Will returning comp to factory settings get rid of a virus?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Will returning comp to factory settings get rid of a virus?

This question is not answered

Hi.  I had a problem with my computer. It began adding hundreds upon hundreds of hidden files to the point where my C Drive was so full I was getting alerts that my computer would crash. So I turned it off.  Would setting it to factory settings take care of whatever virus or Trojan or whatever that was? I don't mind wiping my computer clean because I have all my files on an alternate drive.

Also, if someone knows the steps to take to return computer to factory settings, that'd be appreciated too.

Thanks anyone who helps!

- Jennifer

All Replies
  • Do you have an anti-virus package installed? Once, I helped someone fix a laptop with a similar problem by installing Symantec Antivirus, which banished the infestation without the need for a Windows reinstall.

• I actually had 3 anti-virus programs going and none of them detected a thing. Do you know if setting the comp to factory settings requires re-installing Windows? I don't have discs for that if so.

• JenniferOcious

Hi.  I had a problem with my computer. It began adding hundreds upon hundreds of hidden files to the point where my C Drive was so full I was getting alerts that my computer would crash. So I turned it off.  Would setting it to factory settings take care of whatever virus or Trojan or whatever that was? I don't mind wiping my computer clean because I have all my files on an alternate drive.

Also, if someone knows the steps to take to return computer to factory settings, that'd be appreciated too.

Thanks anyone who helps!

- Jennifer

JenniferOcious

It helps to include the computer model and the version of windows installed.

HOW to restore your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi. Thanks, I'll provide the info:

It's a Dell Inspiron 530S and it's running Windows Vista

I tried the instructions you linked me to and when I got to the actual process of restoring it stopped the process and gave me a small box with the word Error, and OK button and an X option.  I tried 3 more times but ran into that nondescript alert each time.  Then I tried to press F8 before the Dell logo and I got a black screen with white text saying:  A disk read error occurred  Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.  So I tried that and came upon that message again. So I turned off the comp and tried the original process of pressing F8 after the Dell logo and it won't bring me to any screen but the black screen with white text saying:  A disk read error occurred  Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Oh if you or anyone else can help me, I'd be so happy. I hope I can get my computer back!  Thanks for any help!

- Jennifer

•  JenniferOcious

Try running Dell diagnostic's extended test on the hard drive.

The instructions for using Dell's Diagnostics Utility, are HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks. I did to the test and got these results:

error code  0F00:1344

msg: block 484784797 uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

error code 0F00:065D

msg: IDE device failed: The self-test failed the read portion of the test

which I was then informed I should contact support for help.  I'm trying my best to work around having to pay for help as long as it is something that is solvable by the kind people helping out on these forums. It seems as if I may have to pay after all.  But if you or anyone else knows how else I can get this computer back to factory settings and around that error message, that'd be much appreciated.

•  JenniferOcious

Both those error message indicate a failing, or failed SATA hard drive, you need to replace the hard drive, reinstall Vista, followed by loading all the drivers and applications.

If you have a Dell warranty, contact Dell's Technical Support and give the Techie the error messages, no warranty, you need to buy an internal SATA, 7200rpm, 3.5" hard drive, check out the Seagate, or Western Digital brands.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• JenniferOcious

Thanks. I did to the test and got these results:

error code  0F00:1344

msg: block 484784797 uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

error code 0F00:065D

msg: IDE device failed: The self-test failed the read portion of the test

which I was then informed I should contact support for help.  I'm trying my best to work around having to pay for help as long as it is something that is solvable by the kind people helping out on these forums. It seems as if I may have to pay after all.  But if you or anyone else knows how else I can get this computer back to factory settings and around that error message, that'd be much appreciated.

It's cheaper to buy a new hard drive than it is to contact support. And, I think Western Digital has free cloning software available for use with their products. (I use Acronis TrueImage myself.)

Newegg has a 500gb Western Digital on special for $40 shipped.