ENTER to reboot

I guess my hard drive is bad huh?! lol. Thanks for the help. What are my options really? Buy a new hard drive? For this machine, I wonder if its even worth it? Thanks again for your help. Any more would be much appreciated.

• Oops! Yes, time for a new hard drive, my friend.

Since the GX620 takes an SATA drive, my recommendation would be to just replace the drive. For under $100, you can get a 750GB to 1TB drive. You can get a few more years out of that old girl.

• Wow really! That is great news. I know that it has to be compatible with Dell, so any further recommendations as far as brand or compatability?

• No, any desktop SATA drive will work. There should be no compatibility issues. I would just grab whatever is on sale.

• Thanks for all your help Osprey!!! I love the idea of keeping this thing around for a bit longer.