trying to reinstall xp os, but INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing status 47872 set up cannot continue.

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

trying to reinstall xp os, but INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing status 47872 set up cannot continue.

This question is not answered

Can't seem to be able to use the ctrl+F11 to take my dell deminsion 2400 with XP to take my computer back to the original factory  settings. When I tried to boot with the xp disc I got the INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing message. Any ideas how to get this done?

All Replies
  • If the Dell recovery partition is corrupted you will have to do a manual reinstall using the Dell supplied Windows XP disc and the Drivers and Utilities disc.  If you have lost the Drivers and Utilities disc you can download needed drivers HERE

Keep in mind the correct, and required, install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers including sound, video, ethernet, etc.  DO NOT skip the chipset drivers or some of the devices will not install including the sound.

BTW, you posted in the Desktop AUDIO section (for audio problems).  The most applicable section would have been the Microsoft OS section.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks fireberd, don't know how it got to audio. Tried manually loading the xp disc, thats when I got the error message about the missing or corrupt file. Can't get the computer on line so can't download anything. Have all the discs.  

• HERE is the Dell procedure for a manual install, check it out and see if you are missing.

However, before trying a complete reinstall (including reformatting the hard drive), try the XP Repair procedure and see if that will fix it.  How to run repair

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.