CPU upgrade in Dell Inspiron 530 - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

CPU upgrade in Dell Inspiron 530

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

CPU upgrade in Dell Inspiron 530

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hey,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 and I want to upgrade my CPU to a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. Thinking it works, I bought it and I put it in the PC and try starting up and all I get is all the fans moving the DVD R/W works and the HDD is working but the light won't turn blue and nothing is displayed on the screen. When I put my old CPU back in (Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz) it all starts up nicely.

How can I fix this so that my CPU will work in my Dell?

I have updated the BIOS already. If this doesn't work I will be complaining to Dell about this.

Thanks,
Chris

All Replies
  • I have a Dell Inspiron 530 as well, with the same issue.   I had the q6600 version, so I had a quad core cpu to begain with, I assume I have the quad motherboard but i have not checked.

I removed the q6600 and placed it in a better motherboard and its overclocked right now for when I play games or do my main computing.

I kept all the remaining parts case psu ram dell install disks so on.  I just picked up two 775 cpus planning to put the 530 back together and gifting it or selling it.  I get the same response for both cpus.   I dont even get post.  I see the fan going and the cd drive and hard drive power up, but no action. I get no video with either the onboard vga or a video card if I put it in. 

I  went from a q6600 quad core to a 3 ghz p4 with HT  and to a pentium D 3.4 ghz dual core.  Both of these cpus are a generation or two old but still 775 socket.  

Unless my motherboard cant support dual cores which sounds crazy to me,  I would think there is something we are missing here.  The psu from the q6600 which is still in there should be fine to support these older cpus.   I still get no post just like you.

Maybe I am wrong but I would guess it has to do with reseting the cmos.  I will try and pull out my cmos battery and see if that lets it change the hardware.  I dont think it should be required I would hope that motherboard would make the changes on its own. I thought i left the days of mucking with jumpers and exact motherboard settings in the past with my dual cpu p3 setup.  I expect a certain amount of automation these days.

I think its strange that I also have the same problem as the other person in this thread but i am going from a quad core cpu to a dual core.  The other person might have what ever issue this is plus the issue of having a dual core board, but i still think there is some other issue at hand.

As an engineer it makes my head hurt to think that one 775 socket cant support the cpus built for it.  I would at least think my board would be backwards compatible.

q6600 @ 3.1 ghz      gigabyte ds4     gtx 285

• I no longer use the Dell, I decided to build my own custom PC in the end using bit and bobs from the dell but then rebuilt it and gave it to a family member.

• Well thats great lol,  I guess I am the only one with this problem now.   I am also trying to rebuild it to sell to someone but mine wont post.

Unless you have any other info or fixed it I will let this thread go away.  I still wonder if it isnt something simple we overlooked. I will try and pop the bios battery off tonight and see if it fixes anything, if not it could be the dual core quad core issue.

I ordered a tec cpu cooler, i know people might say the air ones are just as good but i know that I will be modifying it later and playing around with it so I would rather spend a few more bucks for something I can play with later then pay less for a fan that will just be added to the pile of old heatsinks later.

When that comes in I may swap the q6600 back into the mother board just to prove it still works, we will see.

• I just built my new pc with the Q6600 and left the old CPU in the pc but your problem may just be the CMOS needs resetting.

• Ya, I just tried it again by reseting the cmos and still now luck.  

To sum it up I have the same issue, I cant get the motherboard to post after putting in a new 775 cpu.  I went from a 2.4 ghz quad core to a 3.4 ghz pentium D.

It is an older cpu so it should be supported, but the motherboard wont post any more.

Has anyone else delt with this issue?   is it possible the motherboard cant support a speed that high (3.0ghz +)  I understand the pentium D is much older then the q6600 but its clock is higher.

I will try and look up the motherboard it self see if anything pops.  its DG33M03 by the way rev A00    

• Who knows who will read this since the thread is 2 years old, but FYI:

When replacing a CPU on any machine, regardless if the socket is the same, there may still be other factors at play (FSB freq, HT link, supported CPU list for mobo).  The original poster most likely had two issues working against him, one he had a mobo that didn't support a Core2Quad and two an insufficient P/S.

The second poster who was down-grading from a Core2Quad to a Pentium 4, same issue as OP with mobo but in reverse.  OEM motherboards that come from companies like dell, hp, or the likes, typically have a restricted set of features and limited compatibility with other components.  This is not dell trying to get one over on you, its dell trying to reduce costs so they can provide you with a quality product at a low price.

To both problems:  find out what CPUs, memory, power supplies, etc could have originally shipped with your model dell then pick from that component list.  My wife bought a 530s about 2 years ago with an older, slower pentium dual core and about a year ago I did some googling of part numbers and researched the 530s for a couple weeks before I settled on a Core2Duo 3.2GHz.  While I would have liked to go to the Core2Quad, the mobo simply could not support it.  Then when she wanted to get dual monitors I had to find a decent slim/low profile graphics card that would run with the low output power supply (that was already being taxed more because of the CPU upgrade).  Its a pain dealing with OEM products, thats why I build my desktops.  But when it comes to laptops, Dell has the best price to performance products.

• Why would you replace a Q6600 with a Pentium D???  It's a huge downgrade in processor.   Keep the quad core.

It may have a faster clock speed but there's much more to processors then clock speeds.  First off the Pentium D is a dual core, so the Q6600 has 2 more cores.

Basic Math.....

Pentium D.. 3.4ghz x 2 = 6.8ghz

Q6600 ... 2.4ghz x 4 = 9.6ghz

The above is a very primative explanation, I know that.... Look them up here and compare them.

• That's just some ignorant math.  More core, whether they be physical or logical, DO NOT increase clock speeds.  More cores only have benefit when the application running on the CPU has the capability to run multiple threads.  Most application out now can only run on 2 core.... very few are optimized or even able to run on 4 or more cores.

Therefor an application running on a computer with a dual core processor operation at 3.0GHz will run faster than if it were running on a computer with a quad core at 2.0GHz (given that both processor run on the same bus speeds, memory, HDD, and were manufactured using the same technology, ie both 45nm chips)  This is the main reason that people who play video games suggest buying a new processor with high clock speeds rather than more cores with lower clock speeds.

• WOW, that was probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard.... Higher clock speed = Better CPU??  That Sir, is ignorant and most of all NOT true.  You could overclock a Pentium D to 5.0ghz and it wouldn't even come close to a Core 2 Duo.... let alone a Core 2 Quad.   This is the prime example why you don't listen to a "weekend warrior" wannabe PC Tech, they'll lead you wrong every time.

CPU Benchmarks from Passmark.com

Intel Pentium D 3.4ghz

Passmark CPU Mark (higher is better)     = 927

Overall Rank (lower is better)    = 619

Core 2 Quad 6600

Passmark CPU Mark (higher is better)  = 2981

Overall Rank (lower is better)   =  192

As you can see by the FACTS... there is no comparison to the two.

Hell, the Pentium D isn't much better then a P4 3.4ghz processor.

Passmark CPU Mark = 549

Overall Rank = 758

You speak of "gamers" (minesweeper doesn’t count)... who the hell are you talking to?  Obviously someone as ignorant as yourself, I'm surprised you can even turn your PC on... let alone give advice.  How about this, get an education on the subject before you start commenting.... you'll make yourself look less stupid next time you comment.

• Damn,

I didn't mean to get your 14 year old nerd rage going.

wichitadisciple

You could overclock a Pentium D to 5.0ghz and it wouldn't even come close to a Core 2 Duo.... let alone a Core 2 Quad

Why are you comparing P4s, Pentium Ds, and Core2 anythings?  They're apple and oranges.  I specifically noted that you can't compare CPUs the are manufactured using different technologies, operate with different bus speed (I say bus speeds because FSB is only relevant when you're talking about a CPU without an integrated memory controller like Pentiums)

wichitadisciple

CPU Benchmarks from Passmark.com
    Intel Pentium D 3.4ghz
    Passmark CPU Mark (higher is better)     = 927
    Overall Rank (lower is better)    = 619

Core 2 Quad 6600
    Passmark CPU Mark (higher is better)  = 2981
    Overall Rank (lower is better)   =  192

As you can see by the FACTS... there is no comparison to the two.

Of course there's no comparison.  My point exactly.  You can't compare a processor developed in 2006 with another from 2007 or 2008.  The newer CPU is almost always better because of advances in manufacture ring technologies.

Take a breath, lay off the Mt Dew, and check out Crysis 2 or Dragon Age 2.  Both are quite respectable games if you have the hours to sink in them.  Just don't try to play them on your old Pentium D

• ScFlint

I didn't mean to get your 14 year old nerd rage going.

No, I'm just educated... of course to someone like yourself, that's a bad thing.

The problem you are having is that you either didn't read the entire thread before posting or you didn't comprehend what you read.

THIS IS WHY I'M COMPARING PENTIUM D's TO CORE 2 ANYTHING's!

My original reply was for APPLESAUCE... he/she said:

applesauce15

To sum it up I have the same issue, I cant get the motherboard to post after putting in a new 775 cpu.  I went from a 2.4 ghz quad core to a 3.4 ghz pentium D.
    It is an older cpu so it should be supported, but the motherboard wont post any more.
    Has anyone else delt with this issue?   is it possible the motherboard cant support a speed that high (3.0ghz +)  I understand the pentium D is much older then the q6600 but its clock is higher.

Understand yet???  Then you came in and started spewing nonsense about clock speeds being better than multiple cores and lost all your credibility.

To top it all off you try to attack my age...LOL.  FYI, I'm a 31 year old IT Professional who works for the 3rd largest IT company in the world..... NO it's not Dell, LOL

ScFlint

Just don't try to play them on your old Pentium D

My Core i7 920 does the job for me.... of course it clock speed is 2.67GHz so next you'll say that Pentium D 3.4ghz is better....LOL

• hi scflint,

i have a 530s and want to upgrade it also, could you help me what model and maybe where you bougth your Core2Duo?

warm regards kimberley

•  bardounias

The following processors are supported by the Inspiron 530s:

Intel Celeron processor 430                                        
    Intel Celeron Processor 420 (1.6 GHz, 800 FSB)
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2140 (1.6 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2160 (1.8 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200(2.5 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (1.8 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 (2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 (1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 (2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 (2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
    Wolfdale Core 2 Duo, E8400, 3.0GHz, 6MB, 1333FSB, 65W, E0
    Wolfdale Core 2 Duo, E8500, 3.16GHz, 6MB, 1333FSB, 65W, C0
    Wolfdale Core 2 Duo  E8500 (3.16 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
    Wolfdale Dual Core Kit, E8600, 3.33GHz, 6MB, 1333FSB, 65W, E0

Also, the Intel Pentium E6500 2.93 GHz dual core processor.

Prior to installing the processor you need to check that you have BIOS Version 1.0.15, or higher, when support for new Intel CPU's was added.

Note: Core 2 Quad processors are not supported by the Inspiron 530s [Slimline]

I purchased a used E8400 for my 530 from Amazon, also eBay is a good source .

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• i also have a dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Pentium E2160. i just want an upgrade so my computer can handle heavy multitasking and occasional games. which Dual core processor is compatible with the 530 that allows that (it needs to be less than $200 if possible)? eventually ill add memory and RAM but i still want a faster processor. Thanks!

• I would go with a Core 2 Quad if I were you.... if you system will support it.  (Towers support faster processors because they have better cooling, the smaller "slimline" computers won't take a C2Q because it can't keep them cool.)

Go here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm  and see what kind of processors your 530 will handle.  After you find what your case will handle, go here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php and compare the benchmarks for each processor your are considering.