Dell Dimension 2400 Power Supply

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Dimension 2400 Power Supply

• Hi folks,

I have a Dimension 2400 that I want to keep although it is 4 years old now.

I recently had the problem that the computer is suddendly freezing after having successfully booted and loaded the desktop. The symptom is that there are some stranges rectangle shapes on the screen when it does this. After having reset the computer, this one is then no longer starting, except when I wait a while for the whole thing to cool down.

It definitely makes me think of a power supply failure.

Now to my question... I have never changed a Power Supply. I have seen that the Dimension 2400 uses a 200W. However, there are no longer 200W PSU's available... it starts at 350W. Would that make it?

Are the size and screw-holes of PSU's standard?

Thanks in advance.

• I would not, first suspect the power supply.  The overheating or apparent overheating would most likely be on the motherboard or video card (if it has a video card).  Has the PC ever been cleaned out?  if not, obviously with the power off, open the PC and clean out (blow out) all the accumulated dust, especially on the CPU heatsink.  Be careful when cleaning it out as there are static sensitive chips in the PC.  If you "blow" it out, use the air from a vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air. 

After cleaning, power it back up with the cover off and make sure the CPU fan and the power supply fans are operating.  If the fans are OK, close it up and see what affect the cleaning has on it.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Ok... I have thouroughly cleaned out the PC. There was not much dust. Event taking of the plastic cap over the CPU heatsink.

But I have still the same symptoms.

I noticed however that the CPU fan was not working at all. Is it supposed to work at power-on? If so, it might it be a fan failure?

Thanks in advance.

• clehmann

The case/processor fan under the green plastic shroud, should run from when the system is powered-on, until it's shutdown.

Check to see if the fan's power connector is properly connected to the motherboard.

If it is and the fan still does not run, then the fan unit is the first part to replace.

A 2400 replacement fan/shroud unit can be purchased from Dell Spare Parts here, or from here

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Well... I changed the fan. It is turning when powering on but now, nothing happens.

When I press the power button, it looks like the computer will boot. But after a short time, it switches off to switch on again after a while. Strange.

The strange thing is that I even have no BIOS menu (so I am not able to enter setup mode), although the fans and the disk are rotating.

I even tried to clear the BIOS taking out the battery... but nothing.

I definitely think about changing the PSU...

Anyway... any help is welcome.

Thx in advance

• Sounds like the motherboard has failed. Remove all external devices, open the computer and remove all cards and ram, unplug the power connection to the harddrives and opticals(if installed). plug the computer in and press the power button. look at the button light color any diagnostic lites and listen for any beeping...

the lack of any is a good indication that the motherboard is bad.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Well.... I actually did not notice the diagnostic lights... If so I would have found the failure straight away... Changing the fan, I probably "rattled" a bit against the memory... and the diagnostic lights clearly indicated that it was a memory failure.

Now, one last question: I have replace the fan with a non-Dell fan (I do not want to pay 15$ for something that is worth only a couple of $). But when passing through the BIOS check it states "fan failure"... a friend of mine said that this was usual. Is it possible to by-pass this check in the BIOS?

Thanks a lot.

• clehmann

The only way to stop the "fan failure, press F1 to continue" error message at every boot up, is to install a Dell fan.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell