All USB ports shut off once a day

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

All USB ports shut off once a day

This question is not answered

Here's an interesting problem. I have a Dell XPS 9000 running Win 7 Pro. If I shut the computer off overnight and turn it on in the morning it will boot into the logon screen and if I leave it at the logon screen for a minute or two every USB port on the computer just shuts off. No mouse or keyboard. I can watch the lights on the mouse and keyboard turn off. Unplugging them and switching to other ports has no effect. It's like the USB ports just turned off. If I log into windows the same thing happens after a minute or two. My only option is to hold the power switch to shut it down. The only thing in the event logs is the unexpected shutdown I had to do. Nothing about USB. After I shut it off and back on the USB ports works fine. If I leave the computer on 24/7 the ports never fail. It only happens if I shut the computer off overnight.

This happens with every keyboard and mouse I've tried in every USB port. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

All Replies
  • Turn off power management on all the USB root hubs and make sure in the CMOS that USB devices can wake the machine.

Have you checked your power management under device manager for your mouse?

·          Click Start Orb > type Device Manager in searchbox

·          Click Device Manager in search results

·          Expand Mice and other pointing devices > right-click on your mouse > click Properties

·          Click Power Management tab

·           Check  Allow this device to wake the computer

·          Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

·          Click OK

Disable Hibernation.

The Hiberfil.sys hidden system file is located in the root folder of the drive where the operating system is installed. The Windows Kernel Power Manager reserves this file when you install Windows. The size of this file is approximately equal to how much random access memory (RAM) is installed on the computer.

The computer uses the Hiberfil.sys file to store a copy of the system memory on the hard disk when the hybrid sleep setting is turned on. If this file is not present, the computer cannot hibernate.

To have us disable and enable hibernation for you, visit the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, visit the "Let me fix it myself" section.

Fix it for me

To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

Enable hibernation on Windows
    Microsoft Fix it 50462

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Did everything Speedstep suggested but that did not fix the problem.

This only happens once when I first turn on the computer. After the USB ports shut off and I hard reset the computer they work fine. Nothing in the system or app logs except the unexpected shutdown I'm forced to do.