IDT HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CODEC error of This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

IDT HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CODEC error of This device cannot start. (Code 10)

• I have a Dimension E510 running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3

I lost my hard drive and had to reinstall Operating System from disks supplied by Dell. Everything works except the audio. I have uninstalled and let the system reinstall the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC several times. It does not seem to find the correct driver. I have run Driver Detective to update the driver. Still no success.

The Audio worked fine before the hard drive failed. I even recovered all data off failed hard drive thanks to Seagate data recovery software.

Device manager reports: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Current driver: Driver Date 9/5/2007 Driver Version 5.10.5607.0 Driver Provider IDT.

I have searched many forums without success.

I would appreciate suggestions.

Thank you

• I have an E510.

The correct reinstall sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install device drivers, such as the sound. 

If the chipset drivers were omitted, sound drivers will not install.

Second the "IDT" sound drivers are the incorrect drivers for the Dell Integrated Audio.  Also, the IDT drivers from Microsoft have caused many problems and users have had to either use System Restore to remove them or a clean reinstall to get rid of them.  SigmaTel is now "IDT" but you must use the Dell provided SigmaTel drivers as Dell uses a proprietary implementation of the SigmaTel audio.

Check the BIOS (setup) and make sure the on-board audio is enabled in the BIOS as that could also case the "code 10". 

If you didn't install the chipset drivers, install them and then install the Dell SigmaTel drivers.  Usually that will work, however with the IDT drivers installed or partially installed there is no guarantee that it will work and ultimately you may have to do another complete reinstall.

Dell E510 Downloads

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Fireberd you are the man!

Life is good I now have sound again.

Thank you.

Message Edited by rick5678 on 09-06-2008 12:54 PM