Cyberlink PowerDVD Blu-Ray not working

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Cyberlink PowerDVD Blu-Ray not working

This question has suggested answer(s)

About a month ago, my 8.3 Cyberlink DVD DX Dell-installed Blu-Ray player stopped working with blu-rays. When I play one, I get the message "PowerDVD DX is not able to play the protected content on your digital output device....Error Code = 0110 .

I am using a Dell Studio XPS 9000, via DVI-D to a Dell U2711 monitor. Cyberlink support has been unhelpful.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to fix this?

All Replies
  • Hi rbnn,

I take it the program was working before? You might try uninstalling the program, then reinstall it but don't apply any updates.

• Can you remind me how to reinstall it? I always forget how to reinstall things that come with my Dell.

Oh, and yes, it used to work. Some Blu-rays say, however, "this product must be updated to play this content", so I might have clicked on such a prompt from PowerDVD at some point, and perhaps that update broke it.

• That's a failure to initialize HDCP. Have you tried installing the latest PowerDVD update? For that matter, it may have been a PowerDVD update that broke your playback.

You might try updating your video hardware drivers. If that fails, download and install the trial version of AnyDVD HD and the problem should go away for 21 days, and permanently if you buy a lifetime support license.

• Thanks rdunnill, you are right, I think it was a PowerDVD update that broke playback. What happens is, when some disks are inserted into the drive and PowerDVD is started, a button displays that states that the disk will not play unless PowerDVD is updated. I tried clicking "update" and later on , PowerDVD broke down. PowerDVD was working for over a year, and just stopped for no apparent reason.

I cannot figure out at this point how to update or un-update PowerDVD.

A bit off topic, has anyone noticed how terrible PowerDVD software is in the first place? It's disappointing that Dell ships with it. Even when it works, its functionality is pathetic (for example, no step-frame feature).

• Blu-ray copy protection is updated constantly, and that is what keeps breaking these products. The only long-term solution is the use of Slysoft AnyDVD-HD.

• You may be interested in trying Corel WinDVD 2010 but you may not want to pay for it if you have the powerdvd software.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Well, I have bad news for everyone, I'm pretty much giving up on this. I've got better things to do with my time.

I have a hardware support contract from Dell, and tried to get them support it. They spent literally hours reinstalling drivers and the Cyberlink software, to no effect of course, then they said they would contact Cyberlink - then they said I should reinstall the entire operating system!  They don't really seem to understand the problem - they don't seem to understand how Blu-ray copy protection works, they just try  and reinstall everything, then act surprised when it doesn't work.

Then I was told the *software support* department at Dell might have better luck, but the software department refused to support it since I didn't have a software support contract.

I don't feel that comfortable with AnyDVD - I don't want to circumvent copy protection, that software seems ilke it pushes the envelope of legality.

I spent nearly 4K just on this machine, and seem not to have any practical recourse. I certainly won't ever spend another dime on a Dell computer and will advise others who ask me for advice not to either. (Well, their monitors seem like a good value,  just not their computes).

Does anyone know if I can get a refund on the cost of the player and the hardware support contract?

• Does it work when you have the AnyDVD installed?

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• If you don't want to use AnyDVD, you need to update your Blu-ray software to a newer version. One option is Arcsoft TotalMediaTheater, which is updated regularly and can be bought for $65 with an online coupon (search Google for Arcsoft coupons).

• My solution has been to Buy a new OEM DVD drive that comes with its own copy of cyberlink DVD.

Cost was about the same as buying the software alone.  Would NOT play Blueray until I installed the software

and then purchased a recent Blueray DVD (Karate Kid II).

When I put the disc in it made me change the Region to 1 aka USA and downloaded some kind of Certificate

from the web.    Then rebooting and disconnecting from the web the Blue Ray Disc plays fine.

The drive Software Bundle had some kind of FIrmware utility that did an update to the drive once I had chosen a region.

Came with Cyberlogic Power DVD version 9.

LG WH12LS30 12X SATA BLU-RAY BURNER BLACK W/SOFTWARE LIGHTSCRIBE BLUK

Technical Details

• 12x BD-R Read and Write Capability
    • LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling
    • Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD Family Read/Write Compatible
    • Cyberlink Software Included
    • SATA Interface

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• It's true a new drive bundled with OEM software can be had for the same price as retail software, but the OEM software is invariably an earlier version with limited support.

Arcsoft TotalMediaTheater can be had online for $65 with promo code.

The following is occasionally bundled with PowerDVD 9 (including both the units I bought):

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

• " the OEM software is invariably an earlier version with limited support"

Well That's not exactly true because I purchased the OEM bundle at a Retail Best Buy.

If it didn't work I could always take it back for a full refund.

All the Dell Cyberlogic DVD software I had was version 8 and the OEM bundle came with version 9.

Same Features and more including Blueray 3D whatever that is.

Having the same issues with Laptops I also purchased a USB Powered Samsung/LG Blueray Burner

and installed that on My Laptop and Viola blue ray works again there also.

No Way I'm paying $99 for software when I can get new hardware/software OEM bundle for the same price and

it fixes my issues.

• PowerDVD is now up to version 11 and thus version 9 is two versions behind.

• There are zero new features that I can tell are offered.  Its just like Roxio with their Toast 5,6,7,8,9,10,11 for mac with no new features.  They just do that to try and con people into upgrading.

• The new "feature" is continued updates for the copy protection, the lack of which is apparently the source of the OP's problems.

This is why Blu-ray software, OEM or otherwise, has a limited service life unless responsibility for the updates is shifted to AnyDVD.