GX240 Power Supply

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

GX240 Power Supply

• Does Dell sell replacement power supplies for GX150 or GX240?

Thanks!

I just ordered a HIPRO from New Egg
    HIPRO Power supply seems to have same orientation and no rocker power switch AND finally the right
    dimensions of : 140 * 150 * 86 (mm)

URLS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817174025
    http://www.hipro.com.tw/product/atx.htm

Hope this helps all I will post when I get them in and see if they work!

-metro305

Message Edited by metro305 on 06-23-200612:53 PM

• Message Edited by metro305 on 06-23-200612:53 PM

• This is because in some of the tower models, Dell uses rebadged HiPro Power supplies.  FYI HiPro makes an IBM OEM power supply unit sans the rocker switch that is rated at 340W.  They can be found on fleabay every so often.  Everything else they make that I've seen that is rated at least 300W would require some cutting of the case or removal of the switch, both of which can be a danger to yourself and the PC.

• Driving a car can be a danger if you are reckless. Nobody ever died from modding the case that I know of.

If you dont want to do that some have used a psu from BFG and fit it upside down.

Others pay thru the nose and use pc power and cooling for the tower.

The case mod is not hard and takes 15 seconds to 5 minutes depending on the tool used.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Thanks for the informatino about the rebranded information as this would have saved me
    time weeks ago? ;) I basically looks several powersupply pics on Newegg until I could identify one from the line up
    then proceeded to the manufacurer's website to get exact specs missing from NewEgg.com's website (dimension)

So the long short is that the PSUs fit the GX150 and GX240 perfectly.

Only time will tell if thse HIPROs from NewEgg.com are any good and I imagine they will be just fine.

Thanks for the feedback all!

-metro305
  • Edit:  FYI, beyond this point the thread is likely no longer useful to other users pertaining to the original issue.

Cutting off the back of the case leaves metal shards and fillings around, as well as sharp, upturned edges at the point where people usually grab the case to pick it up/tilt it forward.

Removing the switch from the power supply means opening the power supply, voiding the warrenty, and dancing around the coils, capacitors, and connected leads, and then either covering the switch and placing it in an out of the way location within or cutting the switch and joining the 2 leads.

I didn't say people would die, but you can get knocked on your rear pretty good, end up with a couple of stitches, and/or end up buying new parts.  Sharp edges are something parents have to keep in mind with small kids around as well.  Although if they are that young, they would probably not have access to the equipment anyway.

Message Edited by FFXJCE on 07-05-200609:25 AM

• FFXJCE wrote:
    Cutting off the back of the case leaves metal shards and fillings around, as well as sharp, upturned edges at the point where people usually grab the case to pick it up/tilt it forward.

Removing the switch from the power supply means opening the power supply, voiding the warrenty, and dancing around the coils, capacitors, and connected leads, and then either covering the switch and placing it in an out of the way location within or cutting the switch and joining the 2 leads.

I didn't say people would die, but you can get knocked on your rear pretty good, end up with a couple of stitches, and/or end up buying new parts.  Sharp edges are something parents have to keep in mind with small kids around as well.  Although if they are that young, they would probably not have access to the equipment anyway.

Filings? Shards? LOL.  You can get small bits of metal into the board if you are careless.  If you worry about this you can remove the board with the tray before the mod and put back when you are done. Sharp edges I agree but those can be either ignored or addressed with a specific tool. I have never ever told anyone that you open or do anything with a power supply. The case Mod Im talking about is a One time thing. Does not require doing anything with the power supply. Is NOT Dangerous except for the sharp edges part. And basically takes very little time.  I NEVER tell people to do ANYTHING with a PSU other than replace it.  With PC Power and cooling's Parts you pay thru the nose but No Mods are required.   The PSU Below is an Antec True PowerII PSU.

Below is one of the Ugliest mods Ive ever made because I was not particularly worried about how it looks.

I used Right angle Tin snips to do this one.

http://www.iaqsource.com/index.php?module=product&prod_cat=62&prod_mfg=0&prod_sub_cat=0&prod_id=1851

If you want it to not be sharp you can use Deburring Tools to finish off the edge.

http://www.newmantools.com/noga.htm

Message Edited by SpeedStep on 07-05-200609:48 AM

• "Filings? Shards? LOL. Sharp edges I agree but those can be either ignored or addressed with a specific tool."

You mean like a file or pliers, which may cause shards to break off?   Heck, even a bad cut with the tin-snips means some small pieces which can get away from you.

"I have never ever told anyone that you open or do anything with a power supply. The case Mod Im talking about is a One time thing. Does not require doing anything with the power supply. Is NOT Dangerous except for the sharp edges part. And basically takes very little time."

Please read the thread before replying.

• FFXJCE wrote:
    "Filings? Shards? LOL. Sharp edges I agree but those can be either ignored or addressed with a specific tool."

You mean like a file or pliers, which may cause shards to break off?   Heck, even a bad cut with the tin-snips means some small pieces which can get away from you.

"I have never ever told anyone that you open or do anything with a power supply. The case Mod Im talking about is a One time thing. Does not require doing anything with the power supply. Is NOT Dangerous except for the sharp edges part. And basically takes very little time."

Please read the thread before replying.

The only dangerous things are your words.  I read fine.  I have done the mod I described.  NEVER TOLD ANYONE TO USE A FILE.  You insist on inserting things to validate your scaremongering about it being sooo dangerous.

"Removing the switch from the power supply means opening the power supply, voiding the warrenty"

• Since the scope of this discussion has obviously gone well beyond what I can justify doing from work, I am doing this from home instead.

Let's break this down into something easier to follow.

RE: The power supply switch removal mod

Me: "Everything else they make that I've seen that is rated at least 300W would require some cutting of the case or removal of the switch, both of which can be a danger to yourself and the PC."

You: "Driving a car can be a danger if you are reckless. Nobody ever died from modding the case that I know of."

>Ah, here's part of the problem. You probably ment just the mod to the actual outer casing itself.

Me: "I didn't say people would die, but you can get knocked on your rear pretty good, end up with a couple of stitches, and/or end up buying new parts."

You: "I NEVER tell people to do ANYTHING with a PSU other than replace it."

Me: "Please read the thread before replying."
    >Or, in other words, you are claiming or implying I have said something I have not, which I took for an error of comprehension.

You: "The only dangerous things are your words."

>I never said you did. I never even implied you did. I mentioned it as a potential, albeit dangerous possibility. You then proceeded to critisize me for telling people to be careful. So, I replied with why I thought my position was justified. You respond with an accusation that I am trying to claim the idea is yours. Please indicate where I have claimed the idea was yours.

---

Now for the case mod:

"I have done the mod I described."

As have I. I am typing this on the PC I did it to right now. I needed the extra power for half decent video card and a second hard drive.

"The case Mod Im talking about is a One time thing."

I never said it wasn't.

"Does not require doing anything with the power supply."

...well, except making sure everything lines up right, but that's nitpicking.

"Is NOT Dangerous except for the sharp edges part."

Except from metalic peices falling into the case and getting stuck inconvienently in the electronics of the PC, which I mentioned. You finally mentioned taking the motherboard out. However, I recommend the following in addition, take out everything that you can and bring a shop vac for vacuuming out the case afterwards case; especially if you plan on deburring the edges.

"And basically takes very little time."

It takes about 15 to 20 minutes, dissasebly and all. And that's if you bother to try to deburr the edges some. (I used a dremel to grind down some of the points, with the debris being ejected outside of the case which brings me to another thing...)

"Sharp edges I agree but those can be either ignored or addressed with a specific tool."

To which I replied: "You mean like a file or pliers, which may cause shards to break off? Heck, even a bad cut with the tin-snips means some small pieces which can get away from you."

This is what I replied to. You edited the message after the fact to include a link to a specific set of tools. People who do not have your toolbox will instead default to the tools they have, have access to, or if not that, the ones they are familiar with to do the assigned task if not specifically told what to use.

Oh, FYI to the thrify out there: Using the cheaper angled tinsnips results in more ragged edges than the right angle ones he used. It's up to you if the $8 difference is worth it or not to you all out there. I don't know how much those deburring tools he's got linked cost. But, regardless, it's your choice.