DELL Studio XPS 435MT has no audio on the back panel

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

DELL Studio XPS 435MT has no audio on the back panel

This question is not answered

I just started setting up my computer and noticed I don't have any audio coming from the back panel.  I checked and Realtek High Definition is on the computer.  Also, I'm running Vista.  I downloaded a new driver off of the Dell page and still no audio.  I downloaded the driver off of the Realtek page and still no audio.  I've plugged the speakers into every autio port in the back panel and still no sound.  I plugged headphones into the front port and did get sound.  Any help to get sound from my speakers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

All Replies
  • Try plugging the headset into the rear GREEN speaker connection and see if you have sound.  If you do then the problem is in your speakers.  If there is still no sound, check the Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Sounds and make sure your speakers are set as the default playback device.  You can also test the speakers from that panel.

If that is not the problem and since it's a new PC it's best to call Dell support.

Note, in most cases it's best to use the Dell provided sound drivers.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• fireberd,

Thanks for the help.  I plugged my headphones into the back panel and had sound on the GREEN speaker connection.  So I guess it's my speakers.  Can speakers really be too old for a new system?  I'll head over to Best Buy this weekend and pick up a new pair.

About the drivers, do you think I should toss the drivers I downloaded from Realtek and reinstall the Realtek drivers from DELL?  I ask, because the drivers from Realtek, if memory serves me right, were newer than the Realtek drivers DELL offered.

• First the speakers.  Powered analog speakers (ones with a built in power amp) are need.  Many old PC's didn't require speakers with a built in power amplifier and Gateway used Digital speakers on many systems and the digital system that was used on the Gateway's is incompatibile with current digtial sound standards.

Most Wal-Mart Super Centers also have several price range computer speakers.

If everything is working OK, you can leave the non-Dell drivers installed.  But, if something isn't working properly then consider uninstalling the Realtek and reinstalling the Dell drivers. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

• Firebred,

I picked up some speakers this weekend and they work just fine.  Thanks again for the help.

• fireberd,

I am writing a generic macro for "My sound is not working". Did I leave anything out?

* Open the Device Manager- Sound, video and game controllers
    * Is your sound card listed without any bangs?
    * If it is not listed or has a bang, you should reinstall the PC chipset driver and restart the PC
    * Then, reinstall the sound card driver and restart the PC

Windows XP
    * Double click the speaker icon in the taskbar
    * Click Options- Properties
    * The Mixer device should show your sound card. For example, mine shows Realtek HD Audio output
    * Insert a dot to Playback
    * Check all
    * Click OK
    * Nothing should be muted and all volumes should be about 50%
    * Insert a music CD into the top CD/DVD drive
    * Start playing it using Windows Media Player
    * If you do not hear sound through the speakers, connect headphones to the sound card green jack. Do you hear sound? If you do, then the problem is in your speakers
    * If there is still no sound with the headphones, open the Control Panel- Sounds and Audio Devices- Audio and make sure your sound card is set as the Sound playback Default device

Windows Vista
    * Right click the speaker icon in the taskbar
    * Click Open Volume Mixer
    * The Mixer device should show your sound card. For example, mine shows Speakers High Definition Audio Device
    * Nothing should be muted and all volumes should be about 50%
    * If you do not hear sound through the speakers, connect headphones to the sound card green jack. Do you hear sound? If you do, then the problem is in your speakers
    * If there is still no sound with the headphones, open the Control Panel- Hardware and Sound- Sound and under the Playback tab make sure Speakers has a green check and list your sound card

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Chris, what you have there is good for basic "no sound". 

One thing to add is for those that do a reinstall.  The biggest problem is not installing the chipset drivers. If the chipset drivers are skipped (not installed) then the sound drivers cannot be installed and if they try to install the sound drivers the driver install will not find a sound device.   I have also encountered several that did not install the chipset drivers and after installing the chipset drivers and then the correct sound drivers there is still no sound and in a few isolated cases a complete reinstall with the correct install sequence is needed to get the sound working.

I am not a Dell Employee