Dell Vostro 460 2nd hard drive brackets

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Vostro 460 2nd hard drive brackets

This question is answered

I got a brand new Dell Vostro 460. I want to put a 2nd hard drive in it. The chassis did not come with the mounting brackets for a 2nd hard drive. The service manual shows a picture with the brackets for the drive in the chassis..

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos460/en/sm/GUID-9C7340EC-70E2-4DE9-9F7B-3870F5BACC57.html 

Mine did not come with any.  I have called Dell support, and so far, they have been unable to come up with part numbers for the brackets.

There are part numbers on the brackets, but they are not Dell part numbers

Left bracket P/N 1B23H0S00

Right bracket P/N 1B23H1100

Both also say MID 42940, and have a date stamped on them as well.

Anybody know how to get these brackets? Anybody have a set in their chassis that they would be willing to part with?

Thanks Jim

Verified Answer
  • Dude, stop tortouring your self and just get the E510 hard drive cage.  They are $1 plus shipping on ebay, and I'm sure Dell will sell you 1 for a bit more $.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=U6436

Part #s: U6436 H7283 G8354

It worked great for me.  Now, only if I can get some help with my 3110cn printer.  I need a service manual...

Dell Vostro 460FT, upgrades: 8GB DDR3 (12GB total), 1GB Geforce 430 (Dual DVI, 3 monitor setup using onboard), Intel SSD 120GB Primary.  Excellent system for productivity system.

All Replies
  •  ltpolaris

Have you tried calling Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-372-3355, to buy the rails.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I have not tried that yet.. I will give that a whirl..

The case has part numbers on them.. on a sticker....

One sticker  121-6C46-A00   DP/N 0GM8J4 covered another sticker 116-5D9A-A00  DP/N 0NRKV9

Made in China...

•  ltpolaris

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Another member had the same issue and Dell said to him, that to obtain the rails, he would need to buy both the SATA hard drive and the rails from Dell.

He was not a happy camper! 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Spare parts group had nothing for me.. They appear to have no part numbers or methods for ordering the brackets currently...

• nextechtech

Thank you for the heads up on the workaround with using the Dimension e510 plastic hard drive trays, to install the additional hard drive in the Vostro 460.   Yes

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• No problem Bev, I'm glad I was able to help.

My post got deleted because I guess I was a bit harsh on Dell.  I thought it was free speech, but I guess not.

Well, here's the modified post.

Try the plastic HD cage from the Dimension E510 series, or similar (light blue plastic case).  I had to do this and it works perfectly.

I hope this helps others.

• nextechtech

I believe the post was deleted, because there was an 'inappropriate' word in it, not because you criticized Dell.  Wink

I think the comments you made about Dell, were justified.  Yes

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I have been working with Dell on resolving this issue for a while now. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel. After telling me that I would have to purchase a secondary hard drive from Dell to get the brackets, I was able to escalate, and it now appears that the brackets have a part number, and are on their way to me.

The part number coming is A0382264, and is supposed to be a pair of brackets..

I will post when I receive them and let you all know if its what we are looking for

Jim 

• Jim.

Thank you for the info,.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Not even close.. These are 5.25 to 3.5 inch adapter brackets..

Back to the drawing board

• Dude, stop tortouring your self and just get the E510 hard drive cage.  They are $1 plus shipping on ebay, and I'm sure Dell will sell you 1 for a bit more $.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=U6436

Part #s: U6436 H7283 G8354

It worked great for me.  Now, only if I can get some help with my 3110cn printer.  I need a service manual...

Dell Vostro 460FT, upgrades: 8GB DDR3 (12GB total), 1GB Geforce 430 (Dual DVI, 3 monitor setup using onboard), Intel SSD 120GB Primary.  Excellent system for productivity system.

• Thank you for your suggestion. The brackets from the E510 fit like a glove.

Dell supplied them for free. I am continuing to work with them to solve this problem permanently.

Jim

• Thank you for your suggestion. The brackets from the E510 fit like a glove.

Dell supplied them for free. I am continuing to work with them to solve this problem permanently.

Jim

• Jim -- I have a new Vostro 460 and ran into the same problem when I tried to add a second drive tonight.

I had an on-line chat with support and the guy did not help at all. I couldn't even get a part number for the brackets and he was unable to read this forum thread when I pointed him to it.

Do you possibly have a contact at Dell I can try reaching?

What's the permanent solution you are working on? Dell should just include a spare bracket as shown in the manual.  It would cost them all of a nickel.  Instead the omission of this simple part creates irritation for customers and unnecessary costly support calls for Dell!

Thanks,

Jeff
    Rochester, NY

~ ~ ~

update 5/3/11

I called Dell Parts today and they tried to sell me the 3.5" - 5.25" bay adaptor. Not what I need. I explained again and then was told that drive brackets are considered "spare parts" that don't show up in their catalog.  The only way to get them is to buy a new hard drive from Dell with the brackets!

I was forwarded to a support technician who specializes in Vostro support. He says this particular model (Vostro 460) doesn't come with the spare brackets and he also could not find availability of the part without the purchase of a hard drive from Dell.

This is crazy!  What they are in effect saying is that upgrading this computer is proprietary to Dell.  Welcome to IBM in the year 1965.

• I'm not sure if this will help right now nor am I sure if the part I got is even the right part but here is what I found... I too had the exact same problem as you all.  I contacted the spare parts 800 number listed above that"" mentioned and after much time, they found the part and ordered it for me.  There was no tax and no shipping and the part was only $1.99 (part number PF169).  I suppose if the part is the wrong one then I am out 2 bucks and at square one but who knows, it may work!  Good luck.