XPS 400 doesn't see SD card

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 400 doesn't see SD card

• Our XPS 400 universal card reader doesn't seem to recognize that an SD card has been inserted.  We've had the computer about 1 year but this is the first time we have tried using the SD card reader.  Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
    -Keith
  • Have you tried any other type of media card?
  • I have had that problem once or twice before, try turning off the computer unpluging the reader & resetting the plug again making sure it seated good. Re-starting the computer

After it has fully restarted re insert the card & see if it reads it... Also check "go to start in the lower right corner than my computer & see if the card reader is listed...

Good luck..

XPS400
    Pentium D 940
    XP Media edition
    EVGA 8800gts 320mb Factory Overclocked
    320gb HD
  • No, we haven't tried any other media cards.  Thx.
  • You may want to open the case and see if it's plugged into the mobo. There have been cases where Dell has not plugged in the media reader for some reason. When you build that many machines a day, some things will get missed.
  • Bindloss
    One more thing to try:

do you have a card reader in your monitor or printer?
    If so, does the computer see your SD card there?  If yes, then it's a driver issue *

Also: what kind of SD card are you using?
    In my previous endeavour with a XPS710, I too had problems getting the Media Reader to recognize the SD card I was using.  I finally figured it out with a tech support at Dell.

* We found out I was using the new version of cards designated HC (High Capacity)
    If you have a HC SD card, then the problem is not the computer.  It is a driver issue, which as of 3 weeks ago is still unsolved.  You should check peridically to see if a new driver is available.  In the meantime you can use your card reader(s) in your printer or monitor to use your SD (HC) card.

I hope this helps.  Good Luck

Peace

• Money,

The media card reader shouldn't require a driver. It is a USB Device attached to the internal USB Header on the mobo. It is possible that either the media reader is faulty or the connection is loose, but there isn't much else that can go wrong. These devices dhould automatically be recognized by the OS when it enumerates the USB.

Regards - MichaelO

E6700 1.4.1 Bios - OS XP MCE 2005
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 @ 667 Mhz
    24 in Dell 2405FPW
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX - soon to be 8800GTX
    XFI w/ Logitech Z-5450 5.1
    1 x 300 SATA Seagate
    2 x 250GB SATA WD
    1 x 320 SATA Seagate perpendicular Storage Technology

Message Edited by odenwalder on 06-17-2007 03:31 PM

• MichaelO: The media card reader shouldn't require a driver

That is what Dell Tech Support told me, we tried the regular SD cards and it worked in the reader.  the SD-HC only worked in my printer and the 24" monitor.
    So Dell told me to wait until the card reader manufacturer supplied new drivers.  this was confirmed by more than one other tech guy.  So I was only quoting what I was told.

Peace

• Money,

He just said it wouldn'rt read an SD card - no mention of SD-HC. Aren't these the new high capacity cards? I don't think there are a lot of these out there yet and I don't think my Nikon SLR will even support them. So unless it is an HC the reader should work. Right?

Regards - MichaelO

E6700 1.4.1 Bios - OS XP MCE 2005
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 @ 667 Mhz
    24 in Dell 2405FPW
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX - soon to be 8800GTX
    XFI w/ Logitech Z-5450 5.1
    1 x 300 SATA Seagate
    2 x 250GB SATA WD
    1 x 320 SATA Seagate perpendicular Storage Technology

• Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  We opened the case and the cable was indeed NOT plugged in ... I'm sure we haven't shaken it loose ... Dell probably forgot to connect it.  It recognizes the SD card and works ok ... EXCEPT once we've ejected the card and we re-insert it, the OS doesn't see it .  If we restart the computer, it's sees it ok until we eject it.  Oh well, I guess we can live with that ;-)

• I'm glad you got it fixed. Not sure why the Dell assemblers miss this occasionally, but I guess no one's perfect! :smileywink:
  • There is one other thing, when you get ready to remove the card if you do not make sure it is safe to remove the card it can create a voltage spike and damage the card. On the lower rt corner you will have an icon that states if it safe to remove your hardware. Good Luck

XPS400
    Pentium D 940
    3gb 667mhz memory
    EVGA 8800gts 320mb Factory Overclocked
    320 gb HD
    19" Dell LCD
  • MichaelO:
    Money,

He just said it wouldn'rt read an SD card - no mention of SD-HC. Aren't these the new high capacity cards? I don't think there are a lot of these out there yet and I don't think my Nikon SLR will even support them. So unless it is an HC the reader should work. Right?

Regards - MichaelO

Yes that's why in my original reply I asked if the original poster was using regular or HC cards
    > Yes regular cards should work in the PC media reader
    > as for the cameras, the newer models should work with HC cards, and their manuals would indicate so if they do.
    HC cards have been out for a bout a year now.  Prices have come down too.  I bought my first one for 120 a 4Gig model last November, now you could buy a 8Gig one for about 79 bucks!!!

Peace

• Here's an interesting article with regards to Vista and SD cards (HC ones too):

SD card rollup package for Vista

Microsoft has released a rollup for Windows Vista that will address issues with Secure Digital (SD) cards, including support for SD cards with capacities of 8 GB or larger and support for SD Input/Output (SDIO) cards such as network adapters and other devices that use the SDIO slot. For more information on how to get the rollup, see KB article 933847 at
    http://www.wxpnews.com/EA4N6Y/070619-SD-Cards

Peace