Reinstalling Windows XP on Optiplex GX620 hangs after checking hardware - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Reinstalling Windows XP on Optiplex GX620 hangs after checking hardware

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Reinstalling Windows XP on Optiplex GX620 hangs after checking hardware

This question has suggested answer(s)

I think I have searched everywhere and tried almost all of the suggestions I have found and still no success.

We have an older GX620 that was initially purchased with Windows XP installed and then repurposed to run Linux Fedora Core 10. We want to reinstall Windows on the computer. When the system boots from the Windows XP installation CD, it gets to the message about checking the hardware configuration. The message goes away, the screen goes black, the CD spins down and nothing else happens. I have left it this way for a long time (waiting overnight this time to be sure), with no difference. I am able to boot in to Linux and read from the CD without any problem. I reset the BIOS to factory defaults without success.It came with a DVI card and I removed that just to be sure. I have placed the USB mouse and keyboard in every USB slot. Currently they are in the slot beside the network port (I read a comment somewhere that they needed to be there).

Any thoughts on an approach are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edward.

All Replies
  • Make sure the Hard drive is set for compatable mode.

XP cannot use AHCI drivers at boot.

There is a Legacy or compatable mode for SATA operation.

Entering System Setup

1. Turn on (or restart) your computer. 

2. When the blue DELL™ logo appears, press <F2> immediately. 

If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows® desktop.

SATA Operation

Configures the operation mode of the integrated hard-drive controller.

Normal — The hard-drive controller is configured for native mode. This mode provides the highest drive performance and most flexibility.

Combination — The hard-drive controller is configured for combination mode. This mode enables compatibility with some older operating systems that do not support SATA drives.

The factory default setting is Normal.

NOTE: Changing this setting affects the order in which drives are listed. However, system setup does not reflect these changes until after a reboot.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
    Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

• Thank you for the reply.

I have tried both SATA settings. Normal and Combination produce the same result. Just to be sure, I verified the current settings and tried both again. No difference.

The computer was in the same state this morning, so apparently letting it run for a while did not help.

Edward.

• I cant seem to find at the moment a post by another user who had linux on a drive and tried to go back to windows and had to  reformat the drive to get rid  of the linus boot loader

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Make sure its set for Combination.

However the drive could be bad.

Either way you need to partition and format the drive.

Definitely sounds like hardware issues either way.

If you have a floppy drive you can boot from Boot from WIN9X floppy and FDISK then format the drive as FAT32.

Then Quick Erase the drive with NTFS when you install XP.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
    Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

• Thanks again for the followup.

I have given up. The machine will remain a Linux box. I found a different computer to use that already had Windows installed that we decided to use. It was more cost effective that beating my head to get this reconfiguration to work.

Thanks,

Edward.