DELL Dimension 5150 - no sound, problem with sound device

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

DELL Dimension 5150 - no sound, problem with sound device

This question is not answered

Suddenly, no sound through speakers! Trying to play a CD via Windows Media Player I get the message: "WMP cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

worked fine until a couple of days ago - I think one of the speaker leads came loose and may have been plugged into the wrong port at the back of the PC however. Have been through the windows troubleshooting tips. Looking at properties of sound and audio devices I see No Audio Device within Volume tab and in Audio I don't have the option to view and select a default device in Sound playback or sound recording.

Believe I need Sigmatel STAC9220. Have downloaded and installed new driver (r114282.exe) from DELL and on install I get the error message:

device object not present, restart system and run setup again

This is installed this in C:/Dell/Drivers.

I have another folder C:/Drivers containing a folder AUDIO with folder r120236.

Do I need to unistall one before installing the other? Does it need to install in same folder?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

All Replies
  • I have an E510 which is the US version of the 5150.

The first thing to try is the System Restore and restore the PC back to a date when it did work.  System Restore can be accessed by Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.  System Restore will not delete any user data or e-mails.

If that does not fix it, System Restore has an option to undo the restore and it will put you back to the current state. 

First step (if system restore does not work), enter the BIOS (setup) - F2 at boot up and make sure the Integrated (on board) audio is enabled in the BIOS.  Next, boot up the PC and after Windows finishes loading, install the Intel Chipset drivers and then the Dell SigmaTel drivers.   The chipset drivers define what is on or attached to the motherboard and on a complete reinstall the chipset drivers must be installed BEFORE installing the sound. 

The Chipset drivers are HERE

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Hi - have tried these options in turn (restore, BIOS check, and install Chipset drivers) but no luck. I reversed the restore once I'd seen it had not resolved the problem. Having installed Chipset drivers I have downloaded and attempted to install the recommended driver for Sigmatel STAC9220 and again get the message "Device object not present, restart system and run setup again". Still not detecting any sound device via sound settings in control panel.

I now have folders within C:/Dell/Drivers for R114282 (driver) and R114566 (chipset) plus a R120236 folder at C:/Drivers/audio and an SP folder at C:/Drivers/system/onboard/ which looks to contain similar files to the chipset folder r114566.

I was wondering whether to save the chipset and driver files in C:/Drivers/ rather than the prompted C:/Dell/Drivers?

• Hi - am still stuck. I'm thinking that a hardware problem is most likely cause as I have tried a restore and reinstalling chipset and drivers without success. The dual location of audio driver files (C:/Dell/Drivers and C;/Drivers)on my hard drive seems odd though. Is there a way I can determine for sure whether this is a hardware problem? The PC is out of warranty so if I need to replace the sound device on the PC I may need the help of an engineer unless this is a job that a motherboard novice could take on. Appreciate the help so far.

• I'm not sure about the folders.  I don't use the Integrated Audio on my E510 and thus do not use the Dell drivers.  (Actually the PC is not often used since I have built a new PC). 

The best thing I can tell you is to follow the Dell installation instructions for each driver exactly. 

It's rare that there is a hardware problem with the sound, almost every case is drivers and how they were installed.  If at some point "IDT" drivers were installed for the sound, the ONLY way to reinstall the Dell SigmaTel drivers is to do a complete reinstallation.  Perhaps, is this the case?  If not an IDT driver issue, along with the drivers the Operating System can become corrupted and if that happens the ONLY option is a complete reinstallation - either using the Dell Recovery Partition on the hard drive (CTRL/F11 at initial boot up) or a complete manual reinstallation and that sequence (including reformatting the hard drive) is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device Drivers such as sound, video etc.  The reinstall, either by the Dell recovery or manually will erase all your user data and if you decide to reinstall, back up your user data (e.g. to CD's or some other external device).

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.