CPU Heatsink- direct fit replacement for c955n inside Inspiron 570?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

CPU Heatsink- direct fit replacement for c955n inside Inspiron 570?

This question is answered

Hey, hope someone out there has the answer I'm looking for...

I just upgraded from my Athlon X2 270 to a Athlon x3 455. It was very worthwhile- cost next to buy a brand new one online, and it raised my CPU benchmark from 1979 to 3196 based on actual test data. However, I want to make sure I keep the new 95w chip cool.

Does anyone know of a heatsink and fan assembly being widely sold (hopefully on the affordable side) that will fit directly into the same screw pattern as the C955n? I read on the forums in one post of the  lga1156 being a perfect fit in theory, but the poster never followed it up with confirmation.

Help is greatly appreciated!

First i570 Overclocker
Overclockers.com Benchmarking Team Member
FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz  / Phenom X4 @ 4.3ghz
i570 #2 project In progress 

Verified Answer
  • Theoretically speaking, if this one fits confirmed here, so Intel 775 socket coolers all will, just make sure there are screws in the package. This is the easy way, I went the difficult one, if needed will explain (but I have 125 watt Phenom 965 BE with CPU mark of 4496.7).

Just a little question to you, you sated that you maxed out your RAM to 16 GB (official only 8 GB), does BIOS see all 16 GB at 1333 speed? Please reply, need RAM upgrade here.

Inspiron 570 remastered in Cooler Master HAF 912 case

6 intake and exhaust 120 mm FANS <> Phenom II x4 965 BE OC to 4.0GHz <> Cooler Master Hyper 612 <> MSI 660 2GB OC <> 180 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 64 MB Cache HDD for Games as extension of SSD, 500 GB WD Caviar Blue HDD as data and 160 GB WD as backup (through PCI SATA card) <> 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 <>Hitachi GH70N DVD <> Corsair GS 600 PSU <> Battlefield 3 60 FPS on ULTRA

• Ok, your situation is worse than mine. First, since as you noticed you need cooler with 4 screws only, anything with standard mounting clips or AMD clip is requiring a lot of headache to adapt to Dell MOBO, also I measured back and forth all the room inside, so only vertical 92 mm coolers can fit, TX3 is a very good choice - mine is the copy of this by Rocketfish from BestBuy, however no screws there and it was pain to install this. This one reported good results in our situation with 4 cores and it is easy to install - 4 screws attached, also exhaust fan to consider. Look at OCCT TMPIN1 and FANIN1 results - it is MOBO temperature and exhaust fan RPM. Exhaust fan on mine was weak and I changed it to this - saw mild improvement. for exhaust fan use only 3 pin + 4 pin Fan because you need to disable PWM control to run your fan at fixed RPM. You can not change any fan speeds in Inspiron 570 software, only hardware changes allows it.

Just remind what is your Video card and PSU? If you have original PSU - not good, let us know, and you can change your Video card for better one...

6 intake and exhaust 120 mm FANS <> Phenom II x4 965 BE OC to 4.0GHz <> Cooler Master Hyper 612 <> MSI 660 2GB OC <> 180 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 64 MB Cache HDD for Games as extension of SSD, 500 GB WD Caviar Blue HDD as data and 160 GB WD as backup (through PCI SATA card) <> 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 <>Hitachi GH70N DVD <> Corsair GS 600 PSU <> Battlefield 3 60 FPS on ULTRA

All Replies
  • Dell K078D CPU Heatsink Cooling Fan Assembly, For The Inspiron 530, 530s, Vostro 200, 200s, 220, 220s, 400, 410, Studio 540, and 540s

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=pub&sku=k078d

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Theoretically speaking, if this one fits confirmed here, so Intel 775 socket coolers all will, just make sure there are screws in the package. This is the easy way, I went the difficult one, if needed will explain (but I have 125 watt Phenom 965 BE with CPU mark of 4496.7).

Just a little question to you, you sated that you maxed out your RAM to 16 GB (official only 8 GB), does BIOS see all 16 GB at 1333 speed? Please reply, need RAM upgrade here.

• Ah, that makes sense. Dell uses Intel heatsinks on many of their AMD chips just to save the trouble of stocking as many different parts. This'll be perfect- thanks!

BTW, since I installed the CPU and benchmarked so well yesterday, the computer just kept getting progressively slower. I finally had to restore to factory system config (no big deal; I have files backed up on a external drive)- I just hope I didn't do something like fry the CPU.

My computer does indeed show the 16 gigs of RAM. I think the 2 gig per slot limit is a marketing trick- this way their upgrade kits have twice as many cards to sell, and people are inclined to look at more expensive models if they plan on upgrading. Not to say it'll work for everyone, but I had some good luck at least.  

First i570 Overclocker

• install OCCT 4.0.0 (look at my posts, I posted a picture of OCCT window) - this is the most gentle CPU stress test (and I think it is free) of them all, but OCCT has excellent monitoring gadgets for fan speed and temperatures, better than the most except AIDA64 (shows all temps and RPMs in more natural way and highly customizable). Run OCCT, 1 hour is enough, generally AMD processors max temperature is about 62 C, if yours goes above really fast - you need cooling solution, some people, I saw, reported changing stock coolers for something else, even without upgrades like mine...

• Well, I'll be blunt. I downloaded OCCT and let it run for 60 seconds. I HAVE A MAJOR COOLING ISSUE!!!!!shift+1!!!!

After letting it run all three cores at 100% for 1 minute, the temp was at 80c across the board. right now I'm eyeing it and its between 30-38c as its fluctuation follows the tasks I perform. Also, my GPU is running at 40c- not sure if that's an issue?

I really want to make sure I get this under control ASAP- I'm moving to my laptop until I have it resolved. I'm debating the following cooling choices per the 775 compatibility assumption above. Please everyone chime in:

AVC socket 775  

Cooler Master Hyper

Cooler Master Hyper TX3   

Cooler Master Vortex

Intel Original socket 775 

Arctic Cooling Freezer  

Also will be using this thermal compound 

Now I'm not sure how hard fitting the plastic clip designs would be with the 570's board, but I am hoping not too extreme? For the record, my factory heatsink is attached with 4 screws, not the bracket they show for the 570 design on the official spec page. I just want something 1) $40 or hopefully far less and 2) easily installed by a newbie in a single afternoon/evening. 

This is my entire day tomorrow, so hopefully I get some feedback....

Thanks all!

First i570 Overclocker

• Ok, your situation is worse than mine. First, since as you noticed you need cooler with 4 screws only, anything with standard mounting clips or AMD clip is requiring a lot of headache to adapt to Dell MOBO, also I measured back and forth all the room inside, so only vertical 92 mm coolers can fit, TX3 is a very good choice - mine is the copy of this by Rocketfish from BestBuy, however no screws there and it was pain to install this. This one reported good results in our situation with 4 cores and it is easy to install - 4 screws attached, also exhaust fan to consider. Look at OCCT TMPIN1 and FANIN1 results - it is MOBO temperature and exhaust fan RPM. Exhaust fan on mine was weak and I changed it to this - saw mild improvement. for exhaust fan use only 3 pin + 4 pin Fan because you need to disable PWM control to run your fan at fixed RPM. You can not change any fan speeds in Inspiron 570 software, only hardware changes allows it.

Just remind what is your Video card and PSU? If you have original PSU - not good, let us know, and you can change your Video card for better one...

• Well I ordered the above mentioned heatsink and a much more powerful casefan. They should be here by Monday at the latest- I'll update and let everyone know if it works or not. Have my fingers crossed.....

First i570 Overclocker

• if needed will explain (but I have 125 watt Phenom 965 BE with CPU mark of 4496.7).

• Should be fairly straightforward process of removing the MB and attaching it using the back plate for the heatsink, right? Or am I in for a surprise?

First i570 Overclocker

• He, he.

this back plate is for motherboards without implanted nuts - so it has to be screwed from the other side of MOBO. Dell MOBO has implanted nuts, so you simply screw in the cooler (into MOBO) - as simple as this, just use arctic silver, it is reported to have about 5 C superior to the rest. Do not remove MOBO unless you cannot screw in inside the case. Anyway removing MOBO is easy, just time consuming, you have to remove everything from the case, PSU, video card. You can leave RAM inside, HDD no problem, just disconnect all cables and wires. If you noticed, there are springs on each bolt, so you have to apply considerable amount of pressure, this might require to remove MOBO, may be you will be lucky.

• Loviss, you have a question? Ask.

• Can't wait til monday when I can get this thing rolling!

Whole project has made me decide to do a "from scratch" build of the fastest system I can make on a shoestring budget for fun.

First i570 Overclocker

• OK, some practical test - I played Crysis 2 on high settings for about 1.5 hours. Just little summary of my system: Phenom II x4 965 BE (3.4 Ghz), 8 GB 1333 RAM (I don't know if I should increase to 16 GB, which program need this much?), NVIDIA MSI 550 TI Cyclone (Cyclone is for massive fan) factory overclocked, standard SATA HDD (hm change for SSD here maybe later), cooling with Rocketfish (copy of CoolerMaster TX3) cooler with 1 fan running between 1700 and 2300 RPM (1940 RPM max during Crysis), PWM controlled, exhaust fan with disabled PWM - running at constant 2500 or 2700 RPM. Results temperatures, I have all set in Celsius. Ambient in the room is about 20 C, all 4 cores - 54.75 C, Motherboard (North bridge) - 61 C, Video card 58 C, total memory RAM used 3320 MB. All temperatures checked with OCCT as monitoring gadget. Those results are about 10-15% below 1 hour OCCT heaviest test. The worse test of the all is Intelburn test, so far, at least for standard settings.

My plans for extra cooling. Place current Exhaust fan as pulling fan on CPU cooler and add  Dimension exhaust fan (I found at home) with about 4100 RPM max as PWM disabled exhaust fan. For intake, place 3 or 4 50 mm fans to the front panel (air intake is from the bottom of the front plastic panel). If this will drop T by 10 degrees I will be happy. I live in the area of 40 C during worst Summer, so I need to get ready.

• I just realized our second SATA drive cover hides what looks to be a great intake vent- wonder if I should just remove the door?

I have a USB powered cooling fan (see here) that I use to help with my PS3's airflow inside my entertainment stand. I may buy another and hook it up as a pull from the side case vents on the 570 tower. 

Of course, I may have no issues at all once I have a new heatsink, hooked up correctly. Tongue Tied

First i570 Overclocker

• You did not said about your PSU, is it still original, 300 watt? If so, you cannot put all hardware on it you wish, be careful not to overload it. Also, I hope you ordered external exhaust fan with 2 connectors, 4 (molex, to connect to PSU) and 3 (PWM connector)? I tried only 1 connector (3 pin) and PWM took over, I tried only 4 pin and MOBO was thinking that fan failed - MOBO went crazy...