Dimension 5150 CPU Upgrade

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dimension 5150 CPU Upgrade

This question is not answered

Please can anyone help with this ?

I have had a Dell Dimension 5150 for a few years now and would like to upgrade the CPU if possible.
It currently has a Pentium D 3.0 ghz socket 775 LGA.

CPU-Z reports the following:

Intel Pentium D 930
Presler
Technology: 65nm
Core VID: 1.244 V
Bus Speed: 199.5 mhz
Rated FSB: 798 mhz
Mainboard model: 0HJ054
Chipset: i945P/PL/G/GZ

As I understand it, the motherboard will not take the modern Core 2 / Duo processors because of voltage irregularity.
I did read that it can take a Pentium 6xxx, though.

My question is, what would max out this machine: - a P4 670 3.8ghz or a Pentium D 960 at 3.6 ghz ?
Also, would i need to do anything more other than swap the processors ? For instance, new BIOS or altering any jumpers etc.

Thank you.

All Replies
  • Chez Paul,

Those two CPUs are not on the 5150 parts page? The best I see is the DK594 Cedar Mill 661, 3.60GHz, 800FSB, 2M, C1. I guess it is possible that the other two you listed might work, but they are not validated by Dell. All you should have to do is make sure the latest bios is loaded and then install the 661.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Drivers
    Order Status

• The maximum Pentium D that can be installed is a D945.  Intel lists a D960 but that will not work due to Dell's custom implementation of the chipset.  This is well documented on the old Dell users forum by users that have tried the D960.  I have and E510 which is identical to the 5150 and I upgraded mine from the original D805 to a D925 CPU and to be truthful, I didn't see any performance difference.  The 5150 labeled model was sold worldwide where the E510 labled model was only sold in the US. 

If you have a 0HJ054 motherboard you can upgrade and it should boot properly.  On older part number motherboards (there were at leat 3 different part number motherboards used during the production cycle of this model) you can upgrade but, according to users that have upgraded, you will always get an "incompatible CPU" error message when you boot up and will always have to press F1 to continue with the boot.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• So a D 945 would give me an increase from 3.0 ghz to 3.4 ghz, and you say that there is a minimal performance increase.
    I've seen a "Pentium 4 P4 670 3.8GMHz LGA775 2M/800MHz" advertised for about $55 / £33 - would the increase to 3.8 ghz be worthwhile ? And of course, the question is whether the motherboard and chipset would accept it.
    I appreciate that Dell cannot acknowledge the above, on account of it not being on the official products list for Dimension 5150, but off the record, could it be slotted in ?

• I haven't seen any posts on this forum of anyone using that CPU.  Keep in mind whatever you install, you will still be limited by the hardware (chipset) limitations.  What Intel lists for this 945G Express chipset is not always what PC Vendors, such as Dell, implement on their custom motherboards.

Bottom line you can't make an "old technology" PC run like the new technology models.  Even many newer model CPU's have a lower CPU speed.  e.g. I have a PC with a Q6600 quad processor with a retail Intel motherboard.  It's CPU speed is only 2.4Ghz BUT the bus speed is 1066Mhz.  It runs circles around my Dimension E510's 2.6Ghz CPU and the Dell custom BIOS and chipset implementation.     

By the way most of us on here, including myself, are users helping users.  We are not Dell employees.  Only a very few moderators are Dell employees.

I am not a Dell Employee

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

• I managed to find a video regarding 5150 upgrade and noted these accompanying comments:

*******************************************************************************************************
    "im running a pentium d dual core 3.00 should i put in the 3.8 or should i keep it the same"

"The answer is no! your 3.0GHz. dual core is already faster than the 3.8GHz., the 3.8GHz is to speed up an older single core PC. I only used the 5150 PC in the beginning to edit 720p videos for youtube"
    *******************************************************************************************************

So it seems there would certainly be no value in going back to single core, even if the processor was accepted.

When I bought the system a few years ago, it was so impressive and up to date that I thought I would be able to upgrade it easily and keep up with developments.
    In conclusion, this is clearly not the case and although with a shader model 5.0 graphics card installed it can run the latest games, the processor will struggle to keep up even with 'medium' display settings soon.
    At that point, swapping for a D 945 wouldn't be worthwhile, either. Time to go shopping, then.

Thank you for your help, everyone.

• First the 5150/E510 is not a "gaming" PC and was never designed for that.  In the period Dell was selling this model, the XPS line of PC's were sold as the Dell "gaming PC's".  They had good specs for that era but as "state of the art" seems to change daily, they were "old technology" fairly fast.   Finally, upgrading "old technology" PC's and whatever you do to upgrade it's still an "old technology" PC.  Even the BTX case style that was used by several PC vendors as the "latest and greatest" at the time has been discontinued. 

I am not a Dell Employee

• i realize this is an old question, and i hope no one replied to it already, but no it wouldnt be worth it since the Pentium 4 is a single core processor and the Pentium D is a dual core processor, so essentialy your getting 6.8GHz from the Pentium D

• This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell