X86-based PC ?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

X86-based PC ?

This question is not answered

Can someone please tell me how to find out if my PC is 64 bit compatible?  In "system type" (in system information) all it says is X86-based PC.  The research I've done on the web indicates I should be able to tell if it's 32 or 64 bit by finding the "system type".

Thank you.

All Replies
  • Post your Dell model number and we can most of the time tell you. Most systems built within the last 3 yrs are 64 bit capable.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• It is a Inspiron DCSLF.  Purchased in '08.

I wanted to upgrade to Win 7 and when I put the 64 bit disc in, it said something about not being compatible.

Thank you.

• Have you tried running the Microsoft  Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor? -> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en      That should give you some insight.

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• Thanks, but this didn't seem to help, it dealt more with upgrades and such.

I went ahead and proceeded with the 32 bit installation disc since I'd been waiting to do this for a while and this weekend I finally had time.  But I'd still like to know if I'm missing out on 64 bit if my PC can handle it.

I would still like an answer to my original question though if anyone can help me find it.

David

•   ddrumin

The DCSLF/530s does support 64-bit operating systems, for this model Dell supports Vista 64-bit, but has no drivers, or support available for Windows 7.

See HERE and more info, HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell