Windows Configuration Error

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Windows Configuration Error

• Hello Everyone, I am trying to flash the BIOS on my Dell Dimension 4600 and I am getting a "Windows Configuration Error" Contact Technical support if this occurs again message. My Current Bios is A02 and the latest available is A12. Please Help! Thanks and have a Nice Day!
  • Is there a reason you want to update the BIOS?  Since there is always a slight risk when updating the BIOS, it shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty which I suspect your system is.  In the event you need a newer BIOS update for a planned hardware upgrade or to correct a problem you are having then by all means a BIOS update is necessary.

If you still wish to update the BIOS then try disconnecting all unneeded USB devices except for the keyboard and mouse.  Also close out all unneed applications running in the background.  Either of those two items can cause a problem with the BIOS update.
  • Thank you for your response. I wanted to update the BIOS because when I have the machine to wake up from SLEEP mode it hangs ( I have to shut down the machine when not in use and give it a fresh boot everytime), this error has been updated in the latest BIOS. Also what is the recourse if the BIOS fails to update and the machine goes blank. Can I restore the old BIOS without DELL tech support? I am booting into the Administrator Profile on Safe Mode to install BIOS. Appreciate your help.

• Majestic wrote:
    Is there a reason you want to update the BIOS?  Since there is always a slight risk when updating the BIOS, it shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty which I suspect your system is.  In the event you need a newer BIOS update for a planned hardware upgrade or to correct a problem you are having then by all means a BIOS update is necessary.

If you still wish to update the BIOS then try disconnecting all unneeded USB devices except for the keyboard and mouse.  Also close out all unneed applications running in the background.  Either of those two items can cause a problem with the BIOS update.

Updated to A12 BIOS. Thanks for your help.
  • You're welcome.  Glad to hear the upgrade was a success.
  • Hi kittu
    I have the same problem too on my XPS 700 new BIOS flash.  I did try unplug all the usb and close all the application.  But no luck, I'll be very happy if you can teach me how you done it.  I'm currently running on Vista 64bit.

Thank you!!
  • HI

Although this is an old post I thought I would add some revelance to it so more people could fix their problems.

The suggestion to unplug USB devices and quit all other unused programs is fine but does not help the novice (Like Me) trying to fix the problem.

What I found to fix the Bios Update  error "Windows Configuration Error" was to

1 Run MSConfig

2 Open Services and click "Hide all MS Services"

3 Click "Disable all Services" This will require a Restart. On startup I was then able to run the Bios Update.

Reverse the procedure to Enable your Services. It worked for me.

Dell needs a better search system. The 3 main words in my search were in this question but it was listed on page 3 instead of page 1. WHY