4500 has started making a loud ringing noise

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

4500 has started making a loud ringing noise

• My fairly new Dimension 4500 has developed a loud ringing noise and I cant seem to find the source. The fans are all quiet and it seems to be coming from the heat sink on the Pentium 4 processor. Is this normal or does anyone have any ideas where it could be coming from? Its very annoying and can hear it from 20 feet away in my family room. 

• DMKiefer wrote:
    My fairly new Dimension 4500 has developed a loud ringing noise and I cant seem to find the source. The fans are all quiet and it seems to be coming from the heat sink on the Pentium 4 processor. Is this normal or does anyone have any ideas where it could be coming from? Its very annoying and can hear it from 20 feet away in my family room. 

Hi,

Does it sound like a phone ringing? The reason I ask is that if you have a V92 modem it will ring inside your case, even when your online.
    Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Helping Dell talkers here since 1997

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• No, it doesnt sound like a phone ringing. Its more like a constant high pitched ring from a tuning fork but much louder. I opened up the case again last night to see if I missed anything but there is nothing in there to make this noise unless the CPU makes a noise that is resonating through the heat sink.
  • This sounds like the hard drive, as it is located close to where the processor is when the case is closed. Is it an IBM hard drive by any chance? The reason I ask is that I had the same high pitched ringing on my system. It started out as a periodic noise but then turned into a constant noise until one day upon bootup my hard drive was not detected and died, taking 40GB of my info with it. Thankfully I had backed up the previous weekend. As that and the rear exhaust fan are the only constantly moving parts of your system, they could be the only 2 culprits. My advice would be to open up your case, turn on your computer and put your ear near the hard drive and see if that is where the noise is coming from. It is highly unlikely that the noise is coming from the processor, in fact it is impossible as there are no moving parts there.

If it DOES turn out to be your hard drive, BACKUP IMMEDIATELY and call Dell tech support ASAP!

Hope this helps.

System 1

MSI 645 DDR motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 1.6A Ghz @ 2.4 Ghz, 150Mhz FSB
    1 GB Samsung DDR PC2700
    120GB 8MB Cache Western Digital HD
    Lite-On 16X DVD
    Lite-On CDRW 48x 12x 48x
    Sony SDM-M51 TFT LCD
    PNY GeForce TI4200 64MB DDR RAM
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    SIIG USB 2.0/Firewire Combo PCI Card
    Conexant V92 56K Modem
    3COM Etherlink 10/100
    VEO PC Camera
    HP Scanjet 4400C
    Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Router
    Cambridge Soundworks SUB/SAT speakers

System 2

MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.4Ghz
    640 MB PC133
    30GB 2MB Cache Western Digital HD
    Lite-On 16X DVD
    Compaq FS740 Monitor
    GeForce 2 GTS 32MB
    3COM Etherlink 10/100

• DMKiefer.

See if this article can help you locate noise.

http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=1033989

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the troubleshooter guide this weekend when I have more time. I read through the article and it sounds like that will nail down the souce of the ringing. If I find it I will post an update. In the mean time, keep the suggestions coming guys!