Precision 690 max memory rank?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Precision 690 max memory rank?

• Hello,

in the precision 690 what is the max memory rank supported? 16 or 8?

8 slot dimm for "single-rank" memory or 8 slot dimm for "dual-rank" memory?

• Hi,

Memory

Type NOTICE: Full-length heat spreaders (FLHS) are required for any memory in a memory riser and for 667 MHz DIMMs.533- or 667-MHz Fully Buffered DDR2 SDRAM (Fully Buffered DIMMs or FBDs)

Memory connectors 8

Memory capacities 512-MB or 1-, 2-, or 4-GB ECC

Minimum memory 1 GB

Maximum memory NOTICE: Full-length heat spreaders (FLHS) are required for any memory in a memory riser and for 667 MHz DIMMs.32 or 64 GB (with optional memory riser cards) BIOS address F0000h 

Also see, Crucial

MikeXPS720
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    McAfee Security Center
    Microsoft Office 2007
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz
    4Gb Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400DDR2-800 SLI-Ready
    Qty.(1) Seagate Barracuda 250Gb Hard Drive
    Qty.(2) Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 786Mb Memory
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Sound Card
    LITE-ON 16X DVD-ROM
    LITE-ON 16X DVD-RW
    Broadcom 5754 Ethernet NIC NetXtreme
    Dell 24" LCD Monitor
    Logitec Cordless Desktop Wave Keyboard & Mouse
    HP Scanjet G4010 Photo Flatbed Scanner
    Canon i950s Photo Printer

• Is it normal??? For me no.... I see 4 gb of ram and in the slot there is 8 gb of ram..... Please help me to understand...

• Hi,

What operation system are you running?

XPS720
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    McAfee Security Center
    Microsoft Office 2007
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz
    4Gb Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400DDR2-800 SLI-Ready
    Qty.(1) Seagate Barracuda 250Gb Hard Drive
    Qty.(2) Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 786Mb Memory
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Sound Card
    LITE-ON 16X DVD-ROM
    LITE-ON 16X DVD-RW
    Broadcom 5754 Ethernet NIC NetXtreme
    Dell 24" LCD Monitor
    Logitec Cordless Desktop Wave Keyboard & Mouse
    HP Scanjet G4010 Photo Flatbed Scanner
    Canon i950s Photo Printer

• Windows Vista Ultima 32 bit....

But yesterday i installed a dual boot: Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit.

With 8 gb of ram vista 32 bit is ok. The memory is 3.25 gb (ok for 32 bit system). Boot an go.

With 2 gb of ram vista 64 bit is ok.

I installed a microsoft patch KB 929777 for the ram > 3gb.... (I installed 8 gb of ram - I want to see if the system sees 8 gb) and:

reboot and blu screen... :(

PS: The image is it my bios configuration.
  • This is odd indeed... as you suspect, what you are seeing in your BIOS setup screen isn't influenced by your operating system, so the version of Windows you have (or your dual boot setup, for that matter) should have any effect.

Not sure what happened to cause the blue screen when you applied the patch, but I guess that could be related.

Are all 8 of your DIMMs the same type - from the same vendor, etc? What happens if you swap them around?
  • All rams are equal to capacity rank and organization but 6gb are SuperTalent and 2gb are A-Data

From user manual of WS690:

"For optimal performance fully buffered DIMMs (FBDs) should be installed in matched sets of four. This enables quad-channel operation and provides the highest memory bandwidth. The sets of four must be matched in size, rank, and organization. This information can normally be found on the FBD label. For example, the label of each FBD in a set of four might read: 1G 2R x8, in which 1G represents the size of the memory module, 2R represents the number of ranks, and x8 represents the organization.

Memory Installation (Without Memory Riser Cards)

Fully buffered DDR2 memory modules can also be installed in pairs of two; in this case, the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. The pairs must be matched in size, rank, and organization.

Install memory modules in order of their labels on the system board; matched sets of four should be installed first into DIMM slots 1-4 and then into DIMM slots 5-8 on the system board. Pairs of memory should be first installed into slots DIMM_1, and DIMM_2, then DIMM_3 and DIMM_4, and so on.

NOTICE: Do not install non-ECC, unbuffered, or non-fully-buffered memory modules. Doing so may cause the system not to boot."

The image is with 6 gb of SuperTalent ( from slot 1 to slot 6)..... but the system recognized 4 gb

4 gb of SuperTalent (from solt 1 to slot 4).... but the system recognized 2 gb

And now.... with 4gb of Supertalent in slot dimm1,2 and 5,6 the system recognized 4 gb of ram

I don't UNDERSTAND... For me my motherboard (slot 3, 4, 7, 8) are damage.... :(

• ... but thi is a memory test with dell utility (note the total amount of ram... 8192 mb)....

and the test finish positive.... All tests passed!!

??? :( :( ???

• Now you've got me scratching my head too!  This gets more and more interesting with each turn.

As the user manual noted, the 690 has four separate memory channels.  They are connected in daisy-chain fashion; that is, one memory channel feeds slots 1 and 5, one feeds slots 2 and 6, one feeds slots 3 and 7, and the last one feeds slots 4 and 8.

On any given channel, the signals have to pass through the first DIMM to get to the second - so, for example, DIMM 1 must be installed and healthy before you can use a DIMM in slot 5.  Another example - if you install four DIMMs in slots 5, 6, 7 and 8 the system will see them but it won't be able to use them.

The thing that jumps out at me is that you are always running in dual channel mode - even when you have a valid four-channel configuration built up (DIMMs in slots 1-4 or DIMMs in all 8 slots) you are still running in dual channel mode.  To me that indicates either a problem with some of your DIMMs or a problem in the motherboard.

Lastly... in the BIOS memory reporting screen, the DIMM identification is actually taken from a small programmed part on the memory DIMM itself.  It's there to tell the system "this is what kind of memory I am" and it reports all sorts of things including size, speed, brand, etc.

Actually being able to use the DIMM depends on it passing a simple memory test - so it is possible for BIOS to report that you have 8 DIMMs present, but only 4 of them actually work.  The difference is because when the BIOS asked the DIMM "what are you" it responded correctly, but when it asked "do you work" it failed.

But then you MpMemory test seems to indicate all is well!  Strange!

With all this in mind, can you shift your DIMMs around a bit to see if you can detect a pattern?  And can you tell us exactly what part number memory (from each of your two brands) that you're using?
  • Today I put a photo of my ram....

• This is my ram:

• Some idea? No aid?
  •  

Had the same problem of recognizing half the memory.

Take the battery out and put it back in to reset the BIOS to default. Reboot and the memory mode should go back to Quad and correctly recognize all memory.

• Did you ever solve this?

I had the same problem recently with 1Gb DIMMs. (8) installed, but only 4Gb recognized. In my case, doing the same resets suggested to you didn't help. What did was blowing the DIMM slots out with canned air and seating and reseating the DIMMs with an extra-firm push. The next power-up all the memory was present and tallied by the BIOS.

Now I can't get the wretched thing to fully recognize my new pair of 4Gb DIMMs I just bought.  

I had the same problem. Initially I had 4x512MB DELL brand modules in slots 1 thru 4 and the system reported 2GB total memory.

I just added another 4x512MB modules in slots 5-8 and the system reported 3GB total memory. The new memory modules were all matched, Hynix brand. So I ran a utility that informed me of the manufacturer of the chips themselves.

All the DELL modules had Hyundai brand chips and 2 of the Hynix had Hyundai brand and 2 had Samsung brand chips. I ended up rearranging the sequence of the 4 newer modules in slots 5-8 such that the Hyundai chip based modules were paired and the Samsung chip based modules were paired.

Solved my issue.