I cann't install windows xp or windows server 2003 on 990

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

I cann't install windows xp or windows server 2003 on 990

This question is not answered

Hi all , 

When I tried to install winodws xp , error 0x0000007b will come , also this error coming when I tried to install windows server 2003. From BIOS configuration i change the Stat mode to ATA but still this error comes , Also I update the BOIS from A03 to A05 but still this error. 

now I installed windows vista and it's working fine. but this is not what I want , I want to install windows server 2003.

Please any one can help me !! 

Best Regards 

Swalf 

All Replies
  • STOP 0x0000007b means that XP/2003 cannot see the Hard Drive aka it does not support AHCI.

If there isnt an ATA Legacy mode for the SATA then you will not have F6 Drivers for installing XP or 2003.

"STOP 0x0000007B" error message when you restart your Windows ...

When you start your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer after you replace the motherboard on the computer, you may receive a Stop error message that is similar to the following:

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Back to Contents Page

Dell™ OptiPlex™ 990 Desktop Service Manual

System Setup

The OptiPlex 990 system offers you the following options:
    • Access System Setup by pressing <F2>
    • Bring up a one-time boot menu by pressing <F12>
    Press <F2> to enter System Setup and make changes to the user-definable settings.
    If you have trouble entering System Setup using this key, press <F2> when the keyboard LEDs first flash.
    SATA Operation Configures the operating mode of the integrated hard drive controller.
    • AHCI = SATA is configured for AHCI mode
    • ATA = SATA is configured for ATA mode   You Must use This Mode to setup XP/2003  Then install the Chipset Drivers.
    • RAID ON = SATA is configured to support RAID mode
    • Disabled = The SATA controller is hidden
    Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility << return to results

Release Date: 3/17/2011
    Version: 9.2.0.1019, A01
    Download Type: Driver
    File Format: Hard Drive
    File Size: 2 MB

http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/INTEL_CHIPSET-SOFTWARE-INSTA_A01_R291933.exe

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• I very pleased for your replay , I tried all the mentioned steps above but still the problem not solved.

if I will change to ATA the computer is displaying just first screen and not moving to boot from DVD or to show any other screen.

• Thanks you so much. I changed the System Setup Option from RAID ON mode to ATA mode and now successfully installed XP.

• The best way (not the easiest) to install XP is in AHCI mode WITH the drivers:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Use nLiteOS.com to integrate the drivers into your installation media (will create a new CD).