Dell Dimension 8300 will not power up, flashing amber power button.

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Dimension 8300 will not power up, flashing amber power button.

This question has suggested answer(s)

I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Prior to my current problem, when I tried to power the unit up I got a solid amber power button light with no diagnostic lights at all. I replaced the power supply with a 350w Kentech micro-atx . I replaced the motherboard with a Dell W2562 Dimension 8300 socket 478, as the old CPU was not seating properly. I updated the CPU to 3.4 Ghz.

Now when I hit the power button, I get cpu fan working, power supply fan working, green light on MB. Power light is flashing amber and no diagnostic lights whatsoever. Any ideas?

All Replies
  • stevewitt

Have you tried reinstalling the *old* processor, to see if it makes a difference?

Have you checked that BIOS version A07 is installed, when Updated microcode for newer CPUs was added.

The W2562 motherboard does support either Northwood, or Prescott processors, with a BIOS upgrade.

Bev.

Edited, for content

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Bev,

Thanks for your response. Tried the old processor with the same results. How do I check the bios version or for that matter install AO7 if if is needed if the PC will not boot?

• Sorry, but I forgot to ask. You stated earlier that "A Socket 478, P4 3.4GHz processor will only work, if your 8300 motherboard was built after December 2003 and with a BIOS upgrade to version A07". Is there any way to tell when my mb was built by the SN??

Steve

• stevewitt

Bev,

Thanks for your response. Tried the old processor with the same results. How do I check the bios version or for that matter install AO7 if if is needed if the PC will not boot?

stevewitt

It's listed in the System Setup, see if you can enter it to check.

Turn on (or restart) your computer and when the blue DELL logo appears, press <F2> immediately.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Bev,

My PC will not boot to that point. When I hit the power button, I get nothing on my monitor. Only the power button flashing yellow.

Steve

• stevewitt

Sorry, but I forgot to ask. You stated earlier that "A Socket 478, P4 3.4GHz processor will only work, if your 8300 motherboard was built after December 2003 and with a BIOS upgrade to version A07". Is there any way to tell when my mb was built by the SN??

Steve

stevewitt

Steve.

Basically by checking the Dell invoice, but W2562 motherboard was the latest version made for the 8300, hence the reason for the edit.

As you have the 3.4GHz processor available, what is the sSpec number?

Personally, I would not have replace the motherboard and processor, especially when I've recently seen a Dell Dimension E520, with Core 2 Duo e6400, 4Gbs of DDR2 RAM, plus a new 250GB SATA hard drive, on eBay @ $150, that would knock the socks of any Dimension 8300. 

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Steve.

A blinking amber power button LED usually indicates a power supply problem, especially when none of the four diagnostic lights are not lite.

Did you connect both the 20-pin and the P2 4-pin power connectors to the motherboard?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Both connectors from the ps to the mb are in place. How do I find the sSpec number you mentioned? And yes the E520 would have been better and faster, but I need an "old" faster computer to run a specific type of program and hardware that I'm working with.

Steve

• Steve.

It's located on top of the processor

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-028738.htm

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Bev,

Thanks again for all of your help. The Sspec # is SL7E6.

Steve

• Steve,

The processor is compatible with the Dimension 8300.

All I can think of, that either the motherboard and/or the processor could be bad.

Where did you buy them from?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

As there are no diagnostic lights lite, you could try the following:

As the power supply is new, I'll asume it's a know working unit, first remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, it would appear that the motherboard and/or the processor are dead.

Note: The only method I know of checking a checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Also, while the case is open, check the motherboard for any capacitors with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Sorry this response is coming after so much time, but I have been out of town for a while. I did all of the above looking for the issue with no luck. There are no beeps, no diagnostic lights, no bulging capacitors etc. I got the PC from my cousins son and according to him the unit worked fine until he "borrowed" the video card for another computer. Once I got it I purchased a new video card, new memory, motherboard, CPU etc. After all that all I get is the flashing amber power light. Basically everything in the computer has been replaced with new parts. Is there anything else I could be missing? Is it possible the power switch is bad? Also since I installed the video card, I have of course not been able install any drivers etc as I've never been able to get it up and running. Any ideas would help. Thanks again, Steve

• After reading your exchange in the forum and learning that you installed a new video board, I remembered a case where I was requested to specify a good upgrade video board for and old HP Media Center computer that I had cleaned and upgraded memory.  I gave him the specs for a good new PCI-E board and he purchased one and installed it and could not get any video.  From his description I suspect he could not even power up.  When he went back to his original ATI X300SE video board all was well.  I suspect that a video board for PCI-E2 will not function in a PCI-E1 slot.  Therefore I would suggest removing the video board and try booting up.  You may have to downgrade to a PCI-E1 video board or even a PCI version.  This is my best suggestion since you have tried verything else.