Dimension 4700 NO SOUND

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dimension 4700 NO SOUND

This question is not answered

Hello to all,

I re-installed Windows XP on my system and have not had sound since.  I've been through all the diagnostics and been to Dell's site to update the audio drivers and still no luck.  Here's the deal... if I go to device manager and click on the <properties> tab of the audio components according to my system every component is fine and enabled.  If I try to play an audio CD I get the message "audio cannot be found.  Fast forward to now and I just got a DELL Resource CD off of ebay thinking I would be able to restore my drivers and run the diagnostic check.  Was able to do the check and 3 out of 6 performances failed relating to playback sound.  Also got 3 error codes as well. I've checked to make sure all my drivers were installed in order, done the BIOS setup making sure my audio is enabled, updated my chipset drivers, etc... I've run out of mental energy to continue.  I saw the thread that 'Firebird' replied to and took his advice in order to get my audio back and he mentioned that the 4700 can be installed with a 'low profile PCI card'.  If that's the case than I am going to do this but before I do I need to know what manufacturer the forum would recommend before purchasing.  Thanks for any replies.

All Replies
  • Did you install the Intel Motherboard chipset drivers?  They must be installed before installing the sound drivers, and you need Dell sound drivers as non-Dell will either not work or not work correctly (e.g. don't let Windows install the sound drivers).

It doesn't sound like your integrated sound chip is defectinve.  Most sound problems during a reinstall is caused by not installing in proper order and skipping the Intel chipset drivers. 

If you have a full size 4700, not the 4700C then a full size standard PCI sound card will work.  But, I would work on  the integrated sound first.  Usually, intalling the Intel chipset drivers, restarting the PC and then installing the Dell sound drivers will take care of it.  In a few cases it will take new correct sequence install to get everything working properly. 

HERE is the Dell downloads.  Download the Intel chipset drivers and then the Analog Devices ADI198X sound drivers.   Download each one directly DO NOT use the Dell download manager.

If it still does not work after installing the chipset drivers and sound drivers as I listed, it's time for a complete new install.  Install sequence (1) Install Winfows (2) Install Dell Desktop System Software - also available on the linked downloads (3) Install Intel Motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including Video, Dell sound driver, ethernet, etc.  

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks for your reply Firebird.  I will do what you recommended.    Should I go to Intels website to download the chipset driver or would Dell have that? I downloaded the chipset driver from Dell but it was never classified as 'Intel'  Either way I will give it a shot.  Thanks again.

• The Dell chipset driver, in the downloads I linked you to is what you must use. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Hello Fireberd,

Did exactly that, to no avail was still soundless.  Installed a PCI sound card, install went well for the exception that my CD drive now does not function? I installed the driver CD and my system now does not detect the drive...at all.  I know the drive works as it functions properly and you can hear the CD spin inside.  Basically speaking, still no sound probably for the fact that I couldn't install the drivers. Went to disk management and all that is shown is my external hard drive and 'C' drive.  I'm ready to put a stick of dynamite in the system to put it out of its misery...and mine.  I will start a new thread about the drive.