Easy questions about Studio XPS 8000/9000 - Video cards, PSU

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Easy questions about Studio XPS 8000/9000 - Video cards, PSU

This question is answered

I'm planning on replacing my Dimension 9150 in the near future, and I'd like to get a system with an i7-920 processor.  I'm looking favorably at the Studio XPS 8000/9000 systems, but I have one major concern... I'm planning on installing a medium/high end video card, and I'm concerned that the stock PSU will not provide sufficient wattage.

My questions are:

1)  Should I be concerned that either the XPS 8000 or 9000 are too small to handle modern video cards?  Do the two XPS models have the same card-size limitations?

2)  Dell was once in the habit of using non-standard PSUs that were extraordinarily difficult to upgrade.  Does Dell still use these non-standard PSUs?

I've read through these forums, and I realize that it's possible that the stock PSU will be sufficient for anything I throw at it.  However, if that turns out not to be the case, I want to know that I can easily remedy the problem with a PSU upgrade.

Many thanks for any answers.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Neil,

Neal Miller

1)  Should I be concerned that either the XPS 8000 or 9000 are too small to handle modern video cards?  Do the two XPS models have the same card-size limitations?

Those XPS models will accept an full size graphics card. The only time that will differ, will be in the (S) slim line models which will only take the half cards ( low profile).

Neal Miller

2)  Dell was once in the habit of using non-standard PSUs that were extraordinarily difficult to upgrade.  Does Dell still use these non-standard PSUs?

Any standard ATX type PSU will fit into those cases, again the only time tahat differs, is in the (s) slim line cases where the PSU is made for those cases, so stay away from the slim line models. An 300w or 350w PSU will get an good card in,but, if you intend to put the 5870 in, then you should be looking at upgrading your PSU.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• Neal Miller

Adding to RobinBredin's excellent and informative post.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power and EPS/ATX12V 8-pin connectors, with or without the on/off switch, can be installed.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with five SATA power connectors, is needed.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

All Replies
  • Hi Neil,

Neal Miller

Those XPS models will accept an full size graphics card. The only time that will differ, will be in the (S) slim line models which will only take the half cards ( low profile).

Neal Miller

Any standard ATX type PSU will fit into those cases, again the only time tahat differs, is in the (s) slim line cases where the PSU is made for those cases, so stay away from the slim line models. An 300w or 350w PSU will get an good card in,but, if you intend to put the 5870 in, then you should be looking at upgrading your PSU.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• Neal Miller

Adding to RobinBredin's excellent and informative post.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power and EPS/ATX12V 8-pin connectors, with or without the on/off switch, can be installed.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with five SATA power connectors, is needed.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Excellent news, many thanks to you both.  I'm glad Dell wised up in this regard.  I hope someday they take the next logical step, and offer customers the option of buying a system with a higher-wattage PSU directly off their site. 

Thanks again.

• Neal Miller

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I have the studio 9000. It has crashed so many times due to too much power drian that now it will not start and I fear I have lots years of data, yes I tried to back up but it crashed during that too. So far Dell tech's have been to my home four times. Replace Bluray drive, just died. Replace MOBO, computer worked for about 5 hours, replaced power supply, no luck, hard drive too corrupt, replacing MOBO and Power supply next but as the hard drives are corrupt think this is a waste of time. Dell is now sending a complete new computer. My advise, do not buy one or if you do back up back up back up! Dell swears 475 watts is enough power but obviously it is not in my computer, HD4870, 2X640gb hd, 1 optical, that is it. Cannot even install Win 7 upgrade. I now have a nearly $3000 doorstop.

I am really depressed at the though that I have lost my data or may have to fork out $500 for data recovery. This is the second time this has happened with Dell. The firght and fight anfight for and service. I was on the phone yesterday just under 2 hours before they issued the new computer and did a tour of the world. Phillapeans, India, Indonesia, the US and or Canada, 7 different transfers to get someone that would help me. I see they not longer supply the ATI 4870, maybe because they realises that it draws so much power over the nVidia GTS 240 with DDR3 memory instead of DDR5.

I am looking to buy a power supply myself because Dell absolutely refuses to up the one in the computer. Can anybody help me get one that will work in the Studio 9000.

• I sympathize with the problems you are having but your system is nothing compared to the one I have up and running with Windows 7 64 Ultimate see my systems specs and power is not an issue.

435T i7 975 3.3 GHz Extreme, 12 Gb RAM, 1.5 Tb SATA x 2 internal,Patriot Warp 256 Gb SSD quick release and 1.5 Tb eSATA drive  Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Blu-ray/HD-DVD/RW combo by LG and Blu-ray/RW, 1000/NIC and  Belkin N+  wireless, X-Fi Extreme Soundblaster, Hauppauge 2250 DTV Tuner card with Media Center remote, Bose Surround Sound 5.1 speakers, LifeCam VX 3000 VidCam, Logitech Wireless Desktop Kb and Performance MX Mouse, Bamboo Pen Tablet,  XFX ATi 5870 XXX Edition driving a Vizio 37" HDTV using  Optical Toslink from the X-Fi Extreme Sound Card, also have Pioneer SE-DIR 800C Wireless Dolby DTS Headphones

Black Alienware M17X Q9100 2.26 GHz Extreme, 320Gb HDD0 and 160Gb SSD1,Blu-Ray w/ DVD/RW, 8Gb RAM, WUXGA  Screen, ATI 4870 Crossfire-x,  Alienware TactX Mouse Windows 7 64 Professional.

• When I've upgraded power supplies in the past, I've had good luck with http://www.pcpower.com/index.html. Very highly reviewed. Nice line of efficient, quiet supplies in all power ranges.

• Not going to get into bragging rights, I have a ton of pheriferals running as well, alot of what you have is self powered and I doubt you ever have every thing running at the same time.

Good luck, the PSU will start failing. The first sign is unusualy shut downs mid stream with automatic restarts. That will go on for quite awhile, the you will start get BSOd allowing you to restart

Soon enough of these will happen that at some point your hard drive driectory will become totally corrup and you will not be able to reboot, period

• The 9000 will easily handle the nVidia GTX260, or the earlier generation top-of-the-line 9800GTX+ (which is what I'm currently running.)  The stock Dell PSU in the 9000 is rated at 475W, enough for either of those two cards.  What the 8000/9000 cannot do (without a higher wattage PSU) is run the nVidia GTX280 or the current top-of-the-line card the GTX295.  What the 8000/9000 will never be able to do, unfortunately, is to run multiple graphics cards.  The MOBO and physical size limitations do not permit it.  For that you need an Alienware system.  That said, I'm perfectly happy with my 9000.  I play MMOs and I can run Aion and Guild Wars at max graphics settings and get a stable, reliable 60 FPS.  If you have reasonable expectations about what the 8000/9000 is and is not capable of, and are happy with those specs, you'll do fine.  The people complaining about underpowered PSUs and stability issues are pushing them too hard.  The 8000/9000 are not positioned as uber-gaming rigs (those would be the Alienware series), but as high end multimedia systems.  They hold their own as gaming rigs if you don't require the latest and greatest, (and most expensive) systems on the market today.

• The PSU in the 9000 should be large enough to power what ever Dell puts into the machine. It is not! The ATI HD 5870 card recommends 500 watts for that card alone. I am not talking about adding extra boards or overclocking, although there should be a buffer for the fact that you can add extra crads, extra memory and extra drive, both hard and optical all by Dell design. The PSU be large enough to run all DELL installed componetnts and supply the industry standar supply to the DELL installed USB ports. The DELL PSU is not even rated high enough to drive the ATI card let along the hard drives, blu ray, 12Gb of RAM, sound system and the MOBO. I think if you ordered the 9000 with all the bells an whistles it would barely last a week before the PSU would burn out.

WHO what to be forced into Alienware, they are incredibly ugly and I would buy A Falcon long before that move,

The point is the 9000 PSU should power everything they sell to go in the box, no overclocking, and it won't

If there is Dell person reading this list the wattage demand of everything that would go into a 9000 if you select the best or maximum of what the 9000 offers and publish it or give it to your engineers.

• I have a 9100 system with i7 930/AT 5970/9GB/Bluray/wLAN/integrarted eth/integrated sound card..

As you said I was shocked how the the stock 525w will handle this system.. I ran some tests just to make sure that my system is not under performing and i got 3d mark vintage results within the average scores i was around -5% of what my system should get if i build it my self with 800watt PSU.

The only explantaion that i can think of for this situation is the Monitor.. Just notice that Dell ships the XPS with standard Monitors that max at 1920x1080.. this resolution will not break a sweat for the ATI 5970/5870 and the card will not come close to the maximul full load so it will keep the wattage under 500..

IMO if you tried to run Eyeffenty steup with the stock PSU you will see some issues.