Optiplex 330 Microphone problem with Skype

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Optiplex 330 Microphone problem with Skype

• I am using a dell optiplex 330 desktop computer. when i installed skype into my cpu, I have to always enable microphone from the SOUND MAX software( when MIC connect to the REAR mic/ line in port) . otherwise it will be disabled always.In this desktop there is only single port for microphone and for the Line In. but when I connect the MIC into front MIC port it's working perfectly. Problem with  the rear MIC port.
  • I had the same problem.  After considerable frustration (from reverting to front-input), I discovered:

1) While Sound Max allows multiple mic-inputs, only one is permitted to be checked (active). How and why my choice of rear-input would revert to the front (mic) input during boot-up remains a mystery to me. 

2) I could consistently keep the rear input active by un-checking the "microphone" (front-panel) option (i.e., allowing only the rear-input option.).  I found this choice available in WinXP-Pro's ControlPanel/Sounds&Audio/AudioTab. Click SoundRecordingVolume.  Choose/Options/Properties in the resulting window..  Unchecking "Microphone" and checking." Rear Input" forced my rear input to remain connected

3) Microphone Boost (Advanced) helped my mic's voice quality during Skype calls.