Restore my volume control?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Restore my volume control?

• I cannot figure out how to restore my volume control program.  It does not show up in any of my Start menu folders.  When I go to Control Panel/Sounds and click on the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" I get the message " Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume control program has not been installed.  To use it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel".

Currently I have no sound coming out of my system.  It used to work just fine.  I cannot relate this change to any significant event on my PC.

I don't see where I can add the volume control program using any of the Add/Remove Programs pathways.

Any suggestions?

• It sounds like you need to reinstall your audio drivers.  Something has apparently either corrupted or removed your driver installation.  See your system documentation and/or the Solutions tab above (then "Reinstall Guides") for information on how to accomplish this.  If you need more assistance, post your specific system model and operating system details here.  It would also help to know which sound device you have installed, too, i.e., integrated audio, Sound Blaster, etc.  If you're not sure, see your invoice, or include a Service Tag ID in a new post.

Dell Support will also walk you through driver reinstallation over the phone, if you'd prefer to resolve things in that fashion.

• Gopher1,

Flooby wrote: "It sounds like you need to reinstall your audio drivers."

Hold off on that suggestion. Just go into your Add/Remove programs and click on your Windows Setup tab. Then go to your Multimedia components. Uncheck the checkmark. Reboot your machine. Get your Windows CD handy. Return to the Add/Remove programs. Reclick the Windows Setup tab. Recheck the Multimedia components (make certain everything is checked by going into the "details" button). When the Windows dialog begins, insert your Windows CD. The extraction will begin. When it is finished, you will be directed to reboot before everything is applied. Reboot. Now check your Start|programs. Your Multimedia components: sound recorder, volume control, etc. should be there. If not, then you may need something extraordinary...like Flooby's advice.
  •  i'm having the same problem,but exactly what window cd? should it be the dell resource cd or the me reinstallation cd?

i have uninstalled and reinstalled both hardware sbpci 64v and the software,even uncheck and recheck the multimedia box in the 'windows setup'dialog tab(i restarted my cpu) and still although the icon shows in the start

menu(the volume control) but not on the far right task bar, the mixer panel will not show,neither does it appear in the sound,recording,voice preference drop down list of the sound and multimedia dialog box.

Ps. i'm using the 2496 audiophile,but i uninstalled all to fix the sound blaster audio pci 64v.

thanks for any further help you can provide!

'D'

• guitsound wrote:

,but exactly what window cd? should it be the dell resource cd or the me reinstallation cd?

hi D,

To the best of my knowledge, it should be the ME installation CD that shipped with your Dell.

What happens when you go to START | RUN and type in sndvol32.exe?

Gwynn
  •  hi there Gwynn, thank you for the reply!

nothing happens,not even the "cannot find file type" appears for this one,however, when i right click the volume icon a click properties,click find target,takes into windows folder in there i see the 'SNDVOL32.EXE' ICON FILE,but when i click it,nothing happens at all!

yes i do have the 'DELL ME CD' AND TO ALSO THE 'DELL RESOURCE CD' which this one haves the sound blaster audio pci 64v drivers which should have the virtual mixer,but to no avail,no show.  

• guitsound wrote:

"...however, when i right click the volume icon a click properties,click find target,takes into windows folder in there i see the 'SNDVOL32.EXE' ICON FILE,but when i click it,nothing happens at all!"

hi,d,

Forget the icon file that means nothing more than that you can view an icon of the volume control.

Do you see the Sndvol32.exe file listed in the Windows folder?

"yes i do have the 'DELL ME CD' AND TO[sic] ("too" ?) ALSO THE 'DELL RESOURCE CD' which this one haves [?] the sound blaster audio pci 64v drivers which should have the virtual mixer,but to no avail,no show."[?]

...in english,...please. I'm not a mind-reader you know. I'm just like you. Just someone trying to help out. So give me a break and do your best to convey exactly in english what is going on.

Gwynn
  •  let me say this in short, my volume control panel will not appear,pop up when i click on the sndvol icon.  a panel like mixer viryual board comes on when you click on the icon,but in my case it's not coming up like it use to,even when i reinstall from the resource cd (dell) that have the sbpci audio 64v.

i will try the (ME) dell cd.

thanks!                   

• guitsound,

You wrote: "...a panel like mixer viryual board comes on when you click on the icon,"

• When you open a mediaplayer and play a file, do you have sound?

• With the "...panel like mixer viryual board" visible, do you see the green, yellow, red movement in the Play Control volume meter?
  • please don't take no offense to this,but when i wrote at first i added that i have the 2496 audiophile soundcard.(that works & works well) it is with the 'sound

-blaster audio pci 64v sound card. i also said that the mixer that suppost to work with that use to come on,but don't appear anymore! .........the volume control box

is check when i go into the windows setup tab in the add and remove program in order for the components to work especially as i click on the volume control icon,however the sound blaster is not showing up in my sound and media dialog box drop down list,but my 2496 audiophile does.yes both are shown in the device manager  listed in the sound,video & games. NOTE: the '2496audiophile

is the better between the two,but in the pass i at times switch between the two for different reasons. i have deleted the panel mixer for 'sbpci 64v' about 2002,

and i have not used it since,but this year for my own reason,decided to reinstall the "sbpci 64v soundcard" as welll as the drivers that comes with it,which is suppose to have its own mixer  like before,but to no avail,no show.

thanks i appreciate your reply!