Dimension E310 won't boot up 6 beeps

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dimension E310 won't boot up 6 beeps

This question is not answered

Good Morning,

This is my first post and I am having a problem with my Dimension E310.  When I press the power on button I get a total of 6 beeps.  One long beep, three shorter beeps and then 2 longs beeps.  On the front of the computer their are 2 green lights that are on. Number 3 and 4.  The monitor is blank and the optical light in the mouse does not come one.  Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

jim

ps please explain in detail because I know little about the internals of a computer.

All Replies
  • Welcome to the user forums.  Lights 3 and 4 on indicate a memory failure issue.  Suggest unplugging computer, open case, then remove and reseat the memory modules. Diagnostic codes shown here:  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/adtshoot.htm#wp1124612

See this for removing modules:  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/parts0.htm#wp1043338

Let us know if this helped or not. 

• I have an identical problem with an identical system.  Did you have any success .. by changing/re-installing the memory?  

• We just joined the forum today (9-5-2010) and this is the first problem we have had on our Dimension E310 Desktop.

Your post  was written over a year ago... but we have just encountered what seems to be a similar problem.

Were you able to address the problem yourself? 

We saw the reply by europa303 indicating a memory failure issue. 

They requested that you let them know if their recommendations were helpful, but if you did, that feed was not posted.

Did you lose files, etc. because of it?

(We pray not... we have many precious photos which would not be replaceable.)

We haven't done anything yet... Would you be willing to share what your results were?

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Vickie

• We just joined the forum today (9-5-2010).

I believe we have a very similar problem.  The computer won't boot up... no monitor/mouse

Lights 3 and 4 on the tower...  a long beep, followed by 3 shorter  a pause and 2 other shorter ones

Were you able to solve your problem?  Any help you could share would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Vickie

• As was stated before the error code indicates a memory failure. The first question would be how comfortable would you be to opening the case and working on it? This isn't complicated but there are some precautions that you need to take in regard to static discharge etc.

Is this something you folks would be willing to try?

Welcome to the forums!!!

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• Hi Jeff,

I am grateful that the forum is available to people like us.

Thanks for the quick response... and in answer to your question:

My husband said that he would be willing to do it, but not today.  It isn't urgent... but I would like for this problem to be resolved a.s.a.p.

I clicked on the links and printed out the pages about removing/installing parts... and also the pages about system lights and beep codes.

We rarely use the computer... in fact, prior to a couple of days ago, we had not tried to access it in over a year.

I asked this question before... and am anxious about the answer:

Does the "memory failure"... cause us to lose our files? 

I would really be sick if that was the case.

My husband and I were missionaries to Russia, and in the last 2 years spent 9 months in Montana.

We have countless files and photos there... most of them backed up on CDs, but not the last couple of years.

If we have questions once Chuck decides to look into it, I'll make another post.  

Thank you again, Jeff.

VC

• campbellsusa

Memory failure does not cause the files and folders to be lost, as they are stored on the hard drive/s.

Files and folders are lost when the hard drive/s fail, or become corrupt, hence the reason for keeping the backups to other media current.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• No problem! As Bev said your files should be safe and sound but backups/copies are always a VERY good idea. Bev answered first because she has three hands and types much faster than I do.

As you said - just post again if and when you are ready to try to fix the problem. I say try because there is a chance that new parts will be required. We won't know that until we get into the case.

Again welcome to the forums! There are lot's of great folks here (most much smarter than I am) that love to try to help other users. And hey - you can't beat the price - FREE.

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• CONFIRMED: I had same symptoms of 6 beeps at the post and this solution worked for me.

I opened the case, ejected the RAM stick and re-inserted it.  After powering PC back on, all is well

Thanks so much for this information.

•  thisisjustincase

Congratulations, please to hear the issue was resolved.  Yes

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Worked for me - thanks!
  • scamp717

Yes

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I am having the same issue on the same computer.... I tried installing a bios update since I got the blue screen which told me to do so, then it said to restart the computer so I did and then on the screen it said shutting down computer for about 30 minutes so I (foolishly) decided to manually turn it off. This is when it started to beep.I have done all the things they  said you should do (such as removing the RAM stick and replacing it)  and still nothing... there are 4 beeps then a pause then 2 beeps.... Can you help please??

•  JS_Sport

As you have not posted your computer model, I'll assume that it's a e310, same as the original poster.

You seem to have either a failed, or corrupt BIOS flash.

Try resetting the CMOS, first remove the power cord, hold the power button in for about 10 seconds to discharge the residue power and remove the CR2032 battery, wait 15 minutes, reinstall the battery, reconnect the power cord and see if this makes a difference.

If this does not fix the problem, then the typical remedy for failed, or corrupt BIOS flash, is to replace the motherboard.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• okay so it started up fine except for it says this on the screen->

Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program

Floppy diskette seek failure

Performing autonatic IDE configuration...

Drive 0: Disk Drive

Drive 2: CD-ROM Device

Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility

Phoenix ROM BIOS 1.10 A03

<- Then there's just copyright  information and that's it. what should I do because I don't wanna screw it up anymore.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it!