USB Hub in monitor doesn't work

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

USB Hub in monitor doesn't work

• New Dell Dimension 5000 with Dell 1704FPV monitor attached.

I've followed the instructions over and over again but I can't get the 4 USB ports in the monitor to come online.  I'm using a USB Data key to test, i plug it in the front of the PC and I've got a Flashdrive, I plug it in one of the monitor ports and nothing.

From the Dell System Profiler we see...

USB controllers
    Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
    Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
    Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A
    Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
    Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C
    IntelUSB Root Hub(Standard USB Host Controller)
    USB Root Hub(Standard USB Host Controller)
    Generic USB Hub(Generic USB Hub)
    USB Composite Device(Standard USB Host Controller)

... which I assume cover the three at the back and the two at the front of the mini-tower.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kevin
  • Is the 5000 with 17" flat panel attached a new model? I thought I kept up pretty well, but I've never heard of this one. Which, of course does not mean tnat it does not exist.
    Thanks
    Meredith
  • Kev0,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Here are some things to check to see if you can get the problem resolved.

USB Problems

SPECIFIC SYMPTOMS WHAT YOU EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
    USB interface is not working USB peripherals are not working
    • Check that your monitor is powered ON.
    • Reconnect the upstream cable to your computer.
    • Reconnect the USB peripherals (downstream connector). 
    • Switch off and then turn on the monitor again.
    High Speed USB 2.0 interface is slow. High Speed USB 2.0 peripherals working slowly or not at all.
    • Check that your computer is USB 2.0 capable.
    • Verify USB 2.0 source on your computer.
    • Reconnect the upstream cable to your computer.
    • Reconnect the USB peripherals (downstream connector). 

#iwork4Dell

• meredit42 wrote:
    Is the 5000 with 17" flat panel attached a new model? I thought I kept up pretty well, but I've never heard of this one. Which, of course does not mean tnat it does not exist.
    Thanks
    Meredith

It's available in Europe, but the documentation can be found on the US Dell site.
    I expect US availability soon. It's the modern BTX design.
  • The PC etc was bought from www.Dell.co.uk in their January sale and the monitor is described as...

Dell 1704FP 17" UltraSharpTM Flat Panel Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand

I'm pleased with it so far apart from a loose DVD/CD drive when I unpacked the thing (which cost me a 30 min call to Dell Support) and this USB Hub niggle.

Kevin

• I did find this on the monitor cd-rom and have done what it suggests, twice. 

I noticed the monitor was displaying as "generic plug-and-play" so I loaded the driver off the cd-rom and tried again.  Same (lack of) result.

On older, less valuable PCs I have been known to delete troublesome devices from Device Manager to force plug-and-play to rediscover them.  As the keyboard and mouse are also USB I'm being a little cautious.

Another test I could try is to swap the monitor to my other USB1 equipt PC just to test.

Do either of these actions sound worthwhile?

Kevin
  • I have a new Dimension 8400 with a new 17 inch Ultrasharp Flat Panel. The USB hub in the monitor was working, then quit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB device and it either comes back as a Generic USB Hub that is unable to start (Code 10) or as an unknown device. Doesn't matter where it is plugged in on the 8400.

Sam
  • Hi,

I work for a small business in the UK, and we recently ordered three new dell machines with the 17" flatscreen monitors which you mentioned.

The USB hub on one of the monitors went down after only a few weeks of use. The computers are all running Windows XP Pro (service pack 2), and I got the error message:

USB Device not recognised

when I unplugged and replugged the USB cable from the computer to the monitor. After trying all the usual fixes, reinstalling monitor and usb drivers, changing usb ports/cables etc, I called Dell. Talked to them for about an hour, before they admitted the fault must lie with the monitor, and replaced it within a week.

A couple of months later the same thing has happened again. It seems to be a hardware fault, /but/ the problem has only ocurred on the one out of three near identical computer - and it has happened again even when the monitor has been replaced with an entirely new one.

So as it stands I am no closer to figuring out exactly what is going wrong. My experience tells me that the chances of 2 monitors developing such hardware faults is unlikely, but I have yet to find what else might be causing it.

George Millard
  • I think I may have found a solution?
    In the Device Manager, I disabled the device and exited Device Manager, then went back in to Device Manager and enabled the device. Windows said hardware had changed and needed to restart. After the restart, the device has been working .. so far.

Sam
  • By the way, I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Sam

• I have a 1703fp monitor and the usb' s on it use to work. I do remember updating to SP2 and they stopped working. It keeps saying usb not recognized. I called Dell and to no help, they said it was the cable, then they said it was the monitor. They sent me a 1704fpt and I got the same message. After reading all kinds of posts, it almost seems that SP2 might have something to do with this. Does anyone agree? 
  • Poorfellar,

Have you tried this?

In the Device Manager, disable the device and exit Device Manager, then go back in to Device Manager and enable the device. Windows says, hardware has changed and needs to restart. After the restart, the device has been working.

Sam