gx280 blinking amber light

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

gx280 blinking amber light

• In my lab, there is 1 PC (a gx280) that is not behaving very well. When someone is actually using the computer, all is well. However, when left unattended for some time (an hour, maybe?) it will turn off and the "on switch" is blinking amber. I've looked at my power settings and bios. Everything looks fine as far as I can tell. Does anyone know what gives? Like I said, it works fine when in use. It just shuts off after some time when left unattended. There is nothing that pops out in the event manager, and my power settings are fine too (no hibernation, no sleep, no turn off hard drive, no turn off computer, no stand by)
    Thanks!
  • Take a close look at the motherboard.  I know it sounds like a long shot, but these 280's and 270's have had issues with bad caps.  Look at the ones near the processor, and look for any swelling or leaking.  If so have the board swapped out.  I have seen this before, and it was a problem with the caps.

See a photo of this here.

Regards,

Jon Morlan

Message Edited by MorJo15 on 10-11-2005 07:44 PM

• Jon,
    Thanks for the image and the advice!
    I opened up the case and looked closely at the MB. I did not see any leakage or swollen caps. This is on a small form factor case, so everything was a little tight. I removed the CPU fan to take a close look around that area but it all looked good.
    Any other suggestions?
    Do you know if dell would rma a computer and let me keep the HD so that I don't have to reload everything later?
    Thanks!
  • Assuming you're still under warranty, Dell won't just swap the system and give you another. They'll work with you to see if the issue can be narrowed down and then set up service for the part or parts that they suspect need to be replaced.

When you get the blinking amber leds, have you checked the rear of the unit for the diagnostic leds (marked A, B, C and D) to see if they reflect and specific combination of colors?

Member since 2003

• I would agree with the previous post, at this point I would open a issue with dell.  They are very good about fixing this if it is still under a warranty.  As far as data loss, I would not be concerned.  If they determine that this is an issue with the motherboard they will either send you a new one if your up to putting it in, or send some one onsite.  Either way I don't see keeping your HDD being a problem.

One thing you may want to do if you have time is download the bootable diags from support, or if you still have the bootable utilities CD.  Run the diags to see if anything pops up.  If you don't have them or cant find them, let me know and I'll email you an ISO image so you can burn them to a CD.

Regards,

Jon Morlan
  • One other thing, you may want to get to a current BIOS to see if this makes a difference, I believe that A05 is the latest for a GX280.  You can either flash it from dos, or just run the exe from within windows.  It's super easy to do.

Jon

• Thanks Jon.
    I ran the HD diagnostic tool from the boot menu and the HD checked out fine. I then downloaded the gui diagnostic tool but get this funny error when I run the exe:

Abnormal program termination: Memory protection fault
    CS:EIP = 01FFh:0000BB99h

So, I'm not sure what gives. I will flash the BIOS later today and send you an update.

Thanks!