Forums

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 531 BIOS Update

This question is not answered

Unable to flash bios update.  Downloaded file I531_1013.exe.  When I click on the file, a new file WinFlash.sys is created in the same directory, but nothing else happens.  I have an Inspiron 531 running Windows 7 64 bit OS.  Am I missing something here?

Don

All Replies
  • Read all the Installation instructions for the bios update and do not use the Download Manager--very important. Also check what the bios update does. If the update doesn't affect your setup, skip it. You can brick your computer if you apply unnecessary updates. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. In this case, if you have not change to a new CPU (processor,) you don't need the bios update.

• I agree about the  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but in this case, I think my system is somewhat broke.  Windows 7 is reporting an issue with "Away Mode" system, and suggests changing a setting in the BIOS to fix. I have checked that setting, and it is not changeable in the BIOS that is currently on the machine, 1.0.3, not the 1.0.13 that I tried to flash. I did not use Download Manager.

• See this post HERE.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz –Kingston 240GB SSD – Seagate 320GB HDD – ASUS GeForce
    GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550w PSU - Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1- Dell E2211H 22"Flat Panel Monitor

• jsktx, thank you for your help.  You actually helped me with 2 problems, not only the Windows Action Center message, but also in Device Manager there was an unknown device.  When I installed the null driver, that eliminated the unknown device as well as resolved the Away Mode issue.

My original problem exists, though.  How do I flash the BIOS?  I ran the downloaded exe as Administrator, but that did not fix the problem. Does it need to run as a command line item, or am I missing something else in this?

• If your system is running ok now I wouldn't risk running the BIOS update.  A failed BIOS update can brick your computer.  Anyway if you still feel you need to the exe should run under Windows by just double-clicking on it without being the administrator.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz –Kingston 240GB SSD – Seagate 320GB HDD – ASUS GeForce
    GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550w PSU - Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1- Dell E2211H 22"Flat Panel Monitor