HELP Reinstall Dell Diagnostics on an Optiplex 755

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

HELP Reinstall Dell Diagnostics on an Optiplex 755

• In Reference to this link by DarkMyst;
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=318667#M318667

Tech Stuff... HOW TO.......  Options      

There is a way to reinstall Dell Diag, to Any Hard drive,, even in dual mode..

WARNING this file/Program will ERASE your hard drive, and remake the DELL Diag Petiton, so do not try this unless you know exactly what you are doing.. YOU will have to reinstall WINDOWS from a Cd, as the hidden dell restore files will be removed to..(like most gamers still have them any way)

First check your Cd-Rom for the following files and folders (in windows check show hidden files and folders) or drop into a dos window.

Check for a folder called UPC32/UPTOOLS/MKUP.bat (if your like me.. read the bat file)
    Check for a Folder called Diags/DIM32/ A12xx  (mines A1288)

1. Put Dell diag CD in your CD-Rom drive.
    2. Turn your PC on and press F12 to enter the boot menu
    3. Boot the Dell Diag CD.
    4. When the option to press 1 or Q appears, select Q

You are now in a Dos Screen.... (The good old days)

1. Type CD UPC32
    2. Type CD UPTOOLS
    3. Type MKUP 12xx "example"  MKUP 1288 (do not add the A before the version number)

It will give you and option to continue  or cancel. ok so continue and the pc will reboot "LEAVE IT" After boot.. you show see a screen with a blue bar saying NO LOADER.

Now alas the Dell program and does not work right.. so (dont panic its Dell'ed to) we now have to re-run the following steps.

1. Type CD UPC32
    2. Type CD UPTOOLS
    3. Type MKUP <version>"example"  MKUP 1288

This time you should be able to see the new Diag file being copied into the new Daig .

Type Restart.

Test it by pressing F12 at  menu select Dell Diag.

I have tried this on an Optiplex 755 using Dell DRIVERS AND UTILITIES P/N G316D Rev 002 Feb 2008 but I was unable to load Dell Utility Partition.  When I loaded the diagnostics from the disk the version number was V1322.1.  So, I think my problem is the MKUP batch file is looking for "A" version of the diagnostics.  So, I tried an older version disk and loaded A1266.  Then I loaded Windows installed Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics_CW1322A1.exe but when I selected Diagnostics after pressing F12.  The BIOS diagnostics runs and after pre-boot assessment.  No Diagnostic Utility Partition identified. Please press OK to reboot your system.

• Hello,

I solved my own problem.  I have tried this on an Optiplex 755 using Dell DRIVERS AND UTILITIES P/N UC450 Rev A19 May 2008 but I think there is an error in MKUP.BAT the lines that contain %CDROM%\%SRV_UPC%\ is incorrect.  I used UltraISO to change the lines in MKUP.BAT that contain %CDROM%\%SRV_UPC%\ to %CDROM%\UPC32\ reran it again and this time I had no errors.  I used the following command to load the Utility Partition.  MKUP 1329A0.  I had to run it twice.  The first time created the partition.  The second time copied the files.

• As a FYI -  I usually have to run this 4 times to get the partitin created and the files copied

• RE: Posted by Biz18434 on 07-15-2008 2:55 PM  

Thanks Biz... for showing me the cause of my recent hair loss. It seems my MKUP batch file was defective as well.  It kept reporting that it couldn't find the revision number.  After reading your post I read the file MKUP.bat and found paths listed that did not exist on the CD-ROM.  I made the following changes before i could get MKUP to function correctly.

1)

Path listed in MKUP.BAT= %CDROM%\diags\%SRV_DIAG%\A%DIAGREV%\

changed to

CD-ROM true path=%CDROM%\diags\%DIAG32%\A%DIAGREV%\

2)

Path listed in MKUP.BAT= %CDROM%\%SRV_UPC%\uptools\

changed to

CD-ROM true path= %CDROM%\%UPC32%\uptools\