Dell Optiplex 320, 745 and 755 usb stops working.

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Optiplex 320, 745 and 755 usb stops working.

• You have USB Malware.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Who's post are you replying too?

If mine, where'd I get the malware from? The Dell Factory Restore CDs? This is a fresh system, almost new hard drive that has been wiped clean - really clean! The only disks (data sources) used on this computer so far have been the Dell restore CDs. I know it is not unheard of for OEM CDs to have malware on them. Did Dell ever have an issue with that?

Thanks

• 1.  What model dell.

2. What disks?  Just XP or do you have resource Disks.

3. What version of XP , SP1, SP2 ,SP3

4. What are the specific part numbers of these "OEM" cd's/

5. What Bios Version on your dell.

6.  What order are you installing software?

• 1. Optiplex 755 with the Intel Core2Duo processor

2. Dell Reinstallation CD MS XP Pro SP2 and "Driver and Utilities Already installed on your computer" CD

3. SP2

4. KY938 and WX734 Rev. A00 July 2007

5. Will come back to that one in a bit

6. The OS first of course and then the drivers in the order they are presented from the installation menu that comes up when you first use the Drivers CD

• The ""Driver and Utilities Already installed on your computer" CD is not the resource CD.

SP2 if its real would be a GREEN CD.

Chipset should be the first driver installed.

Turn off ALL POWER MANAGEMENT IN BIOS

TURN ON ALL USB IN BIOS

TURN ON ALL LEGACY USB SUPPORT.

Given the numerous "fixes" I recommend BIOS A20

O755-A20.exe

• The volume label for the "Driver and Utilities Already installed on your computer" is ResourceCD. and it is Grey the OS disk is green.  These plus a Roxio CD and a Cyberlink PowerDVD are what came with the system from Dell.

I was reading the "readme.txt" file in the chipset install folder and it recommended also to be the first driver to be installed after the OS, you would think Dell would then put it as the first driver on the menu from the drivers CD?!?!

Anyway the text file states that loss of USB control is common with XP SP1 and Win2K SP4 and provides some troubleshooting advice, unfortunately their fixes require the use of KB and/or mouse. I have the system currently booted up on a UBCD4Win CD and I think I can get the system to a workable state from the info in the readme file, if not I'll post back.

The BIOS steps you have suggested here I have already done except for the update.

• One of the suggestions in the troubleshooting portion of the readme.txt file was to reinstall the OS if their fix didn't work. That's what I ended up doing since I tdidn't have any data to back up or much time involved already.

Before installing anything else after re-installing the OS I applied SP3. That cleared up almost half of the driver errors in hardware manager including the Intel Chipset driver. I also went through and turned off all power features for USB ports/devices in hardware manager.

Now the only issue I'm seeing is a missing driver for SM Bus controller, Windows didn't like the ones on the ResourceCD so I shall see if I can find one on Dell's site. Ran into this same issue on another system a little over a year ago and ended getting the driver from Intel's site.

• "SM Bus controller" means chipset is NOT installed and Not working.

The Fritz Chip Drivers will also need to be installed to eliminate what looks like a modem.

Thats the INTEL AMT and one other driver.

BIOS update for the Dell Optiplex 755 system, version A13 includes an AMT firmware update to version 3.2.3 also that resolves a couple of security issues.

INTEL_AMT-SOL--LMS
    INTEL_AMT-HECI

Intel Local Management Service (LMS) and Serial-over-LAN (SOL) Support

There are Newer Files that you don't need to jump thru hoops for.

One Size Fits all.

Operating Systems

Windows 7 32-bit

Windows 7 64-bit

Windows Vista 32-bit

Windows Vista 64-bit

Windows XP

Windows XP x64

Chipset

ftp.us.dell.com/.../R174616.exe

HECI

ftp.us.dell.com/.../Intel_AMT-HECI_A02_R255437.exe

SOL

ftp.us.dell.com/.../Intel_AMT-SOL--LMS_A02_R255438.exe

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for Intel_AMT-HECI_A02_R255437.exe

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.

2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP

users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK.  The Save In:

window appears.

3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to

select Desktop and click Save.  The file will download to your desktop.

4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close.  The file

icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled Intel_AMT-HECI_A02_R255437.exe.

2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or

unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R255437. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.

Setup.exe) file can be found later.

3.The Self-Extractor window appears.

4.Click OK.

5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor

window is still open, close it.

6.Click the Start button and then click Run.

7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R255437 in the Open textbox and then click OK.

8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.           

• I'll try that, Thank you.

• Thank You Speedstep, got the machine back up and running last week shortly after your last reply and then found out I needed to prepare it for a new employee. It actually seems to perform faster/better now than before the crash.

I have a second one that was purchased the same time that has some performance issues just as this one previously had. As soon as I can I'll coordinate with that user and update the BIOS, is there any other updates you would recommend?

Thanks

• Updating to the latest Bios is what I usually do.  The AMT_SOL and AMT_HECI drivers had me scratching my head for a while.  

If you're deploying the BIOS update via a ESM software package, such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007, you can automate the staging of the BIOS update (without forcing a reboot) using the following command line:

O755-A20.exe -noreboot -nopause

Dell OptiPlex 755 System BIOS
    Release Date: 10/26/2011
    Version: A20
    Importance: Recommended
    Download Type: BIOS
    File Format: Non-Packaged
    File Size: 2MB
    10/26/2011  2:11 AM      2239507 O755-A20.exe

Update MEFW 3.2.60.1060 2
    Add Signed Firmware Update feature
    Add new master password algorithm support
    Updated PSA diagnostic
    Updated ImageServer Option ROM
    Updated Intel TXT module
    Enhanced the method of specific smart card support.
    Added back 512MB memory configurations support which was removed in A16 BIOS
    Update PXE Boot Agent
    Update Imageserver OptionROM
    Update Intel ME Firmware

• Try this:

DriveCleanup V0.8.1 - removes non present drives from the device tree
    Freeware by Uwe Sieber (c) 2007-2011

I found it online.  You might, too.

• CJ Goggin

Try this:

DriveCleanup V0.8.1 - removes non present drives from the device tree
    Freeware by Uwe Sieber (c) 2007-2011

I found it online.  You might, too.

This software contains malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors.

NOT recommended.

Google is not your friend.

• Good morning, I Did have this issue. I hit F2 went into set up. In bios go to boot sequence press enter. The list specifies the order that the bios searches for devices trying to find the operating system. Make sure all not present are all at bottom of list. Make sure 1.. is onboard usb cd-rom drive  2. USB DEVICE  3. Onboard SATA Hard drive or drives if you have only 1 hard dive then 1,2,3, is all you need. My 755 OptiPlex now recognizes all usb ports.

• I admit that there are a lot of so called drive cleaners and registry cleaners out there that are pure [ADMIN NOTE: Substitute characters deleted as per TOU]

This particular one (I could attach the zip file to an email to you if you'd like to see what it does in a test environment) seems

legit.  What I've actually seen it fix is if a computer's usb port stops recognizing a particular USB drive, but still recognizes others

on the same port, and sometimes, but not always, if it stops recognizing any at a particular port, then after running the app and rebooting it starts recognizing usb drives attached there again.  It doesn't fix damaged usb drives and it doesn't fix dead usb ports, but it may unmask a port that could be working just fine.