XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

This question has suggested answer(s)

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

All Replies
  • well, you are comparing apples to oranges.  You cancelled an XPS 8000 i5 and purchased the equivalent of a XPS 9000 i7 from HP. My comment was that an HP equivalent to an XPS 8000 is more expensive.  I sincerely hope you are happy with your HP, I have heard a lot of negative comments, but, after the problems you endured with Dell, I don't want to see you go through more heartache. Computers are supposed to simplify our lives, not complicate them.

• I forgot to mention that other PC which was taken off the same day as XPS 8000 was XPS one.

Deal with Dell, No Deal No Dell, Dell with Deal, No Dell better life

XPS 8000 Owner!

• TDB53

OK, a few things to note, ....

TDB53,

Thanks for your detailed post and insight.  Very interesting info. 

Just curious, did you order one of the new XPS models, and if so, have you received it yet?

Catherine

• Kiko514

TDB53

OK, a few things to note, ....

TDB53,

Thanks for your detailed post and insight.  Very interesting info. 

Just curious, did you order one of the new XPS models, and if so, have you received it yet?

Catherine

Unfortunately, I did order an XPS 8000 on Dec. 27th.  I have an EDD of 1/25, we will see what happens. Funny story, which I have read before on this thread, my monitor has an EDD of 1/18. What am I going to do with the monitor for a week without the computer?  I just checked the Dell Outlet and they have a refurbished XPS 8000 with everything I ordered plus additional RAM and and upgraded video card for $20 more than I paid.  And, it would ship on Monday or Tuesday. If it is still there on Monday, I am seriously considering cancelling my order and buying the refurb.

• TDB53:

Sounds like you could be in for a long wait given the situations recounted in this thread.  Funny about the monitor because mine was linked to the computer order and both arrived the same day.

Sounds tempting to order the refurb.  I looked around in the outlet store while I was waiting for my 8000 to get here and noticed that when you put something in your cart on an outlet order, they only give you 15 minutes to make the purchase then it is removed. Talk about high sales pressure!

Good luck whichever route you decide to take!  It is definitely a great machine!

Catherine

•  Funny, I've heard way, way more negative comments about the Dell XPS 8000/9000. This thread is one of many.  I understand your comparison .. but if one were to spend the same amount of money, it only makes sense to get the best performing system possible. So the HP is the better value. It'll be my first HP so I can't say anything about reliability or issues until I get it and run it through the ringer of course..

I remember when I had eyes for Dell only ...        I hope your new puter is problem free!

• Ordered my XPS 8000 on 12/03

1st EDD 12/23

2nd EDD 01/04

3rd EDD 01/05

Status still shows as in production. Horrible and rude customer service with basically no authority or information. I can also check the satus of my order online, when I call I expect additional information to be provided as to whats going and and an assurance that by xxxx date I will definitly receive my order.

If I dont receive it by 01/05 I will cancel my order and will never ever buy from Dell.

-Ron

• ronnieyours ,

Thanks for sharing your story, we are almost in the same boat as I ordered a week later than yours with almost your first delivery date and my second one was 12/29 and moved to 12/28 and then moved to 01/06.

I want to see if they are going to finish the production on your machine this week. Did they give you next Biz day delivery promise?

Keep us posted, as we are the only people listing to eachother. Dell didn't do anything to help us..

XPS 8000 Owner!

• NEW CHAT:

Hi
    8:07:14 AM      
    Are you guys still selling XPS 8000?
     8:07:50 AM       her
    Hi. we're no longer selling the studio xps 8000
     8:08:03 AM        me 
    discountinued?
     8:08:10 AM       her 
    yes
     8:08:24 AM       me
    should I wait for another model to come or should I order XPS 9000?
     8:09:16 AM       her 
    you can go ahead and purchase the studio xps 9000 since we don't have any updates yet if a new model will come out
     8:09:47 AM        
    is the estimated delivery date just an estimate and it may be variable up to a month of delay?
     8:11:01 AM     Agent  me 
    that's an estimate delivery date and it would vary depending on the availability of materials
     8:11:47 AM     Customer   
    Could you do me a favor and check on my other order, I have been waiting for it since 12/23 but its still in production. order number is *********. Its really sad that this model has been discountinued.
     8:13:11 AM     Agent   her
    i've check on your order and it is still in production
     8:13:41 AM     Customer    me
    Do you have access to data what has caused this delay?
     8:13:56 AM     Agent   her
    no, i don't have access to it
     8:14:18 AM      
     8:14:22 AM        

XPS 8000 Owner!

• Double Post!

XPS 8000 Owner!

• @nimche  I don't know if it makes a difference to you, but, if you are a person who might consider changing processors in the future, you should be aware of the fact that the 900 series i7 processors in the XPS 9000 use a different socket, therefore motherboard and chipset than the 800 series i7 or i5 processors in the XPS 8000.  The Lynchfield architecture (i5 and 800 series i7s) is being used for the next generation of chips from Intel, so your XPS 8000 will not become obsolete, whereas the architecture used for the chips in the XPS 9000 is not being continued in consumer computers but will be continued in the XEON chips for business computers.The word on the street is that Dell has temporarily stopped selling the XPS 8000 because they could not keep up with the demand and will re-introduce it when they are caught up (it is still being sold by Dell in parts of Europe). 

If you really want the XPS 8000, canel your order and check out the Dell Outlet, they have a few refurbished XPS 8000s that are pretty well equipped that will ship immediately if you don't ask to customize them (get the computer and do the customization yourself).

Unfortunately, in my experience customer service is pretty poor throughout the industry because they are using international call centers staffed with people with little to no technical knowledge, just a script and a computer screen that shows them exactly what you can see yourself from your computer. 

• @KJWills

HP or Dell, I have no particular preference, in fact, I am writing this on a 9 year old HP computer.  However, I recently tried to order a computer from HP and had a nightmare of a time with delivery and lack of customer service. In fact, it never actually got delivered, so I went to Dell and got the computer right away.  I guess the delivery and customer service issues are not limited to only one company.  I was only commenting that the technology is different between the XPS 8000 and the 9000, which might not make a difference to you.  If, however, you are a person who might want to upgrade your computer by changing chips in the future, there are serious considerations.

• Time may be running out on the XPS 8000 refurbished units.  There were 40 when I started looking at them; 35 when I ordered mine on Friday; and now only 9, 7 with i7 processors.

• Hi, I ordered a Dell  Studio XPS 9000 on January 2 2010.

Estimated delivery date is 01/26/2010

Studio XPS 9000
    Studio XPS 9000, Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
    No Keyboard Requested
    Dell 23 inch ST2310 WidescreenFlat Panel
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
    Serial ATA II RAID 0 With Dual640GB Hard Drives
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    Dell Connect 2.1
    Dell Support Center 2.0 64bit
    Dell Dock Consumer
    Download Store Links
    DELL WELCOME,Software Dimension/Inspiron
    DataSafe Local BackUp 2.0 Basic
    PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
    Windows Live Search,Multiple User Interface
    You have chosen a Windows 7 System
    Dell Studio USB Optical Mouse
    No modem requested for Dell Dimension
    ADOBE READER 9.0 MULTI- LANGUAGE
    Roxio 10.3, Easy CD & DVD
    Cyberlink Power DVD 8.3 Blu-Ray Disk Playback
    Dual Drives: DVD+/-RW with BD Combo
    Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
    No Speaker Requested
    Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
    McAfee SecurityCenter 15 Month Subscription, English
    Microsoft Works 9.0, English
    2 Year Limited Warranty
    Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service [after Remote Diagnosis], Extended Year(s)
    Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service [after Remote Diagnosis], Initial Year
    Next Business Day Banctec In-home Service after Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year Extended
    Next Business Day In-home Service after Remote Diagnosis, Initial Year
    Dell Limited Hardware Warranty 7X24 Technical Support, 1 Year Extended
    Dell Limited Hardware Warranty 7X24 Technical Support, Initial Year
    Soft Contracts - Banctec
    2GB DATASAFE ONLINE 1.1 FOR SDO/DIM/INS/XPS
    To activate your online backupaccount, go to Start, Programs, DataSafe Online
    DATASAFE ONLINE 1.1 2GB

S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forDHS Desktops

• TDB53,

I don't know where you knew it who I am but I am the man of change all the time. Even on my XPS 1330 laptop i upgraded my CPU and ram to the highest I could go (Dual 2 Core 2.8 with 6 GB ram) so I love to customize. I do understand your point over the Dell Outlet units but I have been into this delay for almost a month and I will wail little longer since I got a good deal for a new PC with over $500 off and a gift card. So at this point I am all waiting.

Thank you for mentioning and clearing out the 9000 and 8000 which is a must to know for everyone ordering their units. I will make a big difference for me as I have mentioned above.

As of now, my order is still in production lets see if they can ship it by 01/06?

Thank you TDB53

XPS 8000 Owner!