Computer won't power up..amber light

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Computer won't power up..amber light

• I have a Dell 2400 series that won't power up. The light on the front is constantly amber.  Any ideas?

Thank you!
    Robyn
  • What are the diagnostic lights showing in the back?

R/
    Don I

D4400
    XP Home SP2
    Bios A06
    P4 2.8 GHz 400 FSB
    1024MB RAM
    BFG 6200 OC 256 MB AGP

• None on at all.
  • Might be the motherboard then.  Strip the motherboard down.  Disconnect all cards, drive cables etc.  If the sys boots then start adding a device one at time until the problem returns.  That would indicate the source of the problem.  If it doesnt boot  at all then it's ur mobo and ur going to need one.

R/
    Don I

D4400
    XP Home SP2
    Bios A06
    P4 2.8 GHz 400 FSB
    1024MB RAM
    BFG 6200 OC 256 MB AGP

• Hi,

I have extensively tried many ideas and have had Dells tech guy come out and replace the mother board.

A little about my machine.
    4700 P4 520 HT
    2.80 gig 256 ram 400Mhz
    Integrated intel graphics accelerator 900
    80 gig hard drive.

Having bought the machine back in December I did not expect to encounter the problems so quickly especially for the price that we paid for it. I’ve used the CPU since December with no real head aches until last weekend. I have not installed any new hard-soft ware. After computing, I logged off and shut down. The next morning, I go to fire it back up and just past all the checks, I get to the internet and it crashes with no warning. Odd, I give it a few minutes and decided to push the power back on. The amber light comes on and is blinking. Stumped and now angry, I unplug the power to the tower. I hear a “click” like a capacitor. Feeling lucky, I go to boot up and it does. After about 10 minutes this time, it crashes again. NO warning. I again unplug the power supply and try again, this time no luck it stays amber and does not allow me to boot up at all.

I have a laptop logged onto dells chat and go through all their “process’s” to figure this out. Unlplug fans Ram this that the other thing, basically stripped down the mother board to nothing. Plug everything back in and go to push and Walla...nothing but the amber light. Dell says they will send out a tech and fix the problem with the power supply. The tech shows up and replaces the mother board. Fire it up and no problems for the first 24 hours. However, after the first night computing, I turn it off and now can’t re-boot due to the amber light.

I just got off the chat line with Dell and at the moment they have no answers but to go back and do everything again. It is a shame after spending close to $1K for all this to have it happen and not to be able to get the problem resolved is more to salt to the wound.

If anyone has any answers before I log back onto chat and let them tell me to do everything again, I’d be all ears.

Thanks,
  • I am having the constant amber light on w/ my 8400 too.  Called Dell tech and they said it could be the video card (Geforce 6800) so a tech came out and replaced it today.  The problem wasn't resolved.  The tech thinks it could be the power supply or the motherboard, so he'll order both and replace those.  Luckily the pc is still under the 1 year warranty.  All this makes me wonder about the current quality of Dell computers.  I have always advised people I know to buy Dell pc's for their value and reliability, but I'll have to refrain from now on.  I have a Dimension 4100 that I've used for 5 years now and still going strong.  My advice to people buying a new Dell pc is to consider at least a 1 year warranty or possibly a 2 year one.  Good luck to all.
  • Spent an hour on the phone with Dell disconnecting things with no luck.  A new motherboard has been ordered.
  • Hey,

Good luck, as stated above, the tech came out and replaced the mother board. No help! Same thing, amber light won't let me boot up!

Anyone else? Does anyone from Dell read these forums?

(sorry, i'm new here)

Thanks,
  • I had the same problem with my sons 4700. I went thru all the steps to diagnose. Based on the lights on the back, it was a memory problem. I replaced the memory and even upped it from 512 to 1 gig and still had the problem. I replaced the power supply (which seems to be a weak spot on the 4700s and is very inadequate). Once the new power supply was in (475 watts) it worked perfectly for 3 months. Just this week, it started doing it all over again. When it does boot, the lights show no problem. But if I shut it down, it won't reboot and I get the amber light and 2 quick beeps which don't seem to mean anything according to the chart. The only way I have found to get it running is to unplug the power and remove the CR2032 battery for a few minutes (you'll have to reset the system time, etc). Then I reinstall the battery and plug it in. 60% of the time it will boot up, the rest of the time, the hard drive is working but there is no video. I press Ctrl/Alt/Del a few times and it will finally boot. We keep it on 24/7 now and reboot occasionally to clear it. I don't know why it worked for months with a new (after market) power supply and then started acting up again.
  • I just want to give an update on my situation.  My PC is working again after the on-site tech replaced the motherboard yesterday.  I had to wait exactly one week for the new mb to arrive.  Dell support told me there was a delay in getting the board from stock and that there was a supply shortage.  The Dell tech assigned to my case was helpful in responding to my phone calls and emails.

I noticed the new mb had bios version A02 on it and the cmos didn't show the L2 cache, so I installed the latest bios firmware A07 which fixed that issue.  By the way, as I wrote in my previous post, the video card was replaced during the first visit by Dell and I must say the new card is definitely working much better :smileyhappy:
  • Ok, that is some good news. But, when the tech came out and replaced my MB, my machine worked for 24 hours. After shutting down and trying to re-boot is when the Amber light came back...

Let us know,
  • Replace the rear fan if you have another 4 pin that will fit, my sister-in-laws 4700 did the same thing.

Dell Tech replaced everything, MB, CPU, RAM and Power Supply and the same thing happened again

Then a more experienced Dell Tech advised to replace the $3 fan and it worked.

• Yes, it is a fan problem. After (forgot how many hours) with Dell's chat and many more browsing these forums, I saw that Lee-hackin? sp? posted that it was a reversed fan issue causing a heat problem. A flaw that I am sure they did not anticipate.
    They have a dispatch to replace my PS and HD as well as to reverse the fan. After all is said and done, I hope to have finally a good machine.

Peace,