cmos battery

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

cmos battery

This question is not answered

Hello  this is about my wifes dell dimension E521. I have been getting some strange error messages and I want to replace the battery. It uses a Cr-2032 battery. So I will have no problems replacing it. My question is after replacing the battery I then have to retype all the bios settings?. There must be at leasty 50 lines of info. Is there an easier way of doing this?

Thanks

squiddy

All Replies
  • Hi squiddy,

So as not to assume anything, can you explain the strange error messages?

• Hi, Don't know where you are getting the 50 lines of info from, according to your manual HERE, it is just a sinple case off popping out the old battery, and putting in the new one. But I agree with osprey, what is the error message.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• I wasn't going to point out the obvious. If the battery is indeed dead, the BIOS already has its defaults loaded.

• Originally it was NTLDR is missing. I opened the rescue disk and copied ntldr and ntdetect. After that it boots ok. Next day my wife tells me same error message. So this time I hit cont alt del and it boots up fine. I ran all the dell tests on the second partition.Did not find any errors She has a WD drive and I have the Wd software to check the disk. I ran the extensive test  8 hrs later all tests passed. Her machine has been losing time starting the last month, so I thought I would try the battery. It could be the HD and if it is I should know fairly quickly. Since all her files are backed up that will not be a problem. Again I thought I thought    I would start with the battery.

As far as just replacing the battery  you usually have a minute and no problem with lost setting but I have seen the setting lost no matter how fast you change the battery. To be on the safe side I always take a picture of ALL BIOS settings.

Thanks to all who replied

• When you replace the battery, it will load BIOS defaults, which will still boot the system, although it might not run optimally. There shouldn't be more than a few things to change from the defaults.