Setting up an wireless card on an Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Setting up an wireless card on an Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop

• Hi Everyone,  I have ordered an Dell Inspiron 530 a month ago. I have gotton the wireless card with it an never worked. I returened it an bought a Dell Inspiron 531 with out an wireless card. I went to a local electronics store and purchased an Netgear wireless PCI card. Does it matter what PCI slot I connect it to? I noticed that their are two on the 530 and sure that on the 531 it is the same. Thanks. Also, anything I should do before I install?

Thanks, Rinkerwolf
  • With XP and Vista Slot assignments are moot.  The operating system assignes teh IRQ for the card regardless of the slot it is in.

Donald Kempf

Inspiron E1505 /XPS 10 Windows 8

Dimension 8400 Windows XP/Vista/8

#IWork4Dell

• Are you saying it does not matter which slot it is in? I belevie their are 2 PCI slots on the 531 system. Can I connect it to anyone? I belevie that the modem card is on the bottom PCI slot. Can I put the Netgear wireless PCI card above it or remove the modem and put the Netgear wireless PCI card where the modem card was?
  • doesn't matter

you can connect to any wireless network in range, provided you ave security access to that network

Donald Kempf

Inspiron E1505 /XPS 10 Windows 8

Dimension 8400 Windows XP/Vista/8

#IWork4Dell

• Rinkerwolf

Yes, if you do not use or need the Dell provided modem you may remove it and install the PCI wireless network device in that slot.

In fact, that would be the preferred method to avoid conflicts.
  • So you think I should remove the modem and install the Netgear wireless PCI card in that slot?