Will not recognize DSL modem

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Will not recognize DSL modem

• I have Dimension 5100 and Windows XP, Service Pack 2.  I access the internet using Verizon DSL through AOL and my Internet Explorer will not access the internet.  In addiiton, I recently could not even sign onto AOL, it said it could not initialize the DSL.  So I uninstalled AOL and reinstalled and it just tries to set up a dial-up connection and does not even detect the modem.  I have chekced and double-checked all connections. AOL has come to my street and checked the modem and they say no problems.  The DSL runs through a Linksys wireless router to my desktop.  My laptop works fine - both internet explorer and AOL.  I , have tried an express test of the computer and no defects with the network cards were detected.  I have also disabled the firewalls.  DEll support says it is a software problem and want me to pay $99+ to get it fixed (what a racket?)  I just got the Dimension 5100 in August 2005 and have added no software (AOL and McaFee came with it), except Quicken, but have had no problems until now. 

I have tried disconnecting the Linksys router and reconecting directly to the DSL modem but same symptons.

Any ideas.  When Dell says it is a "software problem" what are they referring to?

• Andy121 wrote:
    I have Dimension 5100 and Windows XP, Service Pack 2.  I access the internet using Verizon DSL through AOL and my Internet Explorer will not access the internet.  In addiiton, I recently could not even sign onto AOL, it said it could not initialize the DSL.  So I uninstalled AOL and reinstalled and it just tries to set up a dial-up connection and does not even detect the modem.  I have chekced and double-checked all connections. AOL has come to my street and checked the modem and they say no problems.  The DSL runs through a Linksys wireless router to my desktop.  My laptop works fine - both internet explorer and AOL.  I , have tried an express test of the computer and no defects with the network cards were detected.  I have also disabled the firewalls.  DEll support says it is a software problem and want me to pay $99+ to get it fixed (what a racket?)  I just got the Dimension 5100 in August 2005 and have added no software (AOL and McaFee came with it), except Quicken, but have had no problems until now. 

I have tried disconnecting the Linksys router and reconecting directly to the DSL modem but same symptons.

Any ideas.  When Dell says it is a "software problem" what are they referring to?

You've got a bit of confusion clouding the issues here.

First, AOL should not be looking for any modem.  You want the connection that says something like ISP/LAN.  There is no modem or dialing involved, the connection is always on.

Have you tried just using IE w/o AOL? 

This is all software related, not hardware, so that's why Dell won't help w/o a fee. 

If the laptop works through the router, then the router isn't the issue.  What firewalls have you disabled?  And how do you know they are disabled?  Do you have a network between the computers that you can test to see if they see each other?

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm