Dell XPS 8500 Factory Restore - Dell Factory Image Restore Option Missing on F8 Boot Menu - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Dell XPS 8500 Factory Restore - Dell Factory Image Restore Option Missing on F8 Boot Menu

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell XPS 8500 Factory Restore - Dell Factory Image Restore Option Missing on F8 Boot Menu

This question is not answered

I have quite a sick brand new XPS 8500 and want to do a Windows 7 PC Restore to Factory settings as indicated http://supportapj.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

Background:

It was configured out of box with Home Premium and went through the setup process ok with a restore point created. 

I then proceeded to do an inplace upgrade the OS to Windows 7 Ultimate Edition  and my woes started as the machine rebooted and now blue screens on boot.

I then tried to do a clean install boot of DVD, but after it loads files it can’t see the local drive to access the partition.

I now want to restore to factory settings, but on hitting the "F8" key, I am not presented with "Repair Your Computer" option.

F8 Boot Options I am presented with:

Safe Mode

Safe Mode w/ Networking

Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging

Enable low-resolution video

Last Known Good Configuration

Directory Services Restore Mode

Debuggin gMode

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

Any ideas how I can do a Factory Restore without "Click Dell Factory Image Restore." option on boot menu?

All Replies
  • Hi alameincircle,

Welcome to the Community.

If you have clean reinstalled Windows 7 using the installation disc then Dell Factory Image Restore will be deleted from the hard drive partition.

Im afraid there is no other way to get back Dell Factory Image once a clean installation is done using the DVD.

Glad to be of any help.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.

• The recovery partition was left intact.  An upgrade from DVD was done (not Windows Anytime Upgrade) to update the C: (OS) partition.  Definitely no way to restore factory image?   Worst case is there option to send back to Dell?

• Hi alameincircle,

Thank you for the quick reply.

If the operating system was upgraded or reinstalled using the DVD, the Dell Factory Image Restore will be lost. Sending the laptop to repair may not help as depot technician normally replace the required parts or reinstall the operating system if needed. But getting back the Dell Factory Image is not an option.

Glad to be of any help.

Thanks and Regards
    Satya P
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click the green "
    Yes" button.

• The restore can actually be done as long as you still have the partition intact.  You will need a Windows DVD to do the job.

First link:  procedure.

Second link:  order form for the disc.

smsoftdev-solutions.blogspot.com/.../how-to-restore-dell-factory-image-when.html

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

• hi ejn63. thanks and sounds promising; will give it a try in morning.

• I know this is a little late but i think i may have stumbled on a potential workaround for the missing "Dell Factory Image Restore" option.

The other day i "upgraded" my Win7 XPs 8500 to Win8.  After a few days of using Win8 i decided to revert back to Win7!  The problem was Win8 would not allow me to access the F8 menu.  Out of desperation i reinstalled Win7 from a DVD but when i used the F8 menu "Dell Factory Image Restore" was missing.  After a lot of time looking around the internet i stumbled on this workaround:

IMPORTANT: This will only work if you still have the RECOVERY partition on you HDD.  Also make sure you have your files backed up!  ;-)

1) Open Dell DataSafe Local Backup-Basic Edition.  If you don't have it you will need to install it.  Here is a direct link: dslbdownload.datasafelocalbackup.com/DataSafeLocalBackup_Basic.exe

2) On the first page you will see the option to create System Recovery Media on either Disc or a Flash Drive.  As it implies this option will essentially copy your Recovery partition to disc/flash drive.

3) Once created reboot the computer and boot into the newly created discs/flash drive.  You will be asked if you want to recover from the recovery partition on the HDD or from the discs.  Choose the Discs.  If you choose the HDD it will load the F8 menu with the Dell Factory Image Restore" option missing.

That's it.  Your computer will not be factory reset.

Hope that helps someone.

Paul