Inspiron 530s runs very slow?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron 530s runs very slow?

This question is answered

Any help trying to speed up slow Inspiron 530s would be greatly appreciated at this point?Storm

Verified Answer
  • Crucial Memory  Click Me  is what most techies on here recommend for non-Dell memory as it is guaranteed to work in Dell's.  BIOS should not be an issue and I don't recomment BIOS updates unless absolutely needed - a failed/corrupted BIOS and the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard. The latest BIOS is a March 2009 date and may be what you have.  It doesn't do anything except a new Power On BIOS logo - nothing to do with any hardware or memory.

Address book, favorites, user files such as pictures, data processing files, music, etc can be put on "flash drives" (USB Memory Keys), data CD or DVD's.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

All Replies
  • More info is needed. What OS?  We are totally lost with only "runs slow" statement.    

I am not a Dell Employee

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

• Sorry, Windows Vista 6.0, 1013 MB memory, Intel p3 1995 MHz

• But, how is it "slow"?  Does it boot up slow?  Does it open programs slow?  Does it access the internet slow?  

If you only have 1GB of RAM (Memory) that can be one issue, but if you only had one 1GB of RAM it would be 1024 not 1013..  Go to the Control Panel, RIGHT click on My Computer and then LEFT click on Properties.  Report back on how much memory it shows installed.  

Also, you have more than a P3 processor, they went out way before the 530S was made. The Dell manual shows 3 possible CPU's:

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor

Intel® Celeron® processor

I am not a Dell Employee

• Windows Edition - Windows Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 2

Processor - Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00 GHz  2.00 GHz

Memory - 1.00 GB

System Type - 32 bit operating system

• "Slow"  It boots up slow? & It open programs slow.

• I have an Inspiron 530 with Vista 32bit OS, with the same problems. According to CPU-Z, my processor speed is 1.2 Ghz(Bus speed of 200mhz and a multiplier of 6).the processor is a Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz, same as yours. Even when the processor is running flat out, the multiplier stays at 6 instead of increasing to 10 which it should do. I also Get the same result when i run PC Doctor. Install CPU-Z and find out what your processor is actually running at. 

• Although memory won't make the PC run faster, it will allow more room for programs, etc.  I would upgrade the memory to at least 2GB as a first step.  Vista and Windows 7, although managing memory better than XP, are memory hogs.

It may just take a complete fresh (clean) install.  It will be amazed at how fast it runs again (like it did when new).  If you haven't messed with the Dell Recovery Partition (I think this model came with it) or changed OS, the recovery partition will allow you to restore the PC to the original factory condition (and no discs are needed).  

How to run the Dell PC Restore (F8 at power on to access).

If you want to check the hardware, F12 at power on will bring up a menu and one of the options will be hardware testing (diagnostics).

I am not a Dell Employee

• Thanks for all your help fireberd, it is very much appreciated!

Do you have any suggestions on memory purchase and the best way to back up address book, favorites etc. Tom

PS: The last laptop memory upgrade I did it was suggested to install latest BIOS, does this apply here?

• Crucial Memory  Click Me  is what most techies on here recommend for non-Dell memory as it is guaranteed to work in Dell's.  BIOS should not be an issue and I don't recomment BIOS updates unless absolutely needed - a failed/corrupted BIOS and the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard. The latest BIOS is a March 2009 date and may be what you have.  It doesn't do anything except a new Power On BIOS logo - nothing to do with any hardware or memory.

Address book, favorites, user files such as pictures, data processing files, music, etc can be put on "flash drives" (USB Memory Keys), data CD or DVD's.

I am not a Dell Employee