Lost Service Tag Number

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Lost Service Tag Number

This question is not answered

Hello, I recently has to reinstall my OS (Windows XP Media Center) on my Dell Dimension E5150) due to ancorruption in some of my files by an unknown malicious software.  Whatever it was it blocked me from performing system recovery, backup or diagnostics.  It would also block access to Dell or Microsoft updates and diagnostics.  So I had to wipe my harddrive an reinstall my OS.  I backed up most of my important documents but did not back up any potentially corrupted system files, drivers, etc. as I knew I could recover all of these.  However, I did not save my service tag identifier (I do know my service tag, however).

My question is: How do I reinstall my service tag identifier and my Dell assist programs?  I've tried to access the downloads for the programs that were originally installed on my desktop that I did not save due to the aforementioned problems, but I cannot access the page because my Service Tag is no longer installed on my computer. 

Thank you,

T. A. Pardue

All Replies
  • The service tag number is on a label attached to your PC case.  I have an E510 which is identical to the 5150 and the service tag for mine is on the top, near the front, of the case.

Not all programs supplied with a new PC can be downloaded.  If you do not have Dell supplied install disc(s) for these they are lost. 

HERE is the Dell Dimension 5150/E510 downloads, you don't need the service tag number to access the downloads.  You can look over the downloads and see if there is anything there that you are missing.

Did you try reinstalling from the Dell Recovery Partition on the hard drive?  That is accessed by CTRL/F11 at initial boot up and that will restore the PC to the original factory condition, including all delivered programs.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• You misunderstand me.  I did say in my post above that I do have (Know) my Service Tag, and I was able to download the drivers I needed to update after the reinstall.  And my Service Tag is in my BIOS.  What I do need, however, is the Dell service link that you would find in your All Programs list on your start menu in XP, along with the link that their system uses to identify your Service Tag number. It does not, obviously (to me, anyway), look in your BIOS to find your Service Tag, it looks for it where I mentioned.  And as I explained before, my entire system was corrupted,  I had to do a FULL wipe and reinstall.  Otherwise, yes, I would have the necessary programs already (or at least the Service Tag link I just mentioned). 

• The Dell Service Tag number is ONLY needed to obtain service from Dell on the machine, it's not needed for reinstalling or getting drivers from the Dell downloads.   You can access the Dell Drivers downloads by your PC Model number.

When you reinstall using the Dell supplied Operating System and Drivers and Utilites discs any optional programs are not included in these discs.  If you had optional programs such as Microsoft Works, Microsoft Office, etc, they would have been included on separate discs - they are not downloadable and if you didn't get the discs or misplaced them they are not replaceable - you would have to buy new copies. Any optional software discs that are missing or missing the Product Key are only replaceable (free) in the first 30 days of ownership, after that Dell will no replace them.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Dell - Express Service Code

Dell has an optional online utility that can quickly scan and identify your system.

1. Click to launch the System Profiler.

2. Follow the prompts in order to find your Service Tag and Express Service Code.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.