Error when trying to flash bios on dimension 9200 destop

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Error when trying to flash bios on dimension 9200 destop

This question is not answered

Hi

I have been having big problems with my display when starting my dimension 9200 desktop and after replacing the graphics card (still same problem) AND today the motherboard (still the same problem) I'm running out of ideas and hope someone might be able to help.

I might need to log the display problem in more detail on another thread, but today I have been attempting to upgrade the BIOS to see if that helps.

After downloading the executable from the DELL website, when running it I get an error dialog saying

"Dell System DXP061 BIOS Flash 2.5.3"

"Windows Configuration Error"

"An error was encountered trying to configure Windows to allow flashing, please reboot and try again"

Can anyone explain why this might be happening and how I can get the BIOS flashed ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this

Dave

All Replies
  • Try running the update as Administrator and see if that helps.  Right Click on the Update file and then Left click on Run as Administrator.

If you are having Video problems, usually that is not a BIOS problem. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks Fireberd, but I have to start Windows in safemode and so if I try and run as Administrator it just says "the service cannot be started in safemode"

I'm running out of options with the original problem....

Coloured pixels corrupting the BIOS startup screen to the point that if I let windows start normally it just is unreadable.  Starting in safemode is OK.  As I said - I've changed the graphics card, motherboard, tried different monitor and all with the same results.

I ran the system configuration tests and the only big failure happened on DISPLAY memory tests.

It gave
    Error Code 5300 0119
    Msg: detected a failure while writing and reading video memory
    Video mode Dh(320x200x16) Address A0060h,
    expected to read 0h but read 40404040h instead

All the google searches I did pointed to the graphics card being screwed, but I seem to have ruled that and the motherboard out of the equation.  I assumed it couldn't be a display driver issue as the corruption happens as soon as the BIOS screen starts.  Surely it's not the cable ?

thanks for any advice you can offer

• Oh, you were trying to install the BIOS update from the Safe Mode.  I don't think you can do that from safe mode and probably the reason. 

As you have changed the video card and the motherboard and monitor, it could still be a bad video card.  Do you have a "known good" video card you can use?

When you first start, the video card is defaulted to it's basic internal VGA mode.  The driver does not come in play until Windows is loaded (normallyy).  When you boot to safe mode a basic VGA driver is installed by Windows..  That could lead you to believe the BIOS was at fault, but since you have replaced the motherboard and have the same problem it's most likely not a BIOS problem.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• I found this post that helped me to correct this issue:  Link

Basically, Regedit > Export/Backup and Delete the DellBIOS key from HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\DellBIOS  > Reboot > try again and it will work.   

JJ.

• Worked perfectly on a Dell Optiplex 755 running WIndows 7 32-bit. Thanks for the TIP.

• bonjour 

je veut mettre a jour mon bios du dimmsension 9200 je télécharge le pilote je le lance en mode administrateur je suis les étapes et un moment il me demande un mode passe que j'ai pas comment faire ?

• So I have the same exact problem on my Studio XPS 1645;  Windows boots ok, but I can't see anything because there is garbage on the screen... when I step into the setup (bios), I have random pixel and garbage there too (but the setup util is useable), and the low level diagnostics have garbage pixels in them too.  I can run Windows in SAFE mode, even up to 1024x780, but any attempt to use the higher video functions is a cul-de-sac.  I thought 'bad video card', except that it passes all the diagnostic tests from ATI.  I was thinking perhaps it's a corrupt bios image because both Windows safe mode and the setup utility use the bios simplest API to write pages directly to the video card (instead of going through the manufacturers driver layer).  So.... how do I run Dell's bios flash exe in safe mode?  I followed the link suggested above, but the instructions on the chinese site are questionably translated at best.  I can't imagine Dell didn't imagine this scenario wouldn't ever happen :-(

--M

• Tamooj

Instead of posting this in a Dimension 9200 discussion and because this forum is for Desktop systems, the best forum to post in would be laptop forum, HERE.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell