Problem starting up Dell inspiron 530

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Problem starting up Dell inspiron 530

This question is not answered

I have a dell Inspiron 530 and i don't have any idea of how it got like this but when pressing the power button nothing seems to start even the fans so i unplugged the power cord and decided to open up my Dell inspiron 530 everything seems to be in place and fine but, when i plugged in the power cord again i soon to find out that there is a solid orange light on the motherboard anyone has any ideas of what this mean? if it helps here is a picture of how it looks like.

All Replies
  • sherman123 

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'], indicates the motherboard has +5VFP power is reaching it and not an indication that the power supply has not failed.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• When pressing the power button nothing starts up.

• Do i have to go buy a new power cord or something? sorry i'm very new too this.

• sherman123

No, you don't need a power cord, as the power supply fan does not work, the power button LED is not lite and there are no  'Beeps", it's probably a failed power supply, try installing different PSU.

Assuming that you have an Inspiron Mini Tower and not the Slimline version.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

The power supply replacement procedure is HERE

Check out the Corsair and Antec lines of power supplies and look for a 450w/500w unit.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Ok so i bought me a new PSU a ULTRA LS LIFETIME SERIES 400 WATT PEAK ATX POWER SUPPLY and i plugged everything up turn the switch on from the PSU and tried pressing the power button nothing happens and still the light.

• sherman123

I'm curious, how many SATA drives does your Inspiron 530 have, as the ULTRA LS LIFETIME SERIES 400w PSU specifications show only has two SATA power connectors, yet the 530 supports four SATA drives?

As the power supply has been replaced, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals and the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor. 

Note: the processor rarely fails.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• The Solid orange light only means the M/board has a 5Volt supply. Before you buy another PSU I suggest you pull out the 4-pin power plug next to the CPU. Plug in your power and press the front power button. The fans should all spin at full speed. That means your PSU is good (normally). Stop the system by pulling out the power cord. Plug in the 4-pin back press the front power button again. the cpu fan will turn for a few seconds and then stop, and nothing happens. On mine I replaced the cpu (only because I had a spare one) and its been working ever since. I never retried the original cpu again. But admittedly it is very RARE for a CPU to go

• Nkata

The OP has posted, that they have already replaced the power supply with a new unit.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Remove the power cables, wait for the orange light to go off, Remove the RAM cards (Memory Cards) Green ruler cards near the Orange Light held by Black and white clips. Plug in the power cord and update the count of beep codes you get. That should tell whether its a proble with psu or motherboard.

Also connect the power cable at the back and see if the fans spin momentarily - that means the psu if fine.

Mark my answer as resolved if your issue is resolved

Best Regards,

VeejDeej

Endorse me: http://goo.gl/C3567
    Dell user
  • shesagordie

sherman123

I'm curious, how many SATA drives does your Inspiron 530 have, as the ULTRA LS LIFETIME SERIES 400w PSU specifications show only has two SATA power connectors, yet the 530 supports four SATA drives?

As the power supply has been replaced, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals and the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor. 

Note: the processor rarely fails.

Bev.

I have a 530 and the exact same problem, however when I reached the step highlighted above. (after the memory out), my fans came on, and two beeps started over and over. I read that is tied to memory, but when I take out the memory cards and put one in back in DIMM 1 it goes back to nothing. No fans or anything.

Thanks for the help. I continuously monitor this thread. Thanks again.

•  Stonecuttercat

Have you tried the following:

Remove all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1 and see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot, try installing any remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

Continue until you have identified any faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Then if the computer still does not start, it's possible that the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• ok so i know this might be a little old of a post just a little bit and you might have found out the problem but i wanna know if you were taking stuff out of the case and/or messing with the two front led's plug because if this is happening A:you were taking the motherboard and/or any of the cards out of theyre slots and you shorted out the psu by incorrectly placing a spacer under the board or B:when messing with the plug for the led's after doing what you were doing,you plugged the chord in incorrectly causing it not to start up,because those two lights complete a circuit in the computer. 

the second one is what i did and i thought i had ruined my computer,but nope just the led chord was plugged in incorrectly with 4 prongs off to the side of the chord.

hope this helped. sorry i'm 2 years late Huh?