Dell 531 crashes with continuous beep

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell 531 crashes with continuous beep

This question is not answered

Hi

Just recently my Dell 531 inspiron keeps crashing/freezes and becomes completely unresponsive.  The only way to solve the issue is to turn off my computer at the on/off switch and turn it back on again.  Also, when this happens I have a continuous beep. 

I have tried dell diagnostics and it reports I have no hard ware issues.

Plus I have tried the program speedfan to see if my machine is getting too hot but it doesn;t go above 36 degrees C.

Thanks

All Replies
  • What's the beep pattern.  One single beep, two beeps, more?  The beep code diagnostic is HERE.  Did you make any recent hardware upgrades?

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz –Kingston 240GB SSD – Seagate 320GB HDD – ASUS GeForce
    GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550w PSU - Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1- Dell E2211H 22"Flat Panel Monitor

• Its just one continuous beep!!!  but doesn't stop!!! 

I did put more ram and a new graphics card about 6 months ago, but the problems only started recently,

Thanks for your help. 

• One continuous beep is a checksum error.  A possibility is the battery needs to be replaced.  Instructions for replacing the battery is HERE.  Worse case scenario is the motherboard needs to be replaced.  Is your system still under warranty?

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz –Kingston 240GB SSD – Seagate 320GB HDD – ASUS GeForce
    GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550w PSU - Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1- Dell E2211H 22"Flat Panel Monitor

•  

Just to be clear, the freezing/crashing is when I am using my computer in windows, it could happen when using internet explorer, or just even on the desktop.  And my computer always boots up after a restart. 

Unfortunately my system is out of warranty. 

• I just got off the phone with Dell but this computer would beep twice pause and then beep twice again with no video.  They are replacing the Motherboard.