dell dimension 8400 (steady amber, loud fan)

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

dell dimension 8400 (steady amber, loud fan)

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I am looking for help in regards to dimension 8400. Few days ago, when i tried to power on my desktop, i got an amber light on the front and the fan started spinning really fast with loud noise. Also, nothing else worked. My monitor screen stays blank (cant get into bios, setup, ect), and no diagnostic lights on the back on. So, once again, when i boot up, amber light and fan starts spinning fast or making loud noise. After few days i read somethings online, and tried to reseat ram, cpu, video card, network card etc, and it started working. I was happy!

Then just after few minutes the computer froze, so i had to manually turn off the computer. And when i tried to power it back up, the amber light and loud fan started happening again. I tried powering on and off few times after that, sometimes it will turn on and get to sign on user screen and freeze and same situation as i stated before starts happening.

I have no idea what is wrong the desktop. I have tried looking for posts similar to my problem, but there is no definite solution posted (some say change ram, some say replace cpu, buy new motherboard, etc). 

I would really appreciate some help as i am out of warranty and do no have big amount of money to fix it. If some one knows exactly what i need to do in order for dimension 8400 to work properly please reply. 

Thank you

All Replies
  • chiragpatel01 

A solid amber light, indicates a device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

Check the sequence of the diagnostic lights on the back panel of the case, see HERE.

Check the motherboard for capacitors with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• hi bev,

The computer is in a normal off condition or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred.

Plug the computer into a working electrical outlet and press the power button.

above is the sequence of the of the diagnostic lights, as you can see it really does not help me at all. And about the "capacitors with buldging tops or are leaking", i am not sure what do you mean by that. what do you think is the best option? trash it? or repair shop?.

I wish there was a way to know what exactly is malfunctioning, so i can just replace that part. But i will try to look at the motherboard and try to figure out the capacitors issue.

Please advice me any other steps, if any, i need to take in order for my pc to work.

I really appericiate your help.

Thank you

• chiragpatel01

Do you mean that the four diagnostic lights, are not lite?

When the PC is power on, does the power supply fan [on the back panel] run?

THIS can show you what capacitors are and how to identify the bad capacitors.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

•  I have the same problem, when you go to dells net page they tell you that if it's a steady amber light power supply is good this is the third time it's happened to me the other 2 times I disconnected everything and connected everything back until it worked, but there are plenty of reasons why the computer will do this to you, the diagnostics light will not turn on if the computer doesn't bootm, what the steady amber light of Death means is a malfunction in your system or an incorrect hardware assembly, it could be as little as usb pins touching themselves or changing the Cmos battery, or it could be the mother board, I am going to take mine in a repair shop for a diagnostic test.

• Before Getting A diagnostic test you might want to just buy a Used GX280.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0298301

Or Buy a new Inspiron 530 Tower.

Used Inspiron 530 Towers can be $199 at the Dell outlet.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Badcap motherboard can be repaired or replaced.

http://www.impactcomputers.com/u7077.html

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=15

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you have. Have you been able to fix it? It's been a while since you posted your question, but I was wondering if the problem has gone away and if your solution can help me.

Thanks.

Runner_up

• Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you have. Have you been able to fix it? It's been a while since you posted your question, but I was wondering if the problem has gone away and if your solution can help me.

Thanks.

• I have a Dell 8400 also and this same thing is happening.  Amber light on front power indicator, no error lights from the (A B C D) error codes light on the back, and the fan is spinning very fast and is loud.  I would like to know if anyone got their problems resolved.  Thanks.

• * Turn the PC off
    * Unplug the power cord from the back of the PC
    * Lay the PC down on its left side
    * Remove the case cover
    * Remove and reseat every card, cable, plug, and ram stick
    * Close the case cover
    * Reconnect the PC power cord
    * Power the PC on. Any difference?

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Check this out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51352-2-dell-dimension-8400-wont-boot

It has the most comprehensive answers to the problem.

As you can see from the posts, it could be the PSU, mother board and/or CPU.

I'm having the same problem with my Dimension 7400 and have ruled out the PSU, so I have ordered used mother board with processor on eBay.

Hope this will be of help to you.